OtakuBoards

Almost 3000 members?

Chaos

Guest ProudClod
I hate it when members think you know nothing because you are a newbie, its fair enough telling them that they dont know the rules, but knowledge, no way, thats stereotype......I guess im doing ok, I registered end of last month and have a high amount of posts, but Mist *steps back slowly*....keep up the good work

But I guess that quality beats quantity, for example look at Rick Hunter, he only has 300 or so posts, and is a moderator...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Saiyangohan2002 [/i]
[B]
Exactly what happended in august 2001? i have been meaning to point out that the earliest registation was august last year. yet i remember signing in as a different name, im may 2001 so wtf up with that? what happened?
[/B][/QUOTE]

According to what Sephiroth told me, Otakuboards was seriously messed around with, one administrator or moderator gave away passwords to another member, who screwed around with everything....Seph usually talks a load of bull, but seeing as he is one of the most popular guys here and has been here very long, I see no reason why he would lie......do you?

[quote]
According to what Sephiroth told me, Otakuboards was seriously messed around with, one administrator or moderator gave away passwords to another member, who screwed around with everything....Seph usually talks a load of bull, but seeing as he is one of the most popular guys here and has been here very long, I see no reason why he would lie......do you?
[/quote]

Actually... I heard a different story about it... I just used "crashed" because I'm not sure if its true or anything, but I heard Adam hit the wrong thing in the AdminCP and restarted the boards accidentally...

Ok, maybe we should just drop this "crash" thing....it's getting a bit off topic. Either way, I never even knew about it anyway....:drunk:

3000 members is quite alot of members....I remember seeing 1600 members registered up the top of the page.....:rolleyes:

Wow that's...*count on fingers and toes* Woh, a lot!:excited:

Back in my day (Dec. 2000), we didn't have any of 'em spamin' newbies! 'Cause if you did, you were BANNED! Or your post were taken way. It's was much stricter back then! The post were better too. And there wernt no avatars or purdy colored text either. And you could post images! In your post and siggys! It was all good. But now the boards are all grown up. *snif* Ah, the good ol' days...*sippppppp*

[color=royalblue]It's kind of surprising that there are so many rumors about how OtakuBoards "went down".

It was pretty basic, actually.

Somehow, thimoc/Shinji got a hold of Adam's password. They then proceeded to hand out the password to a few others...and they made others Admins...and basically, they screwed the entire site up by mass spamming.

Myself and a few others managed to clean it up and shut down the site, to protect it from "hacking", but in the end, Adam and I decided that it would be better to just delete the whole thing and start again in a more secure environment -- OB v3 was the result: it was the first OB to run on Virtual Bulletin software.

I hope that clears up any of the silly rumors. ;)

To this day, I think the so-called hackers actually did us a huge favor. Without them, we'd probably still have our old UBB and we'd probably only be on v3. Thanks to them, we are now on v5 and are running perhaps the best boards software we've ever had. :)[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Elite DBZ [/i]
[B][B]LOL! I doubt that pleased them....

So, in a sense we can all be glad that they did it, as we have new and improved boards? It's funny how some things work out...[/B] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Yeah, it's definitely a case of "what goes around, comes around"...or something like that.

Their aim was to totally ruin/destroy our community. But they did two opposite things: they alienated themselves (they thought it'd be funny, but instead, everyone else in the forums basically dislikes what they did and is frustrated by it) and they also served to prompt Adam and I to launch v3.

So really...it was a total backfire. And that is why I have [i]no[/i] problem with people bringing it up again. It's always funny to talk about the situation with v2...[/color]

I was wondering...since there are quite many "banned" people in the members-section, are they still among the 3000+?

And I seen the phenomenon, that somebody just abandons his/hers old member-name and starts as a newbie (dunno why, but it happens...). So if all of these were erased, among with the names who have never posted since the day they registered, I think the 3000+ would decrease A LOT! (As you have already said, but I wanted to put these kinda "members" to the discussion too).

I myself think I'm kinda addicted to this site... even one day away from here gives me symptoms...sad but true...:(
So no worry that I'LL leave this forum for a while.;)

[color=teal][size=1]I know what you mean, sage, one day away and I get queasy...

And you got a point there. I abandoned my name once, to start another, but came right back. So yeah, that's at least one voided name...[/color][/size]