Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
This is horrible...
Here are the Battle City Dub names:

The God cards:
God of Obelisk----Obelisk the Tormentor
God of Osiris----Slifer the Sky Dragon
God of Ra---- The Winged Dragon of Ra

Charcters:
Esper Roba----Espa Roba
Rare Hunter----Rare Hunter
Pandora----Arkana
Light and Dark Mask----Umbra and Lumis
Pantomine----Strings
Malik Ishtar----Marik Ishtar
Isis Ishtar----Ishizu Ishtar

I can't belive it...
The God cards lost their awesome names..Slifer the Sky Dragon!?!?
::faints::
Most of the character names are okay...but some of their original names were better. Isis is way better than Ishuzi
Posted
The japanese names are so much better but it's a dub, what do you expect? we should make a petition to 4kids to release an uncut/unedited version on DVD but until then, we're stuck with these cheap names.
Posted
What can u say dubs suck
same thing with digimon
the people who come up with these names suck
why cant they just keep the japaneese names?
Posted
Just a note: I think there is some kind of misunderstanding somewhere between the original writers and the dubbers because anyway, I'm not sure you can actually pronounce "Isis" in japanese the way you pronounce it in English, thus the dubbers used the same pronunciation. The problem really appeared when they got to write it down the way they had it pronounced.

What do you think?

More things:

Maybe there is a more realistic reason for the god cards' dubbed names, but remember: there had been weirder translation before.

Personnaly, I like Umbra and Lumis much better than Dark Mask and Light Mask, which is a bit plain.

Strings for Pantomime is appropriate enough, though I really don't see why they couldn't have kept Pantomime: do they REALLY believe people have such poor vocabulary??

Arkana for Pandora. O.o There must be some meaning behind this, but I certainly don't see which...
Posted
LOL I already signed that petition, It's floating around online.. The other cause of the petition is unedited CCS, but that's already been done... Anyway, look for it, it already has 4000 sigs.

_._ *pukes* dub names suck.
Posted
I have information! The reason why they changed the God cars names is b/c that were afraid that they might "offend someone". URG! THIS CRAP MAKES MY SO MAD. It loses the whole God card mentality! Whats the point?
Posted
Those cards are banned in the actual card game and they probably didn't exist when that video game came out in Japan. They probably never will here. But in Japanese Duel Monsters 7, I read that the God Cards can be used. *shrugs and wanders off* Hope this helped! *crashes into a bookcase, it topples over and pins me down* Help me!
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by HyperShadow [/i]
[B]This is horrible...
Here are the Battle City Dub names:

The God cards:
God of Obelisk----Obelisk the Tormentor
God of Osiris----Slifer the Sky Dragon
God of Ra---- The Winged Dragon of Ra

Charcters:
Esper Roba----Espa Roba
Rare Hunter----Rare Hunter
Pandora----Arkana
Light and Dark Mask----Umbra and Lumis
Pantomine----Strings
Malik Ishtar----Marik Ishtar
Isis Ishtar----Ishizu Ishtar

I can't belive it...
The God cards lost their awesome names..Slifer the Sky Dragon!?!?
::faints::
Most of the character names are okay...but some of their original names were better. Isis is way better than Ishuzi [/B][/QUOTE]

THE DUBS! THEY BURN! AGH! why cant they just stay with the orignal names? I doubt kids are going to convert to the ancient religion of eygpt because of a stupid show!
Posted
Okay here is an answer to your question about the three god cards. I asked the same thing about why Toonami changed God Gundam's name to Burning Gundam. Its because we can't for some reason use the name god as a title of something beacuse this country was created under christian religion and we aren't supposed to have something named God unless we are referring to the entity god. Thats why. Sorry if it sounds a little vauge.
Posted
Get over it. I'll try to explain the Malik/Marik problem:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I know, there is NO sound in japanes that is pronounced really close to the english "r". A slightly similar sound exist, but it's also much like "l". It is NOT considered wrong to pronounce a japanese "l/r" as an english "r" but japanese speaking peoples prefer to use an english "l" because the english "r" is much harder for them to pronounce.

Problem is, the "l/r" sounds slightly more like a "r" to many english speakers, hence the romanization disagreements.

Results: generally, Japanese romanization use "l" much more often than "r", but the sounds is [i]still[/i] acceptable.
Posted
In my book thats not really acceptible
Marik and Malik sound totaly diffrent its horrible the people who made the names suck!!
Posted
Poor Malik... his good name has been soiled! Wait a minute.. ignore that last part.

Anyway, what's up with Pandora being named Arkana and Isis being named Ishizu? That's just wrong. Isis and Pandora are great names. Why should they change them?
Posted
I think its because that Pandora is a greek god and the writers didn't want to confuse anybody so they made up some type of name that sounds egyptian and japanese at the same time but they failed
Posted
I remember that near Wal-Mart there was a store called "Pandora BoXXX' (meaning it's a porno store it don't know if its a chain though) probably that influenced it a little.
Guest Altron Gundam
Posted
LOL, 4KidsEntertainment is sure as hell doing a screwjob on a really good anime series started in Japan. Osiris to Slifer..oh my...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...