Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
Man there was an earthquake here in the UK, Birmingham to be exact, it happened on sunday

I was about to fall asleep at the time (12.55am) when suddenly my whole room was shaking, I swear, I thought it was a bomb or something since earthquakes are extremely rare in the UK

It only lasted about 30 seconds, but I don't think I'll ever forget it, it measured 4.8 on the richter (SP) scale

As many of you know Sephiroth also lives in Birmingham and although there have been no reports of casualties I have no heard from him since (he has moved in with his family)

I tried to phone him but there doesn't seem to be an answer, I know he's probably ok but you know, you get worried about these things

Anywhoo, I dunno why I posted this, just to let you people know there was an earthquake here O_O
Posted
[b]The shockwaves could be felt all over the UK, totally unexpected quake I must say, I mean how often does it happen in England?!

At the time I had a helicopter flying over my house (rather nice of them, especially at that time of the morning) so I wasn't able to feel any vibrations or hear anything going on, although people who live near me felt it.[/b]
Posted
Yea that is odd, especially for europe. You dont hear about that sort of thing happening too much.

I guess armegedon really is on the way.
Posted
There's a fault line underneath Chichester, apparantly, about seven miles from where I live (and where most of my friends are). About ten years ago, I remember being on the loo when there was a terrific rumbling noise. It was a tremor. Nothing's happened since, but it's scary to think that even places nowhere near major faultlines aren't free from them. I hope everyone in Birmingham's okay. It might just be that the power's out. Several tornadoes in Bognor and Selsey last year knocked the power out for ages.

I hope it isn't Armageddon. I've not played Starfox Adventures yet. :freak:
Posted
im in guildford surrey next to london and i didnt fell the earth quake but people here keep saying they did but i didnt feel a thing but i hope the chimneys are ok lol:laugh: well its not that funny but it could be
Posted
FYI:
A 4.8 on the rictor(sp?) scale is "stuff falls off the shelf, things loosen up" power. A few things might fall apart, but there shouldn't be many (or any) casualties. The rictor scale is a logrithmic scale, so there's a bigger difference between 4 and 5 than there is between 3 and 4.

I guess that Geology class actually came in useful. And to think the rest of my friends took Physics. Ha! :p

Seriously, I hope everybody's ok. It [i]is[/i] strange to hear about a quake in the U.K. It reminds me to prepare for the pending "big one" that should hit California unexpectedly in the next decade. :nervous:
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Endymion [/i]
[B]FYI:
A 4.8 on the rictor(sp?) scale is "stuff falls off the shelf, things loosen up" power. A few things might fall apart, but there shouldn't be many (or any) casualties. The rictor scale is a logrithmic scale, so there's a bigger difference between 4 and 5 than there is between 3 and 4.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah...what she/he said. :D

Also it was news cos the UK rarely gets an actual quakes. Even Australia has more. And US more than Australia. And Japan probably more than US...not sure maybe about the same. In any case, Japan is a really bad place to live if you're afraid of quakes. :)
Posted
[color=darkblue][size=1]I live in Southern California (also known as "Natural Disaster Capital of the World") and earthquakes are serious. 4.8 is more than enough to cause some serious damage, but I am glad to hear that there have not been any casualties...

...if anyone talks about "The Big One" in front of me I will kill them. If it is half as powerful as everyone thinks it will be, then we are in trouble.

-Shy[/color][/size]
Posted
*covers Shyguy's ears*

The "big one" is supposed to be an Earthquake that will strike California like a gigantic jack-hammer. It'll be as its most powerful near the San Andreas fault line. Experts say it'll most likely happen somewhere in the next 10 or so years.

(now to be somewhat naive)

It's just a theory and nobody knows if a sequence of smaller earth quakes will soften the blow or not. Plus it probably won't come close to half as powerful as they say it will.
Posted
It's like part of Yellowstone National Park is due to erput sometime (it's a massive volcano, and it's all gloom and doom that it's overdue. It's all statistical data anyway, and really it doesn't hold a lot of stead because real life is never how it's predicted to be. I wouldn't lose sleep over it unless there was serious cause for alarm. Even if it was happening soon (and it's more than likely it'll be outside our lifetimes), there'd be little we coiuld do about it. The best thing to do is to live life as best you can until the inevitable (or supposedly inevitable) happens. And when it does, you may be surprised.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by zidane11 [/i]
[B]I hope everyone is ok. 4.8 is huge but it isn't tiny. Tell us if you here from sephiroth. [/B][/QUOTE]

Dude, I'm right here, lol

It's funny, if there was no news coverage or anything, I wouldn't have known about it, because.........

I was [I]asleep[/I]during the earthquake, lol

Guess I'm a pretty heavy sleeper, I mean, I have to be, to be able to sleep through an earthquake O_o;;;
Posted
[SIZE=1]LOL, were you drunk Seph? I mean anybody can sleep through that when they are drunk.... LOL. Well Glad to hear you are still alive and not horribly mutilated by a gigantic earthquake.....or by an oncoming railgun shot..or wait, [b]I[/b] did that to u.....[/SIZE]
Posted
Come to think of it, yes, I was drunk and asleep when it happened, lol

Had a mad Tekken 4 session from 3pm until 10pm, playing and drinking, so yeah, must have been the alcohol that made me sleep through it

Damn you and that railgun shift! Har Har Har!

That wasn't [URL=http://devilkazuya187.50megs.com/funnypost.jpg]FUNNY![/url]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=royalblue]Hm, I don't know how big 4.8 is (relatively speaking)...but I hope everyone's okay over there. :)[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Hell yeah.. I didn't even notice it, I was asleep...

And I [i]wasn't drunk[/i].

Seph, it's probably a good job you slept through it if you were drunk: I can't imagine how I might react to an Earthquake if I was drunk. I'd probably challenge it to a fight...
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sephiroth [/i]
[B]Dude, I'm right here, lol

It's funny, if there was no news coverage or anything, I wouldn't have known about it, because.........

I was [I]asleep[/I]during the earthquake, lol

Guess I'm a pretty heavy sleeper, I mean, I have to be, to be able to sleep through an earthquake O_o;;; [/B][/QUOTE]

Lol!!! You were a sleep during an earth quake!? When did you find out about it? Was there stuff all over the floor?:therock:
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted
[b][size=1]
lol...it's been a month, and England's been struck again!
In Manchester as well, wouldn't you know...
But it [i]was[/i] only 2.5 on the Richter scale, and all the three tremors (if you can even call them that) did was distract me from playing FFVI[/b]

lol[/size]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by gokents [/i]
[B]Yea that is odd, especially for europe. You dont hear about that sort of thing happening too much.

I guess armegedon really is on the way. [/B][/QUOTE]
Oh... sorry guys... I didnt think that tunnel i was digging to china would cave in like that...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...