OtakuBoards

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

James

[center][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]E3 2010[/font] - PS3 (PlayStation Network)
[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"][size="5"]Scott Pilgrim vs The World[/size][/font]

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"][size="5"][size="2"][media][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAY4vNJd7A8"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yAY4vNJd7A8[/url][/media][/size][/size][/font]
[attachment=14754:1.jpeg] [attachment=14755:2.jpeg] [attachment=14756:3.jpeg] [attachment=14757:4.jpeg]
[attachment=14758:5.jpeg] [attachment=14759:6.jpeg] [attachment=14760:7.jpeg] [attachment=14761:8.jpeg]
[/center]
[font="Palatino Linotype"]I have been meaning to post about this game for a little while and I'm now finally getting around to it. There are so many games at E3 that I want to buy, it would take me forever to create all the topics - not to mention the fact that I'd end up completely broke! Anyway, I figured Zelda would be more well-known, but now I want to show you guys a little game that I'm really excited about. At this stage, Scott Pilgrim vs The World is due to be released for PlayStation 3 via the PlayStation Network - apparently there will be an Xbox 360 version, but Ubisoft did not discuss that at E3. Presumably the 360 edition will arrive a little later.

Before I start, I should also mention that I have not read the Scott Pilgrim comics. Prior to reading about the game, I had absolutely no idea who the character is. After having read about the game some more though, I'm actually pretty keen to check out the comics (maybe someone can advise whether they are worthwhile or not).

For the uninitiated, though, Scott Pilgrim vs The World is basically a beat 'em up game that is closely based on a comic book of the same name. Much of the gaming media has described this game as being somewhat like Streets of Rage, if only to give everybody a pretty clear picture of the gameplay style. There is certainly a plot going on, but the main aim of the game is beating up a ton of people in a 2D environment.

What I really find awesome about the concept, though, is the story: Scott is a slacker living in Toronto and he has fallen in love with a girl called Ramona Flowers (who happens to deliver packages for Amazon.ca). The catch, though, is that if Scott wants to date Romona, he must first defeat her seven ex-boyfriends (who, I assume, will end up being boss type characters in the game itself).

For the most part, it looks as though this is a fairly typical side-scrolling fighting game. What differs, though, are the little touches. Apparently if you hold down the heavy attack button, your character will say a taunt - but if two characters do this while near each other, both will pull out an instrument and start jamming. Other players can join in - the resulting rock anthem seems to amount to a kind of super-attack that wipes out all the enemies on the screen. Awesome.

There's also this thing called "subspace", which I'd liken to a warp zone. You can access subspace through different points in levels - at this stage it seems that the subspace sections are a little bit like those weird subspace areas from Super Mario Bros. 2 (except that in this game, they come complete with flying piggy banks that you can break open). I am not sure if the subspace areas allow you to actually travel from one point to another, or if they're just a little bonus area. Either way, they're kind of cool.

There are a ton of reasons I'm interested in this game, even though it doesn't seem to be re-inventing the wheel. I love the style of the graphics and the entire concept just seems hilarious - I can imagine playing this with a group of people and having heaps of laughs. I don't think I can say much more than what the trailer actually shows!

The game arrives on PS Network on August 10th (I don't know if this is a worldwide date or just North America). Anyone else interested in picking this one up?
[/font]

[quote name='Solayo' date='28 June 2010 - 10:25 AM' timestamp='1277681129' post='696061']
I haven't read the comics either but people I know who have read them say it's good and very addicting. I won't be able to play the game, since I don't have a PS3.
[/quote]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Yeah, now I'm kind of inspired to read the comics myself. :)

Although I have a PS3, I think I'm going to be nearly broke by the time this game is released, haha.

(Thank you for replying by the way; I was starting to feel that this game may actually not interest anyone!)
[/font]

[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]Just borrowed the comic from a friend of mine and began reading it today and it's pretty flippin' awesome, definitely worth a read. I happen to live about 20 minutes away from where most of the comic takes place (Toronto) so I've actually been to a lot of the places mentioned in the comic which is very surreal but neat. There's even a section of the comic where the main character's band lands a gig at a place called "Lee's Palace" which happens to be the very same club my band played our first show at (the exact same place!). That blew my mind.

