OtakuBoards

Inception

CaNz

[img]http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt278/PandasQ/inception.jpg[/img]

From the director that gave us Dark Knight, Christopher Nolan is most likely going to find this movie will further aid his reputation. being the writer, producer and director is a feat on its own. an amazing cast was selected for the movie. the main star of this and so many other hi budget movies was Leonardo DiCaprio. it seems as though if a movie wants to do well, and is willing to spend a lot of money to make it, they cast DiCaprio. I cant complain because he usually delivers, and he definitly deserverd his salt in this one. aside from good old Leo, inception has a cast were almost every lead role is filled by actors who had a lead role hit of there own. basicly... lots of good things went into this... so the product had to be good.

the movie felt like the Matrix, though there were as many explosions as Dark Knight, as well as quite a few dark parts in the movie. the movie did try hard to keep its foundation in the real world, making it easy to believe this fantastic dreamworld. It was well written, save for one small problem i had. i believe it was an attempt at foreshadowing, but it was more like just giving out an important plot piece far too early. it was if they Nolan though if you said the line fast enough or only showed it once people would forget, but as for me i realized two important plot elements far before it was revealed.

knowing a few details didn't stop me from loving the movie though. the action is intense and it is very aesthetically pleasing (did I mention high budget?) and the acting was very polished and compelling (this was the first Ellen page movie I didnt see here as the Juno persona, so i think this movie is really wizard for her), all while mentaining quite an original plot

[center]i definitely have to recommend this one.
[/center] Edited by CaNz

• 2 weeks later...
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]*Holds totem gingerly*

Excellent movie, some great twists and turns throughout the whole thing (though sadly I'd figured out the near ending a while before it actually got to that point). Very Nolan, not quite as intriguing as Memento though I put that down to Di Caprio coming off with his usual wooden performance in a role which required a much, much more emotive actor. Most of the other performances were great (I was hoping to see more of Michael Caine), Tom Hardy's witty British mannerisms probably netting him the favourite performance although Joseph Gordon-Lovett's straight-man performance a great contrast to work him off.

Ending was a tad predictable although the fact it's left undisclosed does leave one feeling a bit better (I'm convinced it would stay spinning). Perhaps the only thing about the movie I can't understand, and the one spoiler I will give is why [spoiler]the "dream machine" is connected to a person's arm veins rather than their brain/spinal-cord/other CNS/PNS route.[/spoiler][/size][/font] Edited by Gavin

[quote name='Gavin' date='04 August 2010 - 01:11 PM' timestamp='1280945464' post='698792']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Ending was a tad predictable although the fact it's left undisclosed does leave one feeling a bit better (I'm convinced it would stay spinning).[/size][/font]
[/quote]
[font="Arial"][spoiler]Unless I'm forgetting something, I'm pretty sure he never got kicked out. Can't remember if they ever showed him being kicked, but if they didn't, they might as well have said it didn't happen unless they're looking for some gimmick to hang a sequel or spin-off on, lol. So yeah, I'm convinced it would stay spinning, too. Fading to black before the top got a chance to topple seems like just some ploy to make the seem movie deeper, and give people something to talk about and more reason to see it again/buy the DVD so they can see it again to try to figure it out.[/spoiler][/font]

[quote name='Gavin' date='04 August 2010 - 01:11 PM' timestamp='1280945464' post='698792']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]the one spoiler I will give is why [spoiler]the "dream machine" is connected to a person's arm veins rather than their brain/spinal-cord/other CNS/PNS route.[/spoiler][/size][/font]
[/quote]
[font="Arial"][color="#A0522D"][i]Disclaimer:[/i] By reading the following spoiler you agree that you are at least 18 years of age, and acknowledge lapses in maturity even among adults. Also that you have read the spoiler in the above quote otherwise this will go over your head:[/color]
[spoiler]lol you said penis[/spoiler][/font] Edited by PiroMunkie

I saw this movie a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say it was the best movie I've seen in a long, long while. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but it's so rare for Hollywood to produce something this complex, intelligent and thought-provoking that I couldn't help but to feel mesmerized by it.

