OtakuBoards

A little help for my essay

mornigndew

[color=blue][size=1]I know there're many threads about love already.
I have an assignment in Philosophy class. I have to write a paper "What is Love" and I need some info.
Here's what the professor said "Love is an act of a will, not feeling." I know you have a good answer for the qustion "What is love?" Thanks for answering, I need all the opinions and idea I get to write this essay. [/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by mornigndew [/i]
[B][color=blue][size=1]I know there're many threads about love already.
I have an assignment in Philosophy class. I have to write a paper "What is Love" and I need some info.
Here's what the professor said "Love is an act of a will, not feeling." I know you have a good answer for the qustion "What is love?" Thanks for answering, I need all the opinions and idea I get to write this essay. [/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Well perhaps, I dunno if you can do this, it's just a suggestion.... that instead of focusing on what one may think what love is.. focus more on the aspect of people don't know what love is... or that... like, you can't know what love is because it is unexplainable... it's too powerful to have one or two or three meanings.... Thats what I would do... it would be unique but still stays on topic... unless ofcourse it's an opinion essay where the professor wants your opinion on love and not what you want to write about it.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Crimson]Hmm....well I say that first have to ask yourself if you've ever been in love before, if it works then ideas should come pouring from your head.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=indigo] Well it is a philosophy paper so I guess you can approach it from several different angles. Here are a few suggestions.

1. Disscuss how love arose from the guilt that arose from sexual abuse towards women. In early times men needed to rationalize why they had the right to force themselves onto women. They felt that by explaining it through natural sexual impulses, they would be comparing themselves too closely to animals. This eventually became a way of thought, and later developed into an emotion.

2. You could debate that same fact except in reverse, saying that women created love as a way to rationalize their sexual urges and to rationalize them succumbing to mens sexual urges.

3. Another angle would be to disscuss love as one of the few instinctual emotions, and sight the several species of animals that remain with their mates for life. An example is the swan.

I think the cool thing about this paper is that as long as you can provide a valid argument you are guarenteed a good grade, no matter how wacky it sounds.[/color]

:eek: well i think he just summed everything up! :blush:

Just so I don't feel useless....I believe love is an emotion you learn through interaction with people/other creatures.....to try and explain this.....a child does not love it's parents the minute it is born....it learns to love them by realising what they sacrifice for it and how they offer it protection, security and effection. As it grows older it passes this emotion on to other people it interacts with.....

[QUOTE]"Love is an act of a will, not feeling." [/QUOTE]

Love may be an act of will, but as human beings we do not have free will. Any self-respecting psychologist would tell you that.

-just something I remember from psych class. ;)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Manick [/i]
[B]

Love may be an act of will, but as human beings we do not have free will. Any self-respecting psychologist would tell you that.

-just something I remember from psych class. ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo] I generally respect Psychologists but I disagree strongly with the no free will thing. That is for peoe who cannot except responsibilities.[/color]

Yea, I don't agree with the free will thing either, but try arguing your point to my psych teacher. Trust me, you won't win. He thinks that he knows more about psychology than anyone even to go so far as to write his own tests, might i add that, are incredibly difficult. c'mon, this is high school, and the average scores on his tests are 40-50%!! I think there were only 3 A's on our last test, 2 B's, couple C's, lots and lots of Ds and Fs. It doesn't matter if you read the chapter even.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
[B][color=indigo] Well it is a philosophy paper so I guess you can approach it from several different angles. Here are a few suggestions.

1. Disscuss how love arose from the guilt that arose from sexual abuse towards women. In early times men needed to rationalize why they had the right to force themselves onto women. They felt that by explaining it through natural sexual impulses, they would be comparing themselves too closely to animals. This eventually became a way of thought, and later developed into an emotion.

2. You could debate that same fact except in reverse, saying that women created love as a way to rationalize their sexual urges and to rationalize them succumbing to mens sexual urges.

3. Another angle would be to disscuss love as one of the few instinctual emotions, and sight the several species of animals that remain with their mates for life. An example is the swan.

I think the cool thing about this paper is that as long as you can provide a valid argument you are guarenteed a good grade, no matter how wacky it sounds.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=blue][size=1] I like #3[/color][/size]