OtakuBoards

Playstation 4

Magus

[quote]The successor to the PlayStation 3 is currently in development, Sony confirmed during the company's investor meeting today.

Executive vice president and chief financial officer Masaru Kato was asked to explain the rising research and development costs for the company's fiscal year. "In the game segment, we have the NGP to launch later this year. So we have development expenses to be incurred for this product," he explained.

"For the home console, the PS3 still has a product life, but this is a platform business, so for the future platform - when we will introduce the product I cannot discuss - but development work is underway, so the costs are incurred there." [/quote]

Courtesy of IGN.

Do we really need a new console from sony right now?

Well, they're only researching right now. They've no intention of releasing it until at least 2015. When Sony released the PS3, they said it would have a run for about 10 years.

Although I'm surprised that they're willing to incur extra development and research costs given the state of their last quarter O_o
I am intrigued by what they could be planning to stuff into the PS4 though [img]http://www.otakuboards.com/public/style_emoticons/default/sly.gif[/img]

[quote name='Magus' timestamp='1306571021' post='707625']
Courtesy of IGN.

Do we really need a new console from sony right now?
[/quote]

I think I clicked the wrong button.
Anyway, it is soon to release a new system when:
1. NGP(I dont think that will be the final name for the portable) hasnt even been release.
2. They need to invest on how to fixed the PlayStation network before making anything else.

Its true that it will take time, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I agree with the replies here. Sony have likely been working on PS4 for some time now. But their business model is definitely longterm - PS3 is only just starting to become a viable platform. They will not release a new platform for several years yet, I'd say.[/font]