OtakuBoards

HELP!! When is gamecube coming to Australia ?

woopya

[color=royalblue]Nintendo will be launching the GameCube in Australia on May 17, 2001 for a price of AUD $399. Games will retail for approximately AUD $99.

Here is the company's press release:[/color]

[b]Nintendo Australia announces release date for GameCube[/b]

AUSTRALIA, MELBOURNE, 29 January, 2002 ? Nintendo Australia announces May 17 as the much anticipated launch date of Nintendo GameCube.

GameCube, a dedicated video game play system, is the gaming giant?s latest innovation.

Nintendo GameCube is available in two colors: Jet (black) and Indigo (violet) for a suggested retail price of $399.

GameCube will launch with about 20 software titles including Nintendo?s Luigi?s Mansion and Wave Race. About 50 titles will be available by mid-year. Nintendo GameCube software will retail for a suggested retail price of $99.

Nintendo Australia plans sales of 50,000 hardware units in the launch month.

Aside from its innovation and high quality graphics, another of GameCube?s selling points is its interconnectivity with Nintendo?s Game Boy Advance.

In the United States, Nintendo GameCube represented the top video game launch of 2001 with initial hardware unit sales running more than twice that of Microsoft Xbox and even Nintendo?s own wildly successful Game Boy Advance. Many stores reported selling out of the hardware system in a matter of hours. [color=royalblue]

As you can see, Australia will not suffer from "software shortages" like the United States. The later release will ensure that a constant stream of software will be available to the Australian marketplace during 2002.

Other interesting news regarding the Australian market:

1) The PAL version of Luigi's Mansion will have extra features, in order to extend the game's physical play-time.

2) Nintendo Australia has just launched the Jet Black Game Boy Advance, which is exclusive to the Australian market. Pick yourself up one if you don't have a GBA yet ;)

Hope that info helps.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Squashed Snail [/i]
[B]May 17?! :eek: That's heaps closer than what I thought! :excited: Man, I better start saving, so I can get one.... [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]I thought you had said that you already have one???[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by jcgoudy [/i]
[B]
[color=indigo]I thought you had said that you already have one???[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]lol

I [i]do[/i] have one. Though this is [i]only[/i] mine. My brothers keep bugging me to play it, and my parents say the only way to get them off my back is to put half the cost into another one for them. I don't really want to, and they said no to importing another one. So that's really the only option for me to go with.... Oh yeah, and I don't want them playing with one I payed for fully. :p

And no, I will NEVER let my brothers play MY Gamecube.... if I did, it'd be a pile of scrap after they'd finished with it....

[B]lol

I [i]do[/i] have one. Though this is [i]only[/i] mine. My brothers keep bugging me to play it, and my parents say the only way to get them off my back is to put half the cost into another one for them. I don't really want to, and they said no to importing another one. So that's really the only option for me to go with.... Oh yeah, and I don't want them playing with one I payed for fully. :p

And no, I will NEVER let my brothers play MY Gamecube.... if I did, it'd be a pile of scrap after they'd finished with it.... [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]I can understand where you're coming from... My brother and his friend play my GCN and other systems, and I'm surprised that my N64 still works... Probably the only reason it does, is because I take care of it really well. My brothers friend has probably dropped the controllers 50 times, on the systems that I have... (I'm serious, he usually drops one at least once, every time he comes over and plays). And then they complain about the controllers not working right, when they lose... But of course, when I lose, they say it's because I just suck... :mad:
A good example of this is when my brothers friend was claiming that he was way better than me at Super Smash Bros. for the N64. So, we had a tournament, where each of us would pick the same character, and go through all of them (without items). We did this three times, over about six months, and I won every time. The last time, I won every match, and he still claimed that he was better... And of course, they complain when something doesn't go their way... But when I complain about the same things when they don't go my way, they tell me to "stop whining"... I point out to them that they do the same thing, and they deny it, saying that what they were doing was completely different.

Okay, I'm just ranting now...
[i]Anyway,[/i] if you imported your GCN, won't you only be able to play imported games?[/color]

[B]
[color=indigo]
[i]Anyway,[/i] if you imported your GCN, won't you only be able to play imported games?[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
Well that's what confuses me. At the moment I don't own any games myself, I just lend my friend's games. :D They play on there, soooo.....

