OtakuBoards

Marble Hornets

Nerdsy

[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmhfn3mgWUI[/media][/center]

[color=deeppink]
Marble Hornets is a web series about [url="http://www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/page/Slender+Man"]Slender Man[/url], and it scares the ever-loving **** out of me.

In a lot of ways, the its like The Blair Witch Project: it's presented an amateur film project where the subjects become haunted by an unearthly force. The scares stem not from cheap "Boo!" moments, but from the atmosphere, which is deliberate and moody. There are a few "Boo!" moments, but because of the general aura of terror and the masterful underplaying of them, they feel more real and terrifying.

I don't really scare easily when it comes to fiction, but this series seems to hit all the right buttons. I actually think it's better than The Blair Witch Project, at least when terror is concerned; the evil force in Blair Witch is [i]too[/i] intangible, negating the terror that is associated with an unknown entity. Slenderman, however, makes his presence [i]explicitly[/i] known. The mystery is still there, but there is a tangible focus for it. Its the best of both worlds.

Anyway, watch this and the companion piece [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmqDPBu1UaM"]ToTheArk[/url]. There's a viewing order [url="http://marblehornets.wikidot.com/the-entries"]here[/url].[/color] Edited by Nerdsy

[size="3"][font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I remember spending a whole day back in July watching the videos. I haven't checked back for an update since then and I point blank [b]refuse[/b] to check in at 1 in the morning.. something I'll have to do later today when I'm feeling a bit more daring.

Marble Hornets is amazing until about mid-way where it got a little ridiculous. Sure there were still the scares here and there but it became a little more predictable and the camera footage in his room moved into the "not scary" domain. All in all I am still terrified of the scenes with Slender Man so.. yeah. Putting this one off until morning. xD[/font][/size]

I admit last night at 12am when I read the article you linked about the Slender Man (I never had heard of him before), I got spooked and didn't watch those videos. I don't normally get scared from scary movies, but this stuff seems more real. Stuff like that or aliens or just footage of paranormal that comes off realistically is what can actually get to me. I'm only now watching the entries at 10:30am haha.

EDIT: On that note, Entry #26 is the worst so far to me. [spoiler]I didn't expect the Slender Man to be right there and having somebody actually screaming and running felt more real than any of the footage I've watched yet.[/spoiler] Edited by Dragon Warrior

[quote name='Boo' timestamp='1295203080' post='703943']
But... The Slender Man (according to the article) is only after kiddos right? So why would anyone else be afraid of the guy? :(
[/quote]

[color=deeppink]There's more to the original mythos (that article is just the first post), but I didn't really want to sludge through the original SA thread to find all the posts. They're [url="http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150591&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post361911984"]here[/url] and [url="http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150591&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post361996461"]here[/url] (posted by Victor Surge) if you're interested, but Marble Hornets doesn't really stick to this interpretation exactly. At least so far.[/color]

Yeah, how Victor originally created the Slender Man was that he kidnaps children and takes them places and can kind of hypnotize you in a way, which I'm thinking is what Marble Hornets is portraying when [spoiler]people have memory loss for extensive amounts of time. That and the one video ToTheArk posted of J sitting on the floor pale with the Slender Male walking up to the camera.[/spoiler] I think it's more of the Slender Man's aura that makes this creepy. They may not follow the whole children thing, but it's just the fact that you're watching and anticipating he's going to be there. And the second you spot him in a frame you jump inside. If he killed people, he wouldn't be as scary because instead he just keeps tormenting people by following them and you have to anticipate his next appearance and never know when he'll "strike."

