OtakuBoards

This isnt nintendo but...

Madmax

I was wondering if any of you have gp32? [URL=http://www.upstategames.com/gp32_hw_sys.phtml]Hers a link[/URL] Its made buy a korean company and its supposedaly the Gbc/a killer. They had a site but to my best efforts it was untranslaitable.
sorry if this dont belong here.

Well, the specs are good, but we've all learned that numbers mean little in the handheld market. The NeoGeo Pocket Color was a great system that should of been successful, but without a good promotional campaign it failed. Unless we see some good developers signing on and a good advertising campaign backing it up, you can kiss that puppy goodbye.

[color=indigo]Hmm... yeah, it does look good... But, I don't think it's going to "kill" the GBA. The reason is that pretty much [i]everyone[/i] is developing for the GBA, plus it's got Nintendo's first party games. That, and the GBA already has a [i]very, VERY[/i] large userbase already. Nintendo has sold well over a million GBAs already, I'm pretty sure.

But, if it gets some good third party developers, it might lessen Nintendo's hold on the handheld gaming market. It'll be interesting to see how it does against the GBA, anyway. I haven't really seen a good handheld system war before...[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desbreko [/i]
[B][color=indigo]I haven't really seen a good handheld system war before...[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Hmmm, the Game Gear/Game Boy war was probably the closest yet. It's a shame that Sega lost interest in keeping the system around. Game Gear sucked up batteries faster than anything, but it's colorful graphics, backlight screen and superior games made it a nice alternative to GameBoy for a little while.

[color=indigo]Yeah, one of my friends has an old Game Gear and a couple Sonic games on it... I played it for a bit, but the batteries only had a few minutes of life left in them. I did like the backlit screen, but I don't think having to use a ton of batteries and then only getting a couple hours or gameplay is worth it. I'd rather not have it backlit, and get a decent amount of gameplay time, myself.[/color]

I tell you, if it had a description, I'd be a hella lot happier...

To me it looks different, but it probably does the same thing as the GBA... I mean, it's 32-bit (so the graphics can't be better than the GBA), it's handheld..... :rolleyes:

[color=indigo]Umm... yes, the graphics could be better than the GBA. The PlayStation is 32 bit, and it's capable of [i]way[/i] better graphics than the GBA. The bit-rate of a system doesn't really have any effect on how good the graphics are, it's the graphics card that's in the system that determines the quality of the graphics.

Personally, I don't think it's going to catch on very well... People know that the GBA is good, and has lots of good games, so why should they buy a different system and risk having crappy games on it? For people that can only afford one system, they'll most likely get the GBA because it's dependable. This new system is going to have a [i]very[/i] hard time catching on, with the GBA going strong as it is. I'm not saying that this system will just be a piece of crap, though, I'm just saying that it probably won't provide much competition. The GBA has been out for almost a year now, and people know that it's a great system... So people will probably continue to buy the GBA, because they know they'll get their monies worth... With this new system, they'll be taking a risk, and for those that can't afford two systems, I don't think they'll take that risk.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desbreko [/i]
[B][color=indigo]Umm... yes, the graphics could be better than the GBA. The PlayStation is 32 bit, and it's capable of [i]way[/i] better graphics than the GBA. The bit-rate of a system doesn't really have any effect on how good the graphics are, it's the graphics card that's in the system that determines the quality of the graphics.
[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]Yeah, sorry, you're pretty much right there....

Though I still think it does the same thing as the GBA. I mean, it would probably be popular if it took mini CDs.... :drunk: though I doubt that'll ever happen...

[color=indigo]Personally, I wouldn't want a handheld system to use CDs/DVDs... If it's handheld, that means you're going to be carrying your games around, and carrying your games around leads to scratches on the disc... That, and memory cards on a handheld would be a pain, because that's one more thing to carry around with the system. ...Unless all the games used passwords... But that would be more of a pain, because you'd have to write them down, and then carry a piece of paper with you, instead of a memory card... I think they should just stick with cartridges for handheld systems. Even if they can't hold as much, it's still worth it because they're easier to deal with.[/color]

Yeah, and also, usually when you bump your PSX, the game freezes.... so that's another pain of the use of CDs on handhelds....

The thing with the GBA cratridges, is that they're pretty small, and easy to lose.... :drunk: I've lost all my games atleast once...

[B]The Game-Gear vs Game Boy war didn't last long, since the GB had sold shedloads before GG was even released, and yes, the GG sucked up the battery power faster than you could put them in, but about 2 months after release they began to include an adaptor with it, but that obviously eliminated the idea of taking it everywhere, which is the main point of the market.[/B]