Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
After about two years of having MSN, it has really messed up on me, either that, or I've had a hacker. Perish the thought.

Recently I've been recieveing emails from numourous hotmail accounts with the exact same email address as my own. Freaky. So naturally I deleted them, believing them to be some great form of evil junkmail.

Now today takes the cake.

I log in. I find that my one 50+ strong list of contacts is now nonexistant. My screen name has now reverted to my email address, and I am unable to change it back to it's former glory.
(I end up with 'That name is invalid)

So yeah, if this has haoppened to anyone, please tell my why and if my account is just temporarily messed up, not deleted.

(Mainly because I can't remember half of the addresses on my contact list)

-.-

Much appreciated.
Posted
[FONT=arial]hmmmm......seems to me you're screwed :cross: *gets conked :bash:*.

Hotmail hasn't done that to me so far, though I am getting fed up with some space size that they've screwed up or something.[/FONT]
Guest cloricus
Posted
Hehe, I remember MSN MSGER two years ago... Click... wait... logging on... wait... click... you have 1 new email... click... wait... wait... inet explorer page comes up... loads... click...
I remember when hotmail first started to... Those were the days...

Liam how long has it been since you have accessed that account and yes it could be likely that one of MS's massive raid arrays has failed, if so leave it a week to see if they restore it and if not get a new account.

Not much you can do, well there is a bit you can do but it would be illegal...

lol

-Lord Epssy
Posted
It sounds like an e-mail virus you may have gotten. You may want to do a virus scan on your comp to see what it finds. It may find nothing, but still you should. However, it seems to just be affecting your e-mail so thats good to some extent. When MSN and windows did their merger thing or whatever (granted they are both Microsoft products, but they used to act like seperat entities, but now they are more like one.) things have gone screwing with MSN software. Try to stay clear of any Windows/Microsoft products other than what you absolutely need to run your computer.
Posted
Well, everyone i know, MSN always screws withthem once ina while, that however i dont think has happened, although, you can save your contact list ;) So if you get a new account you can just import your contact list, KABLAM! same list, new address ;). To do this...File>Save Contact List. There you ahve it, so if it comes back, i reccomend doing that.

PS: Whats your MSN addy? So i can add you :p.
Posted
Well I did the ultimate evil and managed to resurrect my old MSN account of doom (shocked awed sounds all round) and I followed Shinobi's advice by saving the contact list and importing it to my current account.

Sadly I'm now still missing around 13 people -.-

~~~~

As for the email virus idea, no I haven't downloaded anything other than assignments of my own that I've emailed to myself while at school. But one of the sus emails that had my email address had a junkload of downloads in the form of 'pdf' files. Naturally I didn't download them.

~~~~

Virus scan?

Bah, I'm not going through that again. Last time we did a virus scan, it took four bloody hours and it was only three quarters done.

Besides, I don't believe it's a virus. I have the sneaking suspicion that the 3-4 year old Windows 98 OS we have is messing up again.

[i]Stupid microsoft and their decompositioning operating systems[/i]

~~~~~

Want my address? It's in my profile.
Posted
Microsoft jacks up MSN but I havnt really had that kind of crap happen
But I think it might be a hacker or the server just messed up your account
Posted
Hmm, well, I heard on TechTV that there was a virus going around where you got an email from your own account, or something along those lines. I don't know if this was the same case, but it sounds similar. Is anything else on your computer messed up?
Posted
No, I havn't had any problems with the computer, just the same old I'm-going-to-get-slower-faster-because-microsoft-said-so problems associated with the OS.
Posted
If it was a virus his computer would start acting up in this case its only MSN but it might be a virus in the early stages I would be really careful if I was you.
Posted
That's the main reason I got a new email address, and new MSN account a few months back. My old one (nightmaresnail@austarnet.com.au) started stuffing around, then all of a sudden it kinda blew up.

....never actually was fixed either. :rolleyes:
Posted
Hotmail and MSN get really messed up frequently but mostly the problems are temprorary liamc2 how long have you been having problems.
I think it might be a virus but it might just be a problem with the HOTMAIL server
Posted
I've been having the problems since i posted the original post. And at the moment I am unable to sign into MSN, and when I go to hte help page, it proclaims that the service is experiencing minor difficulties...
Guest cloricus
Posted
I agree with TN, the less M$ the better...
*Runs off to hide all his ms aps so he don't look stupie...*
The problem is what OS alt is there - Mac?s? Give me a break, linux/unix Ha the general public knowing how to use it lol. Lindows, a Apple owned Linux ap. (I had a conspiracy theory that bill gates had some thing to do with that one, and I WAS RIGHT. He owns allot of shares in Apple and it is Apple that is making it. So that is why they survived the M$ law suit, bill gates would of lost money on his shares.)

Liam it would have been a damaged Raid array.

-Lord Epssy
Guest cloricus
Posted
There is a Liam H now? (Oh I think I get who you are talking about, from school? He doesn't come here. He said it was a gay forum and left.)

Raid 5 array, it stripes backed up data across multiple HD's so that if one goes down you have less redundancy and you loss little data. It just takes awhile to bring back online if it?s a large array.
I have a book on it if you want to learn more.

-Lord Epssy
Posted
Ok, that's good...so in other words, MSN and AOL are singling me out because I will not submit to the constant barrage of 'webcam' and 'XXXX' offerings that I'm submitted to every freaking day of the week?

And do, not, and I repeat do not. Ever. Say 'most guys would love to be in your shoes.'

This guy does not love being in his shoes, he hates being in his shoes, he would wish that that part of the world would vanish off the face of itself and burn in a million tormenting hells!

~~~

As you can see, I am [b]not[/b] in a good mood, so do not mess with me today, or any other day for that matter.
Guest cloricus
Posted
/me thinks Liam "C" posted in the wrong thread?
And with his mood being like this should signup for my RPG...

Any way, now that?s its working your lucky a few other people have lost their accounts all together.

[Edited - added]
LiamC I don't think they advertise XXXX (a qld beer) to people who are under 18, and then again who would buy beer off the net when they can go to the local pub?
[/Edited]

-Lord Epssy
Posted
*resist urge to find large sharp object and to walk a 15 klicks to cloricus' house and ram the sharp and pointy object through his left nostril*
Guest cloricus
Posted
Why don?t you just walk the extra click to Ravens house and save her the money on her piercing... LOL (And yes that is my crappy attempt at a harmless joke, DONT BURN DOWN MY FATHERS HOUSE!)

As I said before - "now that?s its working your lucky a few other people have lost their accounts all together."
Or did you lose your account I lost track?

-Lord Epssy
Posted
[b][color=teal][size=1]I have never had that problem on my old hotmail account, but I was getting sick of 20+ pieces of junk mail a day, so I just got myself an excite account. Yup.


--Mike
"char,char!"[/b][/color][/size]
Posted
yeah this has happened to me many a time, as im on msn and aim quite a lot, there are many times when my list has got deleted, really there's nothing you can do...sometimes the list comes back, sometimes it doesn't, my brother, a computer programmer, said to not use it for a few days and come back and see if it works...i dunno hope that helps, best of luck....its all crappy, though, hotmail gets so much junk mail and viruses...
Posted
Well since were on teh subject of MSN problems... Ever since I updated to MSN 8 when ever I try to sign on I get a message saying that "MSN was unable to find the proper dial up cerdentials on my computer" but ever so often it will sign on with no problem. Can anyone help?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...