OtakuBoards

Live Action anime adaptation

jayburnt

I have seen both a live action adaptation of Initial D and Higurashi (i can never remember the full title). Now mind you that both (actually 3 movies, 2 higurashi movies) were made by the Japanese. Now for a live action "ADAPTATION" i found them to be actually good and had the same feel you get when watching the actual animes. The reason I'm writing this is because of that abomination called Dragonball Evolution (i can proudly say that i've never watched it nor do I intend to). we all know its american made. The point i'm trying to make is how can you royally **** something up with over 300 episodes of storyline that can be used. Hell Initial D is about downhill street racing and the live action actually felt like i was watching something from Initial D. And (don't quote me on this) i'm more than positive a much bigger budget was used on Dragonball Evolution. Ok enough ranting. Think I got my point across. Hollywood should just keep their grubby little claws off of our beloved anime and let the originators work their magic. No monster budget or famous actors... just a good realistic live action adaptation.

[color=#9900ff][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Actually, there is a good example of an American movie adaptation of an anime -- go check out the Speed Racer movie. It was panned at the time of release, but now has a cult following because it's seriously like watching an anime come to life.[/font][/color]

It's all about capturing the spirit of things. Look at the first two live action Death Note films, both are abridged adaptions of the series and change some events and details to speed up the pacing. I still think it worked well because it still felt like Death Note and the CGI for Ryuuk was pretty cool.

Then compare it to the proposed Akira adaption. It is pretty much a wide strokes adaption at best and outright desecration of canon at worst, all for the benefit of americanising it. It's already drawn so much ire from the vast majority of anime fans (and film critics) that I think the budget problems might just be another way of saying that it's being canned because they have already lost the existing fanbase and a widespread negative reaction would ensure that it would never make up its budget.

• 1 month later...
The Chinese live action adaptation of dragon all certainly isn't the best either but it sure does make you laugh. I love to watch it because it is so cheesy and funny. Has anyone seen the live action gantz movies yet?