OtakuBoards

4Kids Entertainment Files for Bankruptcy

Gavin

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][url=http://finance.yahoo.com/news/4Kids-Entertainment-Files-for-bw-277838303.html?x=0][b]Source[/b][/url]

[center][img]http://community2.metalreview.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/8/5353.awww-yeah.jpg[/img][/center][/size][/font]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Actually, I think people need to get off their self-righteous high horses about this and really think about it. Yes, 4kids did some really stupid crap, but you know what? They were by and large responsible for a [i]huge[/i] number of anime fans today, and for us to lose that is honestly really quite sad. And from what I understand, they were starting to get back on their feet, especially given how their streaming site, Toonzai, has several [uncut] anime to rival Crunchyroll.

Not to mention there's several people who had nothing to do with the "mangling" of their series that are losing their jobs; the voice actors and composers, One Piece rap aside, were genuinely good and I hope they can find some work.

And not to rain on everybody's parade, but they're filing for Chapter 11, which means they can still restructure and reform. Chapter 7 is when they go down for good. Sorry, dudes.[/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

I agree with feeling sorry for the indirect losses, such as voice actors... but whatever contributions to anime they have achieved is overshadowed in my opinion by making a mockery of the fantastic stories that made them money in the first place. I am probably wrong about this... but if you want a kids show, why don't you get a kids show? Taking the rights to popular anime and scrubbing them clean just seems like a waste.

Whats done has already been done, and it isn't like I can't go back and watch the original Japanese titles, but I don't think that company has done anything for me, and they don't deserve any pity.

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]'cept they [i]did[/i] get kid's shows. Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Shaman King, Tokyo Mew Mew and the like were all meant for the younger market. That said, it should be noted that in the instance of Shaman King, despite it still being edited, it [i]still[/i] went under fire for being too violent and scary.

I'm not defending the edits they did, [but keep in mind that all edits done on 4kids's shows were approved by the original companies/directors/whoever determines that. And that includes the infamous One Piece] whether they were for the better or worse [although their Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh dubs were still rather praised, as I vividly remember the sheer [i]rage[/i] that ensued when PUSA took the reins of the NA distribution of the Pokemon anime], but the fact of the matter is is that it's another NA anime company with financial issues. "Deserved" or not, that's still not a very good sign for the industry in the US at all.[/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

All I know is this company bought up rights to good shows, and made them unwatchable for me. I doubt I am the only one who sees it this way. There are exceptions, as I did watch the first season of Pokemon (though I certainly didn't care if I missed an episode here and there) but for almost all of the famous titles they acquired I can't sit through them.

I am glad the companies who sold there rights to 4kids made some money, but I disagree with how 4kids handled a very profitable industry, and I am sure right about now they are probably thinking that they made a few mistakes as well.

• 1 month later...
Well I must say I still plan on watching sonic x and Yu-Gi-Oh DM reruns o-o They messed up GX though and didn't really finish it then hopped on the 5Ds wagon but I guess if they weren't making enough money then thats probably why but its still not good to start something then not finish it :o I could say ding dong the witch is dead but now I look back and realize that if it wasn't for 4kids dubs I woulda never got back into anime o-o

Sangome makes a really great point on this one. 4Kids played an undeniably vital role in giving anime a sustainable audience and paving the way for other series. :eyebrow: Now if we could only figure out and agree on what the perfect localization looks like....

well we all know 4kids for not exactly having the best dubbing and the such. As for localization they practically re-create. This is especially obvious if you compare the japanese versions of Yu-Gi-Oh and One Piece to the 4kids versions of them. But I guess when your that age you really don't think about that so in a way even though they're making it suck to you at age 15 or something it probably served its perpose at age 10 for you specially some' a those that grew up during the pokemon explosion.