OtakuBoards

Chrono Cross

Zidargh

Chrono Cross is an excellent game that surpasses even the original, in my humble opinion. Obviously, some of the more lovable characters like Frog and the awesome Magus are no longer around, but there is an up side. To the best of my recollection, there are forty-four total selectable characters. The greatest aspect about the vast selection is that they're all very developed. In all honesty, it's very difficult to combine a vast selection of playable party members [I]and[/I] make give them deep personalities. However, each individual, from Kid to Skelly comes across in their own unique way. Overall, all of them are fun to play. Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses in battle, making it useful for the gamer to know who they're bringing with them into battle. The only downside is that Serge is silent, much like Crono.

The battle system also gets a thumbs up. Although, battles are not random in Chrono Cross, a large chunk of any rpg involves leveling up characters, so it's very important for fighting sections of the game to remain enjoyable and challenging. The element grid and innate attributes really add to the complexity of the magic system. I particuarly liked the fact that regular attacks are divided between strong, weak and medium, each with their own unique likelihood of making contact. Boss battles can be too easy, but for the most part they require a nice blend of strategy and chance. Most importantly, in my experiences they never became annoying.

In an effort to avoid a long winded review, I'll just say that the graphics and music are top notch for a PSX game. You definitely won't have anything to complain about here. Also, there is a good deal of hidden goodies to find, such as frames for text boxes. The replay is great too, because like it's predecessor, Chrono Cross doesn't end after you beat it once. The game includes somewhere around nine different endings in the New Game+ mode.

Good purchase! Now, we only have to wait for Chrono Break, and a long wait it will be.....

As CWB said, on your journey you'll come across many friends that will join your quest, which it'll be up to you to choose who you would want on your quest or you can always switch around and try them all.

The battle system is really neat, its fun to see all the characters to combo enemies with their weapons and use magic skills that they earn.

Well goodluck on this long epic game, and also I hope you will enjoy some of the very nice cinema scenes as well.

Once you complete the game be sure to try out the New Game+ because it packs quite a few interesting feature.;)

[COLOR=darkblue]When you put a somewhat linear storyline with tons of characters...it's hard to relate to them and get their backgrounds...I really liked Chrono Cross because of it's relaxing environments and heavily themed texts...though the part that really stood out was the battle system. 40 hours...but I still prefer the original on the SNES...[/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
It has a really hooked plot near the middle of the game. Where you can....uh..oh yeah can't spoil it... The music's okay, and the characters are almost like the characters of FF really. The cut scenes are really graphical( for PS one), but the bad is that they can't talk in the cutscenes.