[quote name='Dragon Warrior' timestamp='1295211641' post='703950']
Yeah, how Victor originally created the Slender Man was that he kidnaps children and takes them places and can kind of hypnotize you in a way, which I'm thinking is what Marble Hornets is portraying when [spoiler]people have memory loss for extensive amounts of time. That and the one video ToTheArk posted of J sitting on the floor pale with the Slender Male walking up to the camera.[/spoiler] I think it's more of the Slender Man's aura that makes this creepy. They may not follow the whole children thing, but it's just the fact that you're watching and anticipating he's going to be there. And the second you spot him in a frame you jump inside. If he killed people, he wouldn't be as scary because instead he just keeps tormenting people by following them and you have to anticipate his next appearance and never know when he'll "strike."
[/quote]

[color=deeppink]Even in Victor's original posts Slender Man killed adults. Mostly people who have taken his picture or were in the vicinity of his image or found his organ bags. And they have sprinkled in at least one aspect of the children thing: [spoiler]Entry 9.[/spoiler]

And of course, [spoiler]he may have killed people in the series anyway. There seems to be a lot of bloodstains everywhere, and it seems like Seth got his **** ruined.[/spoiler]

The aura they're playing up is definitely what drew me to the series. It plays on one of my deepest fears: the idea of being watched. Nothing freaks me out more than the idea of someone being near me without me knowing about it, and Slender Man has that in spades. I'm still rewatching vids and seeing him in places I didn't the first time. Ugh.

For example, Entry 7. It's one of, if not, the most predictable events in the series. [spoiler]Guy moves his head aside and Slender Man is there. I knew it was coming the entire video, but his entrance was so subtle: absolutely nothing anounced his presence. If it hadn't been a predictable plot element, I wouldn't have noticed him. He was just there. [i]Watching.[/i] That fact that he didn't do anything made it so much worse for some reason. [/spoiler]

For me, though, the crowning moment of terror comes in Entry 18. [spoiler]******* Masky. Oh god **** him. J is just wandering around the house, breathing heavily (and already causing me to freak out because I can tell that he's freaking out) and bam. There's some guy that I had never seen before. Sitting there. Watching. And then, suddenly, he charges. At 2 in the morning. : (

That was a perfect video. It's night, the house is narrow, claustrophobic, it's obvious somebody lives there but his presence is never felt, the sounds J makes, the quickness with which Masky charges so that you can't quite tell what he's doing, it all comes together to make sure I can't sleep at night.[/spoiler][/color]

• 11 months later...
I am currently re-watching these. To me, number 19 is pretty frickin' scary. [spoiler]I really detest the idea of some creeper being in my home, especially my bedroom, and the fact that the masked dude randomly shows up in Jay's room really made my skin crawl. I also hate the sound distortion in the series.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Nerdsy' timestamp='1295317277' post='703979']
[color=deeppink]Even in Victor's original posts Slender Man killed adults. Mostly people who have taken his picture or were in the vicinity of his image or found his organ bags. And they have sprinkled in at least one aspect of the children thing: [spoiler]Entry 9.[/spoiler]

And of course, [spoiler]he may have killed people in the series anyway. There seems to be a lot of bloodstains everywhere, and it seems like Seth got his **** ruined.[/spoiler]

The aura they're playing up is definitely what drew me to the series. It plays on one of my deepest fears: the idea of being watched. Nothing freaks me out more than the idea of someone being near me without me knowing about it, and Slender Man has that in spades. I'm still rewatching vids and seeing him in places I didn't the first time. Ugh.

For example, Entry 7. It's one of, if not, the most predictable events in the series. [spoiler]Guy moves his head aside and Slender Man is there. I knew it was coming the entire video, but his entrance was so subtle: absolutely nothing anounced his presence. If it hadn't been a predictable plot element, I wouldn't have noticed him. He was just there. [i]Watching.[/i] That fact that he didn't do anything made it so much worse for some reason. [/spoiler]

For me, though, the crowning moment of terror comes in Entry 18. [spoiler]******* Masky. Oh god **** him. J is just wandering around the house, breathing heavily (and already causing me to freak out because I can tell that he's freaking out) and bam. There's some guy that I had never seen before. Sitting there. Watching. And then, suddenly, he charges. At 2 in the morning. : (

That was a perfect video. It's night, the house is narrow, claustrophobic, it's obvious somebody lives there but his presence is never felt, the sounds J makes, the quickness with which Masky charges so that you can't quite tell what he's doing, it all comes together to make sure I can't sleep at night.[/spoiler][/color]
[/quote]

Wait ontil Entry 45 and the ones after that!