OtakuBoards

Awesome Writing

BabyGirl

[color=deeppink]If you are interested in some very mind-stimulating writing, then please read the following:[/color]

[color=purple][quote]One many, one family driven from the land; this rusty car creaking along the highway to the west. I lost my land, a single tractor took my land. I am lone and I am bewildered. And in the night one family camps in a ditch and another family pulls in and the tents come out. The two men squat on their hams and the women and children listen. Here is the node, you who hate change and fear revolution. Keep these two squatting men apart; make them hate, fear, suspect each other. Here is the anlage of the thing you fear. This is the zygote. For here "I lost my land" is changed; a cell is split and from its splitting grows the thing you hate?"We lost [i]our[/i] land." The danger is here, for two men are not as lonely and perplexed as one. And from this first "we" there grows a still more dangerous thing: "I have a little food" plus "I have none." If from this problem the sum is "We have a little food," the thing is on its way, the movement has direction. Only a little multiplication now, and this land, this tractor are ours. The two men squatting in a ditch, the little fire, the sidemeat stewing in a single pot, the silent, stone-eyed women; behind, the children listening with their souls to words their minds do not understand. The night draws down. The baby has a cold. Here, take this blanket. It's wool. It was my mother's blanket?take it for the baby. This is the thing to bomb. This is the beginning from "I" to "we." If you who own the things people must have could understand this, you might preserve yourself. If you could separate causes from reults, if you could know that Paine, Marx, Jefferson, Lenin, were results, not causes, you might survive.[/quote][/color]

[color=deeppink]::sigh:: I think that is simply beautiful. This is from John Steinbeck's [b]The Grapes of Wrath[/b]. This man was completely writing from his heart, and I have never actually felt the passion flowing off of a page as I have from this book. It's simply amazing. The entire 600+ page book is like this...the passionate writing that makes SO much sense.

You may not exactly understand WHY I find this so eloquent, so I suggest you all read the book. It's amazing :)[/color]

I remember that one...those intercalary chapters are really thought provoking, though they did seem boring at first since it had nothing much to do with the flow of the plot line, just comments on the dustbowl and how life was. My favorite one was about the turtle wayyyy in the beginning of the book where it tries to cross the street and almost gets run over...the way he wrote it put a lot of meaning into it.

[size=1]Babygirl is turning into a Steinbeck groupie...

Anyway, I have read "The Grapes of Wrath," it was okay, but it is not one of my favorites or anything. I am not a very big fan of John Steinbeck, and I hate "Mice and Men." Don't even get me started about Lenny.. oy.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RicoTranzrig [/i]
[B]LoL...if I could get the script online, there is a very funny parody if the two stories were to be merged into one with Lenny and George as the main characters. If you ever heard of it...it's called "Of Grapes and Nuts" by The Illegitimate Players. [/B][/QUOTE][COLOR=royalblue]:rotflmao: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! That was the absolute limit! It was so funny, I died when I saw it![/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RicoTranzrig [/i]
[B]I remember that one...those intercalary chapters are really thought provoking, though they did seem boring at first since it had nothing much to do with the flow of the plot line, just comments on the dustbowl and how life was. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]See now I LOVED the intercalorie chapters! I don't know why I loved this book so much, but like I said before, I just felt a huge passion behind the writing...much unlike something like [b]The Scarlet Letter[/b] where it was like slow, painful death while reading it...:sleep: [/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shyguy [/i]
[B][size=1]Babygirl is turning into a Steinbeck groupie...

Anyway, I have read "The Grapes of Wrath," it was okay, but it is not one of my favorites or anything. I am not a very big fan of John Steinbeck.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Hah, not a Steinbeck groupie so much as a Grapes of Wrath groupie...I HATED [b]THE PEARL[/b] by Mr. Steinbeck. It was last year that I read that HORRIBLE book and I vowed to never read his work again. But ah, wait! What is this thick book? The Grapes of Wrath you say? Excellent...most excellent.

Ahem, anyway...:toothy:[/color]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Shift
Note to self: Got to library...from what u's guy's say that is a good book so i think i'll check it out...