It's a light-hearted comedy-adventure with an iconic main character whom you'll love after reading only the first page. I'm still making my way through it, but if you haven't read it and you love crazy-outlandish adventures with kick ass fighting (and music!) then you'll love this. Yes, there are songs in the comic and the author actually provides chords and lyrics. I can't wait to hear my favourite Canadian bands (Metric! <3) play their versions of the songs for the motion picture.

[i]As for the game[/i], it looks like it's staying very true to the comic (from what I've read, anyway). I haven't played a good side-scrolling beat 'em up in a long time and it has left a void in my gamer soul (my friends and I recently dusted off the SNES and are playing Turtles in Time just to fill that void, hehe). Actually, the last good co-op beat 'em up I played was Castle Crashers and it was fairly short (but fun nonetheless with 3 other friends) so I'm confident that no matter how short or poor the game turns out being it'll still be a whack of fun with some friends (but fingers crossed its good).

So, I popped in the thread to tell everyone here to read the comic before seeing the movie/playing the game because it's awesome! :sly: [/font][/color]

• 1 month later...
This game adds to the reasons why I need to hurry and get a PS3. I've always been Playstation and Nintendo faithful and will continue to be. I have the Wii and I love it but this game may push me over the edge to use the $300 to get this game system.

The comic is something Ive only glimpse over. I havent really had any time to read any comic due to my classes but I hope to get the comics soon enough.

Further more,Im adding this game to the wishlist.

As a child of the 80's I grew up in the era of glorious 8-bit when the phrase "arcade quality graphics" actually meant something.  As gaming systems become more advanced and games look more realistic I find myself caring less and less about the industry.

So when I watched this video and heard the tinny 8-bit BGM my blood started to boil.  The fact that retro-style games like this are still being produced are what's prolonging my life as a gamer.  Sadly this game is only available to PS3 owners so I'll miss out.  If it were being released on the PSP I'd definitely buy it though.

• 3 weeks later...
[font="Palatino Linotype"]I just bought this yesterday and I've played a bit of it (literally only about fifteen minutes or so, though).

So far, so good. I only have a couple of gripes at this point.

One is that the collision detection can occasionally be a bit funny. You need to be exactly level with an enemy (vertically level, that is) in order to hit them. This can be so sensitive that sometimes you'll virtually be standing in front of someone and you'll both be punching/kicking but not hitting each other. It can be a little frustrating at times.

And secondly, the walk/run mechanic is kind of annoying. It's not a huge deal, but basically to "run", you need to flick the stick twice quickly in the direction you want to run. That sounds fine in principle, until you realise that the walking speed generally feels too slow. I found it necessary to run quite a lot, but because of the double-tap mechanic, it's easy to break in and out of a run without trying. I found that most frustrating of all.

Having said that, the visuals are awesome, the actual fighting mechanics are (so far) pretty good and there has been a little bit of variety due to the subspace stages. It's still very very early of course, but I'm hoping that the game will open out a whole lot more as time goes on.[/font]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='James' date='22 August 2010 - 11:45 PM' timestamp='1282538749' post='699750']
[font="Palatino Linotype"]And secondly, the walk/run mechanic is kind of annoying. It's not a huge deal, but basically to "run", you need to flick the stick twice quickly in the direction you want to run. That sounds fine in principle, until you realise that the walking speed generally feels too slow. I found it necessary to run quite a lot, but because of the double-tap mechanic, it's easy to break in and out of a run without trying. I found that most frustrating of all.
[/font]
[/quote]

[color=deeppink]You can change that to a single quick flick in the options. It's not perfect either; the game sometimes has trouble differentiating between a quick flick and a slow one.

Question for those with the 360 version: I'm having trouble getting the Power of Love code to work. Supposedly it's XXXABAYY on the title screen, but for the life of my I can't seem to pull it off. What am I doing wrong?[/color]