OtakuBoards

Console War!!!

BigCajones

Well, X-Box is a good system. Only problem is the size. Everything about that system is so big. :p I don't know if Halo is one of the top 5 games out there. But it is the best game for the X-Box with out a doubt. Jet Set Radio Future is pretty much the only other [b]good[/b] game for X-Box. I am going to look into buying one around the release of Ninja Gaiden. :) I'll stick with my Playstation 2 for now though.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah you should think about buying one, it's not as bad as I thought it would be (not that I have even set it up yet lol)It's got good games for each genre (ask if your interested in certain genre and I will try and answer!) the graphics should be best for the X-Box, you don't need a memory card which is a bonus and of course a DVD player.

Although Microsoft aren't doing to well with this big black and green fighting machine it still a good pressy.

Ask if interested!!![B]*Edits Post* If your not impressed with the games at the moment you should view what X02 had in for store some right beautys![/B] :excited:

Well as for this Christmas 'war' the stats go a bit like this (maybe just for England and may change a bit as recorded bit before Christmas):

PS2 in the lead with a whopping 61%
Then the GBA sneaks in with 18%
X-Box trying to close away from Gamecube with 14%
Last, but not least .. well wait yeah they are least with 7%

I don't know how factual that information is but it should be right at the moment.
I don't think it's all over for Gamecube as they are bringing out there big guns next year (in England anyway). X-Box could steam ahead with X-Box live as well, but they will have a long way to catch up!

What do you all think about this?

[color=#507AAC]I think it's kind of funny that your opinion of Xbox seems to have changed markedly since you bought one. Even when you weren't playing it. lol

Anyway, I think GameCube will outperform Xbox this Christmas in terms of software sales. Games such as Metroid Prime are going out effortlessly outsell Xbox Live kits this Christmas.

But once again, PS2 has the market cornered for the holidays. Just watch Vice City fly off the shelves.[/color]

I thought that Gamecube was the best though, but everywhere I read now it's not the best and I didn't even ask for an X-Box and parents just got me one, so I didn't exactly complain.

But I still love the Gamecube they just need more games now and a better variety for 2003 and they will do great. I can't help the fact I suppose X-Box are doing a really good deal now, so it makes more people change their minds!

It's funny how the little handheld gaming console beat both X-Box and Gamecube in the sales, but that's still good for Nintendo.

[color=#507AAC]Since when is "everywhere" saying that Xbox is the best?

This is where you need to start citing some [i]sources[/i] to continue the discussion.

In any case, I think Xbox and GameCube are about equal in terms of software quantity. But GameCube clearly has a higher number of AAA titles. Who knows if that will change in the future. Given the changes apparent recently in the industry, I certainly wouldn't want to make a prediction about it.

But as I said, PS2 will probably clean up this holiday season.

If we include the GBA though, there's no competition. GBA will absolutely thrash PS2 this Christmas. Recent releases such as Zelda are sure to push the little handheld further than ever before.[/color]

Well I didn't say X-Box was the best I still think PS2 is until the PS3 is released. It says that X-Box console compared to the other consoles is better in these departments:

-Graphics (250MHZ NV2A)
-Memory/Storage (64 Megabytes of RAM/8GB)
-Power (733MHZ)
-Audio (Dolby Digital 5.1)
-Online gaming (as they are the only ones so far I suppose)

Also other little things like DVD which is good, no need for memory card and you can play a CD on your X-Box while playing on some games and are bringing out loads of titles showed in X02.

[color=#507AAC]Who/what says Xbox is better in those departments? You're still not citing a source.

And that is arguable anyway. Xbox is "better" at [i]some[/i] things and worse at others. It's too simplistic to just say "Xbox is better at all this stuff".

[/color]

The best example would be XBOX official X-Box complete guide to 2003 magazine which compares the consoles software.

Well I don't know what to say it should be higher quality with the higher standard machinery to create games with. I'm not sure what is going to be the better console next year, but as I have all the four competing consoles, so I'm not really bothered. Microsoft itself is probably doing the worse out of all this, but Bill Gates has enough money I'm sure.

