OtakuBoards

The Oscars

James

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]

[color=royalblue]Hm, since when did Australia steal the Kiwi? lol

And really, who would [i]want[/i] to steal the Kiwi? hehe...just kidding. ;)

Actually, from what I've read (and seen on television), LotR featured a lot of Australians -- specifically in terms of special effects and financing.

Of course, all the extras were from New Zealand and the movie's director was indeed a New Zealander -- he did a very good job too. :)

I personally consider Lord of the Rings to be a New Zealand movie -- just as I consider The Matrix to be an Australian movie (considering both used American actors...which I kind of disapprove of somewhat).

But I think that the combination of NZ's fantastic scenery and direction...combined with Australia's advanced special effects production and photography, really helped to make the movie very special.

[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was a joint effort, i admit it. It's just well, the aussies are allways geting TONS of praise and stuff, and well, yeah now that New Zealand has some, no-one wants to share, hehehhehe.

Now... about the Kiwi thing, i won't get into the whole story, mabye if you really beg me i will, but...

The Kiwi is supposed to be New Zealand native bird, right? Well a couple of years back, some scientist from Australia, who were in New Zealand, said that they had found evidence of fossils, that prove when New Zealand and Australia were joined (Gondwana land) that the Kiwi originated in the northern part of Gondwana land, the part that was Australia, so yeah... they claimed it to have started in the part of Gondwana land that was Australia, therefore not being NZs native bird, but Australia's native bird that eventually 'moved' to NZ.

So it was in the news and everything, then eventually the evidence was reviewed and the other scientists found that the Australian scientist had got there Latitude & Lontitude of the fossiles they were relating the fossils they found to, wrong. Somehow, i don't know how they did it, but it proved that it actually originated in the south, New Zealand...

...So yeah, that's about it... :p

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
I saw some of the oscars mainly the last hour or so of it, and personally, I was disappointed that LOTR didn't win for best picture, it was a good movie that should have been recognized for other things then best makeup and other weird awards! I agree with Halle Berry(this is the correct sp) won for best actress and unlike other actresses in the past you could tell that she was really filled with joy by winning the award unlike others in the past who rehearsed their speech assuming they would win.

However I was really upset over the best animation award, once again the academy over looked some really great animes of this year and didn't even nominate one! Where's the justice in this world!:demon:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by NeoCactuar [/i]
[B]

Yeah, it was a joint effort, i admit it. It's just well, the aussies are allways geting TONS of praise and stuff, and well, yeah now that New Zealand has some, no-one wants to share, hehehhehe.

Now... about the Kiwi thing, i won't get into the whole story, mabye if you really beg me i will, but...

The Kiwi is supposed to be New Zealand native bird, right? Well a couple of years back, some scientist from Australia, who were in New Zealand, said that they had found evidence of fossils, that prove when New Zealand and Australia were joined (Gondwana land) that the Kiwi originated in the northern part of Gondwana land, the part that was Australia, so yeah... they claimed it to have started in the part of Gondwana land that was Australia, therefore not being NZs native bird, but Australia's native bird that eventually 'moved' to NZ.

So it was in the news and everything, then eventually the evidence was reviewed and the other scientists found that the Australian scientist had got there Latitude & Lontitude of the fossiles they were relating the fossils they found to, wrong. Somehow, i don't know how they did it, but it proved that it actually originated in the south, New Zealand...

...So yeah, that's about it... :p [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Hm, that's interesting. I never heard that before. :)

LotR was certainly a joint effort, but I do believe that it proved once and for all that New Zealand is really capable of some amazing things when under the right conditions.

I mean, when you think about it...with something like the Oscars, there are rarely any non-American films. Yet lately, we are seeing American/Australian/NZ movies and not much from Europe or Asia.

It's kind of strange...but I think it's a good thing. I'm glad that more investment is moving down here, because I think that movies made here tend to be more unique and less "Hollywood"...so that they provide a fresh view or something.

Anyway, I'm rambling...bah.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]

[color=royalblue]Hm, that's interesting. I never heard that before. :)

I mean, when you think about it...with something like the Oscars, there are rarely any non-American films. Yet lately, we are seeing American/Australian/NZ movies and not much from Europe or Asia.

It's kind of strange...but I think it's a good thing. I'm glad that more investment is moving down here, because I think that movies made here tend to be more unique and less "Hollywood"...so that they provide a fresh view or something.

Anyway, I'm rambling...bah.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, I think that things where going to go that route anyway. That thing that is unique about alot of the movies made here (in America), is that the films have an embedded symbolism, but at the same time remain enjoyable for those who have no aesthetic inclinations. In many cultures movies are just plot-driven, and for many, this isn't enough. A couple of years ago, I probably wouldn't have cared, but now it matters. The films are becoming easy to watch for everyone.