Joseph Gordon-Lewitt's and Ellen Paige's characters were the most interesting for me, even though I would've wanted to learn more about them (well, maybe in the sequel, Inception: Reloaded ;P ), and their acting performance was top-notch too.

As negative points, most of the fighting scenes in the movie felt like filler (how can someone even get wounded in a dream, anyway?), and in my opinion they could've used the "dream powers" more prominently during the big mission (it just couldn't compare to the impact that the scene where [spoiler]Ariadne changed the city for the first time[/spoiler] gave me).

But yeah, I definitely loved the movie, and the very ending was really the best way out of it, never mind how frustrating it felt. If it had gone either way, I think I would've been much more disappointed. Edited by Sandy

[quote name='PiroMunkie' date='04 August 2010 - 11:41 PM' timestamp='1280961675' post='698848'][font="Arial"][color="#A0522D"][i]Disclaimer:[/i] By reading the following spoiler you agree that you are at least 18 years of age, and acknowledge lapses in maturity even among adults. Also that you have read the spoiler in the above quote otherwise this will go over your head:[/color]
[spoiler]lol you said penis[/spoiler][/font]
[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Wonderfully droll Piro. :P[/size][/font]

[quote name='Sandy' date='05 August 2010 - 08:32 PM' timestamp='1281036744' post='698925']As negative points, most of the fighting scenes in the movie felt like filler (how can someone even get wounded in a dream, anyway?), and in my opinion they could've used the "dream powers" more prominently during the big mission (it just couldn't compare to the impact that the scene where [spoiler]Ariadne changed the city for the first time[/spoiler] gave me).[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][spoiler]Your mind makes it real Leo.[/spoiler][/size][/font] Edited by Gavin

[quote name='Gavin' date='06 August 2010 - 06:26 PM' timestamp='1281108381' post='698969']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][spoiler]Your mind makes it real Leo.[/spoiler][/size][/font]
[/quote]

By that logic they could've just "wished it away". :/

i think only the architect has power over the world. everyone else has to deal with it as if it was reality. as for the architects power i think he/she changes the surroundings, but i am not sure if they ever broke physics. the only time super weird stuff happened was when stuff happened to the dreamers body (kicks, car moving, water).
so pain would still occur and cant be stopped until you resolve it in the dream world (since it is a dream i wonder if a placebo cure would work)

[quote name='CaNz' date='07 August 2010 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1281171052' post='699012']as for the architects power i think he/she changes the surroundings, but i am not sure if they ever broke physics.
[/quote]

Uh, Ariadne made the city physically [i]bend[/i], which resulted in people walking and cars driving on "walls".

Also, there was the [spoiler]zero-gravity scene during the big mission (that oddly only affected the second dream world and not the third). Oh yeah, not to mention that one guy pulling a bazooka out of his butt.[/spoiler]

How are those examples "not breaking physics"? ;P Edited by Sandy

they had equipment from the surrondings, those surroundings are made by the architects, or so if (s)he[spoiler]deciides the streets are up, they are up and the world s now a odd two sided existence (gravity still existed, but it came from the walls, since they were really the ground)... or if a bazooka exists in the bottom of a man, it does because the world was altered. however (s)he doesn't alter gravity, alter time, or make people have superpowers. i figure you can make and move anything, but the laws still apply to the world they are made in. and the third anti gravity scene may have been while they were in the cultivator. i dont really recall it... i do know that it says three dreams are ridiculously unstable, and an detail effects it iin large amounts.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Sandy' date='07 August 2010 - 07:50 AM' timestamp='1281163800' post='699007']
By that logic they could've just "wished it away". :/
[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Wasn't the explanation that [spoiler]short of death, nothing inside the dream could actually wake someone up and the rest they just had to deal with ? Because it's someone else's dream they're the ones in control.[/spoiler] At least that's what I understood as occurring. [/size][/font]