• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#221 chibi-master

chibi-master

OB Superstar

• Members
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

I picked up Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs this weekend. I'm currently about 200-something pages into the first one, and I must say that it's even more gruesome than the film so far.

Also, I noticed a strange writing pattern while reading the parts with Lecter in them. The book is told in the past-tense. However, whenever Lecter is being described, the writing switches to present-tense. For example, Lecter's cell could be described like 'It was small and clean.' but then all of the sudden we get 'His eyes are maroon. He is a small man.' I'm not sure why the author did that, but I just found it interesting.
Posted Image
Proud member of the Padded Room Party conspiracy.
Huggles for the creators of my avatar and banner: CaNz and Lilt!

#222 Boo

Boo

OB Superstar

• Members
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

Posted Image

Empire State by Adam Christopher. It's a noir super hero novel, with dystopian and sci-fi elements to it. I bought it because the cover looks absolutely ace and it's actually a really cool novel.

Also, I am building a pile of books that still need reading. On top is Catch 22, then comes Submarine, then Old Man and the Sea, followed by a couple of John Irvings, after which I wanted to tackle some classicer classics like Homer, Sir Walter Scott, Verne, et cetera. To vary a bit, I've taken to reading bits and pieces of Bible and Norton Anthology of English Literature.

Oh, and I gave my gorgeous girlfriend Jemrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch for Christmas, and the cover looks awesome, so I wanted to actually mainly read it myself.

Posted Image

Edited by Boo, 21 March 2012 - 07:05 PM.

Posted Image

#223 RedJ

RedJ

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

Currently slowly making my way through Nightlife by Rob Thurman. It sort of reminds me of The Dresden Files, only the main character is a bit younger. And a half LOLSPOILERsortof. And maaaaybe not quite as entertaining, but it's...okay so far (hence the slowly bit).

#224 Allamorph

Allamorph

OB Superstar

• Members
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

Just finished: Fight Club

Next up: Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Friend

Milady jigglyness. / Ezekiel is gorgeous.
Gerry / Indi – Partner in Crime

Winds of the Future ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ Ghosts of the Past
Posted Image
Gemini of War

adamgha: FML

adamgha: my roommate is having loud sex with some ho he brought in

#225 Katie!

Katie!

Otaku

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

I just finished Mockingjay, the last novel in the Hunger Games triology. It was a good read, definitely a heart ache of an ending, though.

Next up is Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy. I swear I was a detective in another life.

❝I SPEAK THUNDERBOLT ⚡❞

#226 chibi-master

chibi-master

OB Superstar

• Members
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

Like every other person in my high school, I read The Hunger Games a couple months ago. I was really disappointed. It was a decent story I guess, but the characters were a little bland and everything seemed really predictable.
Spoiler
I'll admit I wasn't expecting those.
Posted Image
Proud member of the Padded Room Party conspiracy.
Huggles for the creators of my avatar and banner: CaNz and Lilt!

#227 otakuuu

otakuuu

• New Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

Finished reading: The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins)

I was actually reading this while reading the other two but it wasn't as dense as the other two, so it was a good break from reading both Martin & Doyle. (:
It wasn't how I expected, in both good and bad ways. I'd recommend it fer sure brah. Still have to read the other two though..(sigh).

Currently reading: A Game of Thrones (George R. R. Martin), The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)--technically on hold

A Game of Thrones is awesome in making me want to read more. It was slow at first but picked up as it went. (:
It's really descriptive and complete fantasy; basically one of the great fantasy stories of the '90's. Also recommended, but it's fairly thick (the small paperback anyway)..about 800-ish pages? It's great for commuting on trains. :D

Posted Image

#228 Boo

Boo

OB Superstar

• Members
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:47 AM

Speaking of thick books, I finished Ayn Rand's magnum opus Atlas Shrugged sometime this year. Took me long enough. 1300 pages of which about two-thirds could have been left out because they keep repeating the same ideas over and over again. Rand completely over analyzes her own theories and the characters, and she does that right there, word for word, in the book itself, explaining everything over and over again just to make sure we don't misunderstand her intentions. This sucks because some ideas are actually really interesting, but the way they are imposed upon the reading is really distracting. Only at some points was I able to connect in any way with one or two characters, and that mostly ended by them starting a speech on the glory of materialism.

Ordeal: You do not have to read this. It's not worth it.

Posted Image

#229 MoonSpider96

MoonSpider96

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

for a school assignment: For Whom the Bell Tolls

for myself: the series The Morganville Vampires

by the time I finish that, The Slayer Chronicles: Second Chance should be out for release, as well as the graphic novel adaptation of The chronicles of Vladimir Tod: Eighth Grade Bites

All of these are ones I haven't begun yet, though for the last two I read the first book at least.

- The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod
- The Slayer Chronicles
- Legacy of Tril

all of them are very good books by a lady named Heather Brewer. Big fan. Good teen novels. Lots of action, and does vampires how they are supposed to be. Good humor too. Legacy of Tril is the really different one, mainly for katana sword-fights with deadly monsters, but it's a cool fantasy.

I'd recommend all of them.

Edited by MoonSpider96, 28 July 2012 - 08:39 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Writing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users