[B][color=indigo]If the GCN isn't out in Australia, how are you borrowing games for it?[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
Heh, this is starting to sound like a court case, lol.

My friend has a "pen friend" from somewhere-or-other.... his "pen-friend" sent him a Gamecube, and a few games to go with it when his parents got married (don't ask me why :huh: ). They included SMB:M, and a few more great games that we see as really kewl over here.... So, I just borrow them from him. :D

Nothing seems to happen though when I play them on my Gamecube, they run as smoothly as any normal Gamecube + game... :)

[color=indigo]I find you guilty of... something... I sentence you to one year without video games! :laugh:

If your friend got sent a GCN from the same country as you imported your GCN from, then they [i]would[/i] work fine...[/color]

[B][color=indigo]I find you guilty of... something... I sentence you to one year without video games! :laugh:

If your friend got sent a GCN from the same country as you imported your GCN from, then they [i]would[/i] work fine...[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
:laugh:

Heh, he got it from America... so that confuses me why mine plays American games....

[B]I got mine from Japan. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]:twitch: .......... Japanese GCNs can play American games... But American GCNs can't play Japanese games... That's what it sounds like, anyway..... :twitch: ..........
*bangs head on desk* WWWWHHHHHYYYYYYY!!??!?!?!!!! *mutters about how the Japanese get all of the cool video game stuff*

Well, I'm guessing that if your Japanese GCN can play American games, it'll also play Australian games... I'm just wondering why they made it so that the Japanese GCN can play American games, but not the other way around...
*remembers back in the days of the SNES, where all you needed to play Japanese games was a pair a pliers* Ah, the good old days of cartridges...[/color]

[B]
[color=indigo]:twitch: .......... Japanese GCNs can play American games... But American GCNs can't play Japanese games... That's what it sounds like, anyway..... :twitch: ..........
*bangs head on desk* WWWWHHHHHYYYYYYY!!??!?!?!!!! *mutters about how the Japanese get all of the cool video game stuff*

Well, I'm guessing that if your Japanese GCN can play American games, it'll also play Australian games... I'm just wondering why they made it so that the Japanese GCN can play American games, but not the other way around...
*remembers back in the days of the SNES, where all you needed to play Japanese games was a pair a pliers* Ah, the good old days of cartridges...[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
lol, I'll just go and check-up whether my friend owns [i]Japanese[/i] games or not.... I might've been confused by him, which isn't very hard for me to do... :D

[SIZE=1][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]ummmmmmm ok like japanesse systems dont play american games... and you would know if you had japanesse games they would be in japanesse DUH.

i smell something fishy here...[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[B]

*remembers back in the days of the SNES, where all you needed to play Japanese games was a pair a pliers* Ah, the good old days of cartridges...[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Japanese GameCube units can't play American games -- where did you get that from? lol

GameCube (like PS2) uses regional lock-out features.

Furthermore, Japanese GameCubes won't be able to play Australian games because Australia uses the PAL format, same as Europe and most of the rest of the world.

However, European and Australian GameCube consoles are interchangeable in terms of software.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kuja [/i]
[B][SIZE=1][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]ummmmmmm ok like japanesse systems dont play american games... and you would know if you had japanesse games they would be in japanesse DUH.

i smell something fishy here...[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]
I didn't say I had Japanese games, I said I had a Japanese Gamecube. ;) And my friend has American games...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kuja [/i]
[B][SIZE=1][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]as i said JAPANESSE systems do not play AMERICAN games. Without an ILLEGAL mod chip... so yes...

*still smells fish*[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]
Well that's where I come into confusion.... my JAPANESE console plays American games [i]without[/i] any illegal mod-chip, or anything.... as far as I know.. :rolleyes:

[B]
Well that's where I come into confusion.... my JAPANESE console plays American games [i]without[/i] any illegal mod-chip, or anything.... as far as I know.. :rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Uhh, nope.

Your Japanese console will [i]not[/i] play American games without a mod chip. :)[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]

[color=royalblue]Uhh, nope.

Your Japanese console will [i]not[/i] play American games without a mod chip. :)[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
Well that clears a bit up. Would it be possible for my Gamecube to have had a mod-chip installed in it without me knowing?