[FONT=Calibri]That is a truckload of Grade A Baloney. The only 'reason' everyone 'knows' Poe is because "The Raven" is beat into their heads from second grade by people who generally haven't got a clue how to approach it in the first place and are only going over it because it's in the curriculum, and "The Telltale Heart", "The Cask of Amontillado", and occasionally (blessedly) "The Masque of the Red Death" are the only things anyone can think of for 'variety' around Halloweenâ??and because some of the more aged English teachers get a little bit sappy over "Annabel Lee". No one ever reads "Fall of the House of Usher" because they think it takes way too long and are afraid of losing people's interest. (Ray Bradbury riffed off of "Usher" in his short "Usher II" in [U]The Martian Chronicles[/U]. That short is one of my favorites of his.) No one reads "The Maelström" because I'm pretty sure nobody understands it, nobody reads "The Oval Portrait" or "The Eight Chained Ourangoutangs", and No One even remotely [I]knows[/I] about "Never Bet the Devil Your Head", which is Poe writing comedy (of all things; he satirises the Transcendentalists beautifully) and is quite possibly my favorite next to "Usher".
Ooooh. That burns me up a little. I want you to march right back to your teacher and ask her very indignantly what her reaction would have been if you had chosen Emerson, Thoreau, Frost, or Eliot. I am willing to bet dollars to donuts she wouldn't have said one word against it. That is poetary discrimination and I am VERY OFFENDED.
=P
(But really, I am.)
[CENTER]- - - - - - - - -[/CENTER]
Oof, Pablo Neruda. Good man, but that's gonna be a bit of a difficult project, there. Foreign poets are typically a little tougher to get at because they write in their own language, and although their work might be masterful, it will invariably lose something in the translation. Meter doesn't always work right, some flow is going to be lost, and ... well, think of it like an Asian coming up to you and insulting you by calling you a vegetable. Unless you know the culture, you're not going to understand the meaning very well.
Still, if you do your work right, you should be okay. It's not a backbreaking project, just a bit thicker to get through than, say, Carroll.[/FONT]