I don't really find Natsume to be that bad. Some people say she's annoying, but I don't mind her. Except, of course, when she's begging for items...and sometimes her tendency to suck up to Kite gets on my nerves. But she is one of the characters that I use most.
I'm different than most people, because I make Kite a mage, sort of. As much as he can be, at least. I always give him Wavemaster armor, and the only weapons I have him use are Fishskin and Two Together, since those have summons. It may not seem like it has a point in .hack//INFECTION and .hack//MUTATION, but since the only Wavemaster you can use in .hack//OUTBREAK is Wiseman, and I don't like him much, it serves a purpose for me. And it's useful when fighting [spoiler]Cubia[/spoiler], too.
And since Kite's more of a Wavemaster than a Twin Blade for me, I tend to bring Natsume along a lot.