I'm just excited to see all the good games they bring out! :excited:

1.)[b]X-BOX[/b]- I found a little article on comparing the X-Box to PS2 one X-Box's site. It was not only making fun of the online play for PS2 but also making fun of the people who bought PS2. As a PS2 fan this angers me. Is it smart for X-Box to be bashing a system that is murdering them at sales? I don't like the X-Box for several reasons.

1. The clunky controller, I know they released a smaller one but it's still complicating. They have too many buttons, including those two smaller buttons above the X,B,A,Y or whatever they are called on the X-Box.

2.The articles and magazines they write, comparing them to other systems look like they have been written by a 11 year old.

3.The HUGENESS of the consol itself. I like Gamecubes light weight, easier to transport from one tv to another.

4.The games- while somegames like Splinter Cell have been good for the X-Box, they will soon be coming out for every other system. Basically right now Halo is the only exclusive game on the X-Box.

2.[b]Gamecube[/b]- I have been a fan of nintendo ever since I was a toddler. I would play Super Mario World all day trying to beat Bowser. Now as I play Gamecube I can't help to be bored. The games I've all played as a kid. Super Mario, Metroid, so on and so on. Gamecube has got to release some games that will appeal to a wider audiance if they want to stand a chance against PS2. I like the system but it's not going to get anywhere if it keeps remaking their older games.

3.[b]Playstation 2[/b]- My favorite system for many reason which I'll explain soon but lets get to the good stuff that they have done so far. They have made games that appeal to a wide audiance ranging from Britney's Dance Groove to GTA:VC. The controller a bit bland and boring but it is the most comfortable for me. The system itself is not too heavy and is easy to transport from tv to tv. Now lets get on to why I think it's the best system so far.

1. They have released many add-ons like surround sound options and stands.

2.They keep the design simple, they don't need flashy gimicks(sp?) on the consol to sell it.

3.Like I've said before the games range from kids to adults.

4. The graphics, everyone has to agree with me on this. The graphics from PS2 are damn good. with upcoming games like The Getaway(alreay released in Britain) is easy to see why it's dominating the war.

5. Most of the games have so much replay value it's not even funny. GTA:VC I could play for a damn long time and not get bored because it's fun finding new things and exploring the map.

Well, that's what I think of the system out so far, please feel free to correct me or comment on my points.

Yeah I agree PS2 is the best console it's been out longer and produced more games in that period of time which appeal most people, but I think when the other consoles get their act together and produce some more decent games it will soon change around. Most of PS2's good games will probably eventually go to X-Box anyway maybe even Vice City, so it's a swap for Splinter Cell. I know for sure it's getting Metal Gear Solid 2:substance.

You say you don't like X-Box taking a mockery out of PS2, because it's childish, but if you think about it N64 mags always used to do the same for the PSX by calling it greystation and stuff (I'm sure I saw a mag saying the PSpoo as well). X-Box does have right to do it too as they have software to show off and strut about even though PS2 is winning on the sales. Abilities are better, but most people at the moment are interested in the games (me too), so that's why I think most people are prefering to get a PS2 at the moment as it has such a wide selection of games to deliver.

Sorry to all you PS2 fans I want the other consoles to do better or at least equal the sales of PS2s. I think this 'war' would thrive with tension then and it will be no holds bar between the 3 companies. They will throw anythink to boost above the over consoles in the sales, so maybe cheaper deals or just more and more decent games hopefully :D.

The 'War' Continues into a new and exciting year for gamers ....

Guest Musahi
[color=darkred]Well, here we go. I am all rallied up. This is pretty much my breakdown on every system, since I have now played an X-box for long enough to judge it.

