OtakuBoards

Super Mario Sunshine

Guest Matt

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desbreko [/i]
[B][color=indigo]As for the story being bad...come on, it's a Mario game. There doesn't need to be a story. The stories in Mario games are not what sells the games, it's the gameplay. I wouldn't care if there wasn't a story at all, because it wouldn't really change the game much. You'd still run around collecting crap while pulling off insane jumps and jumping on enemies, and all the other stuff that makes a Mario game a Mario game.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=deeppink]I'm not saying that the entire storyline is terrible. Cleaning up paint is one of the most original things I have ever heard, and I can't think of one other game that uses that.

I'm also not saying that points in the story I don't like compromise the gameplay in any way. Like I said, it's a great game and I love it.

*SPOILER*
*DO*
*NOT*
*READ*
*IF*
*NOT*
*WANT*
*SPOILED*

Gohan2000... this is a Mario game, of course Bowser himself is in it.

*END SPOILER*[/COLOR]

[b]As James so kindly informed me (thank you you stopped my friend moaning :D) Super Mario Sunshine comes out on the 4th of October in Australia, the exact same day as it comes out in England. I am twiddling my thumbs in anticipation.. :D

I must say, Nintendo Europe have done a fantastic job on trying to get SMS over in England relatively quickly, as we had to wait an age for games such as Zelda: Ocarina of Time to come out on the N64..[/b]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Elite DBZ [/i]
[B][b]As James so kindly informed me (thank you you stopped my friend moaning :D) Super Mario Sunshine comes out on the 4th of October in Australia, the exact same day as it comes out in England. I am twiddling my thumbs in anticipation.. :D

I must say, Nintendo Europe have done a fantastic job on trying to get SMS over in England relatively quickly, as we had to wait an age for games such as Zelda: Ocarina of Time to come out on the N64..[/b] [/B][/QUOTE]

I too am waiting eagerly for Mario to come out in England! what i don't see is why they don't release the Games in all the countries at the same time, It would make a lot of sense!

[color=indigo]The reason they don't is because, what if the localization of the US version gets done before another version? Then the US version would have to be delayed, and they'd lose money because the game would be finished but not on the shelves and selling. And there are other reasons, too, I used to know a few more as to why it takes longer to release games elsewhere... So, really it doesn't actually make much sense when you think about it from their point of view, when they're point of view is to make a profit. :whoops:[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=royalblue]I think it makes up for it. I don't know about Europe, but when people talk about Australia, I think they forget that we regularly get games earlier than the USA/Europe...and in some cases, we get games that other countries never see.[color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Bleh. I am still upset that Europe/Australia get Doshin the Giant and Kuru Kuru Kururin, and the US gets jack.

Anyway, kind of off topic... but there is a great interview with Charles Martinet (the voice of Mario) at [URL=http://www.n-sider.com]N-Sider[/URL], that was spearheaded by James. Very worth reading.

You ole' British Zidane here just got this game yesterday, and he loves it. Seriously, there is no doubt about the fact that this game is worthy of a 92%, the other 8% is the stupid voice Peach has, man I hate her. *Coughs* But this is a great game, jumping can be a bit of a pain but a very thoroughly thought out game as in enemies and bosses being filled up with water, when and IF they explode the water exasperates and cleans the surroundings of the paint like substance. Music's great and tactics of getting enemies to defeat other enemies exists, so I definetley recommend this game. Only thing is, I left my GCN memory card at my mums. -_-;

[b]I also just got Sunshine, and I cannot stress enough how fantastic this game is to play. A lot of imagination has clearly gone into the levels and bosses (Noki island eel anyone?), along with the incredible fun riding on Yoshi.

It's no pushover either (as I discovered the hard way), some of the levels where you have FLUDD stolen are insanely difficult, but very satisfying once you acquire that lovely Shine at the end.

*runs off to play Sunshine*[/b]

[color=darkred] I first played the game at TED's house, and I must say it is yet another pressure on me to buy a Game Cube, I have been dieing to get one since the day of release and Mario Sunshine just confirms my belief that there should be one connected to my television at once :P. The game in itself is fantastic, however not very appealing to the non-Mario lovers in this world (I think Mario haters are a myth myself, no-one can hate that lovable Plumber, can they?). I have played pretty much all game and am very proud to say so and think that Mario Sunshine is a brilliant, exciting, and truly dificult addition to the series.[/color]

[b]Oh good, so I can stop trying to complete every single one of the early levels to get shines then, :D

At the moment I have 50 shines, and I only just unlocked the level with the giant manta boss (can't think of the name of the level), how many shines does everyone else have?[/b]

[color=indigo]There are 11 Shines in each level, not including the 30 Blue Coins in each. Then there are the ones in Delfino Plaza, and the ones that your get from Blue Coins, and it'll all eventually add up to 120... Keep at it, lol.

And that level is called Sirena Beach. The second boss fight in that level is funny. :)[/color]

[b]I just passed most of Sirena Beach (thanks for the name for it Desbreko :D), although I can't get all the red coins, lol.

What is annoying me occassionaly about SMS is the camera angles. Although the camera is pretty much under the control of the C-stick it has caused me many a death just by it shunting to a point where I can't see Mario fast enough to react to something. A prime example is the giant pinball mini-level, where the camera just goes all over the place at times.[/b]

[color=indigo]...Pinball? Do you mean the pachinko level, where you have to bounce up and land in the cups to get eight Red Coins? For me, the camera was fine for that part. The only time it changed it for me during that was when I slid through a hole in one of the cups, and it turned the view around to the other side of the board. Other than that, I had full control of the camera.

I will admit that there are some problems, but when you compare it to Super Mario 64, the camera seems perfect, lol. In SM64, it shifted all the heck over the place by itself. in SMS, it usually won't change by itself unless it hits a wall or something, and can't move any farther in that direction. I found it quite easy to work with for all but a few parts in the game.[/color]

• 3 weeks later...
I would give it either a 9.5 or 10 out of 10 it is such a great game. When I got my gamecube my mom wanted to get Luigi's mansion but she couldnt find it so she bought Mario Sunshine she thought she would hate the game and come to find out my mom absoutly loves the game.(my mom plays more video games than me she just LOVES them)

Guest QuickSilver
this game rules, its defenately one of the best for the Game Cube. I have done the game and in my opinnion Mario rules all, he his just cool. Now all i need to do is get all the sunshines, i have about 75

Yea my mom only has 75 sprite stars right now. And she has all ready beaten the bad guy.(im not giving the bad guys names away for the people who havent won the game yet, or hasnt gotten to "Pinna Park". But it is pretty obvious who the bad guys are)(hint hint)

I've only owned Super Mario Sunshine for about 2 weeks, and I've had my hands busy with Resident Evil, Animal Crossing, and Super Smash Brothers: Melee so I haven't had much time to play. I have about 20 sprites..

This game was really weird. It's very easy to get used to the controls, just like Mario 64 was. The graphics are a step up, especially the water effects; They're amazing. The controls, as I've said, are easy to get used to, but there are some more trickier moves (like the backflip/water spray) that take a little practice to master.

The camera was annoying, and at some times downright evil. I think that this is the only (major) flaw this game has. My favorite part in this game so far was the battle on the roller coaster with ???? (Don't wanna give anything away ;) ).