OtakuBoards

Your Favorite Downloadable Content

CaNz

I just went on the Live Marketplace and found a really cool add-on for one of my favorite games, and I didn't even know it existed. I figure a good thread like this could let people know if the DLC for their favorite games are worth it, or to let people know that something good is out there.

I don't have a PS3, but I hear Playstation network has DLC for games as well, so this topic can cover that too, however this is[b] only for add on content[/b], so no indie games or full game downloads.

Anyways, the DLC that made me want to start this topic is [b]Mass Effect: Bring Down The Sky[/b], which goes for[b] 80 MP[/b]. The cheap price-tag is the main reason why I got this, but the mission is as long and elaborate as any storyline mission in the game, (and there is really only six main storyline missions so it is a pretty good) and they introduce an alien species that later appear in the sequel and effect the game. As far as gameplay goes, it is more of the same, but they throw a few twists like navigating through a minefield and some painful new turrets, (no more picking them off from afar) the story however is still almost nonexistent, but saving a planet should boost your hero rep enough. You also get top-of-the-line equipment at the end. Getting one of those Savant omni-tools is good, but leveling up might be better, since I am certain you will get at least two level gains during this mission, as well as more than 30 paragon or renegade points.

My favorite DLC of all time, [b]Borederlands: Secret Armory of General Knoxx[/b]. This [b]800 MP[/b] DLC is was the best 10 bucks I have ever spent. So other than just extending the level cap by 11 which will just give you a few hours of play time just strait leveling, this DLC is massive! There are probably around 50 missions, some are optional, but all of them are playable. two optional bosses, including an ultimate boss which takes four max level people to fight (unless you use glitches) which gives the game the pure Co-op feel I thing gearbox wanted. This series had a pretty lame ending, and this game add-on actually gave gamers the ending that the fans really wanted. a cool boss battle with an awesome and hilarious villain, and more treasure than you could ever hope to hold (unless you use a glitch) This add on will keep you coming back for playthrough after playthrough and I would have to sum up the play time between 20-50 hours for the normal purchaser.

Another honorable mention is [b]Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion: Knights of the Nine[/b]. Priced at [b]800 MP[/b] this Add-on takes you deeper into the religious lore of Oblivion, at the same time adding fairly interesting quests. The benefits of this Add-on are very slight. other than a few new items here and there, you wind up with a pretty set of dragon armor like the kind the king wore right at the end of the original game... unfortunately it is really lousy armor. The story is actually kind of interesting though, and I like how it still incorporated the world, unlike most DLC which tend to ship you off to some new land that just sprang out of nowhere (like the next installment does) The time you spend in this DLC can very, but I would say it is between 4-6 hours for the average person.

I am sure I will think of more good ones later...

[b]I just wish more games supported downloadable content or that if they did support it, that they would keep up to date with it.

I'm playing God Eater Burst right now and it looks like there will never be official DLC released outside of Japan and Singapore.

I did get DLC though for Disgaea 2, which is good but now I have some overpowered characters on my team. I'm not complaining though, since they do get me through some tough times in the Item Worlds.

There's an Add On Section for Echochrome, one of my favorite games of all time, but it's always empty. I check everytime to see if there's something there and there never is. T_T[/b]