OtakuBoards

Virtua Fighter on GameCube?

Charles

Tetsu Kayama, Sega's COO recently stated that it would be quite possible to see the Virtua Fighter series come to the GameCube in one form or another. However, what he said really makes one think about how far this whole "GameCube is for kids" nonsense goes. Kayama was quoted as saying:

[Quote][B]I think it is nonsense to directly port Virtua Fighter to the GameCube. For example, we can make it Virtua Fighter Kids to curtail to the lower age demographic. The game system and fun factor should not be changed so that these players can then move on to the next step with the actual Virtua Fighter.[/B][/Quote]

This statement really gives GameCube owners something to talk about. On one hand, one of the deepest three dimensional fighters on the planet could eventually make it to a system that is currently starving for fighters. On the other hand, he's claiming that it'll be aimed towards children. One would think that Virtua Fighter on GameCube would be a blessing, but it seems like it's direction will push the system further towards a reputation it's trying to escape. What are your thoughts on the situation?

And oh man, I missed the "t" in fighter on the topic! Does the pain ever end?!

[color=indigo]There, I added the "t" in the subject, so it'll show up on the list of threads. :)

Well, I think it'd be great to get Virtua Fighter on the GCN... But not a watered down version... In reality, the GCN is not anymore for little kids than it is for adults. Like it's been said before, look at Resident Evil, Rogue Sqaudron II: Rogue Leader, Eternal Darkness... I sure don't consider those kids games, and I [i]really[/i] doubt that Virtue Fighter is any more "adult" than those.
And if they do make a watered down version for the GCN, I bet it wouldn't sell nearly as well as a real version.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sephiroth [/i]
[B]hmm, making it VF kids really makes you wonder if other companies will think about doing a similar thing with their games.... [/B][/QUOTE]

That's exactly my concern. It's one thing when a twelve year old fanboy thinks that way, but when the people in power start doing it, something's got to give. Oh yeah, and thanks for adding the "t" Jcgoudy, hehe.

[color=royalblue]Well, the original Virtua Fighter Kids was released on the Sega Saturn. And at that time, it was regarded as a somewhat unique fighting game.

As far as I'm concerned, the GameCube will already be getting Soul Calibur 2 (which is said to originally be running on the Triforce technology)...so I don't really feel that Nintendo has anything to prove when it comes to engineering "mature" games.

I think it would be a shame to see VFK and not Virtua Fighter 4 or whatever, but at the same time, if VFK were exclusive to GameCube, I think it could potentially be one of those quirky titles which actually hides quite a lot of depth. And of course, it could potentially look fantastic as well.[/color]

Guest Solid Snake
[COLOR=teal]Although it would be great news for the Virtua Fighter games to come the the GCN, it would be of little achievement if they are to change it too much, especailly editing it because of their assumptions that GCN is geared toward a lower age group. I will not be getting in to this age group topic because I feel that we have discussed enough about that already, but I do want SEGA to know that, if left unedited, it wouldn't be nearly as bad as other GCN games that are either out, or are due to be released.

I am going to try to think from their standpoint at the moment. I think that they may be trying to keep each series in check by putting them on different systems. On one hand, Playstation 2 will be getting the continuem of the Virtua Fighter series. On the other, GameCube will be recieving an off-hand series, called Virtua Fighter Kids, which had previously been released on SEGA Saturn. They probably believe that they will accomplish an even greater goal by coming out with two different series on two different gaming systems, hoping that each system user will want to buy the series exclusive to their system, and those with both systems will want to buy both series, which adds profit. From thinking in their shoes, this dalema seems very similar to that of the Final Fantasy games on GameCube, which will most likely be released in a whole different line-up than Playstation 2.

But then again, GameCube is short on fighting games at the moment. Though it is releasing Soul Calibur 2, I, for one, would like to see their few fighting games kicked off strong, and not edited to a childish atmosphere. If they are to send their company name to a system, they should atleast try to make that system look good.[/COLOR]

:blah:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solid Snake [/i]
[B][COLOR=teal]

But then again, GameCube is short on fighting games at the moment. Though it is releasing Soul Calibur 2, I, for one, would like to see their few fighting games kicked off strong, and not edited to a childish atmosphere. If they are to send their company name to a system, they should atleast try to make that system look good.[/COLOR]

:blah: [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Well, Virtua Fighter Kids is much more of a "Smash Bros." type of game. Meaning, it's not watered down for kids as such...it's just more of a non-serious fighting game.

So I think if you look at the game from that aspect, you won't be dissappointed.

GameCube will have Soul Calibur 2 engineered primarily for its own hardware...but moreover, Bloody Roar 3 (I think it's 3, anyway) will be exclusive to Nintendo Gamecube.

I think that the PlayStation 2 will end up being the console of choice for fighting game fanatics...but I believe that GameCube will come in second in terms of the kind of fighters it receives in general.[/color]

Hey, I have some really good news regarding this topic--Virtua Fighter is actually coming to GameCube as confirmed by Yu Suzuki himself.

[Quote][B]Specifically, Yu Suzuki referred to this game as "Virtua Fighter 10th Anniversary Special Project." He described its genre as action-adventure in which story is important, and also threw in the term RPG a couple of times. Note that Suzuki made sure to specify that this is not a Virtua Fighter Kids type of game.[/B][/Quote]

You know, even though Virtua Fighter Kids might have played intelligently, I'm glad that it's not coming to GameCube. It's all about image. I swear I could have pictured umpteen ten year olds complaining that GameCube is a kid's system. This action/rpg is set to appear in 2003 for the series 10th anniversary. Sega really seems to be pulling out all the stops for GameCube as of late...