First Place

Playstation 2: This is the system I own and love. Sony is doing the best in sales now, and has pretty much ever since its release. It had good third party support, which someone already mentioned. Has allotted of fun, addicting, and great games. But it also has its share of completely HORRIBLE games. The exclusive games aren't as plentiful as I thought they would be, with Metal Gear heading to the X-box and Resident Evil on the GCN. I know the RE thing is old news but it's still shocking that RE would appear exclusively on the GCN. Besides RE online that is. Well the whole Console War has got me thinking, are we talking sales or which console is the best? If were talking sales we might as well just say Ps2 one, because they have the gaming market wrapped around their finger.

Second Place

Gameboy Advanced:I don't have much to say about this one except for it has great exclusive games and is the only handheld system worth playing. There is nothing I can really nitpick about here. Great system, great sales.

Third Place

Gamecube: Ok, a close friend of mine has one and I almost live at his house because of it. The best game for the system so far is Animal Crossing, he got it for Christmas and he has not yet played another game since. :-o I played it and I am fairly addicted. I run by his house every day for an hour or so to play it. That reminds me, anybody trade on Animal Crossing? The other games he has are Sonic Adventure Battle 2, (chao raising is awesome) Super Smash Bros. Melee, (still can't beat him) and Super Mario Sunshine (simply amazing). From what I have heard the X-box and the GCN have doing the same on sales.

Fourth Place

X-Box: Well, first off the thing is huge. My friend brought his over the other night and it wouldn't fit in my little game console holder thing. O_o;; He had the new 'S' controllers though and it was much better than the old ones bigger than my head. =) We played Jet Set Radio Future, which sucked the second time around. The first time I played it, I was in love. But it just got old fast. Than we played Sega GT2002, which I admit, is a nice racing game. The physics are a little off, but I still enjoyed it. I don't even like racing games and I played it for about 2 hours. So, that?s a good game for the X-box. Than we played THPS4, I have it on ps2 and it was nothing different. So it receives fourth place.

[/color]

[color=royalblue][size=1]Well here's my opinion on which console I like best.

Even though I grew up with Nintendo and I love all the old games on the SNES, I will prefer Sony. Why? Well because there is a big variety of games on the system and with the release of the PS2, you don't have to put aside all those old games. They play right there on the new system. Plus you can use the same control pads. That's pretty convient for me because accessories are pretty expensive, as well as games.[/color][/size]

Out of all of them, PS2 will make the most money. But, my favorite's probably GameCube, just because it has all the Nintendo exclusives, like Mario, Metroid and Zelda. I also own a PS2, but I really only bought it for Final Fantasy and Grand Theft Auto. I'm not really interested in XBOX, because (this isn't intended to be harsh) it doesn't really have any good games going for it. Sure, it has Halo, and a few other good titles, but they need to get better exclusives. I will probably buy XBOX,but not until it's down to $100

• 2 weeks later...
So now it's the new year, what console do you think is going to do best?

I hope it's more of an even contest, but that may not be the case. Anyway I can't wait till each console bring out their big guns (good games). I know Gamecube have loads of great games coming out this year, X-Box have a few, and even GBA has some wicked games waiting to be released, but what are the PS2's? I know Lara Croft has another game in her sequel- 'Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness', but I'm not really a big fan of this series. Is this a chance for the other consoles to catch up on the sales and the quality with more variety of games?

... I hope so :naughty: What's your opinion?

I doubt that any of the systems are gonna catch up in sales to the PS2. Even though that would be pretty cool, because then it would turn into another SNES vs. Genesis war, but this time with 4 systems. But with all the supporters of the PS2, it'll take a long while for the other systems to catch up. Also, with Everquest and FFXI coming to PS2, it's gonna be hard to top it's online plan

• 3 weeks later...
[color=purple]What do you think is going to be the biggest game(s) this year for each console?[/color]

Personally I think:

[b]Gamecube[/b]- Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

[b]PS2[/b]- GTA: Sin City if it's released this year, if not probably Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness

[b]X-Box[/b]- Halo 2

[b]GBA[/b]- Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past or Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire

[color=red]There are loads more games which I think will be big hits this year like Resident Evil 0, Metroid Prime, Final Fantasy releases, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Fable, etc. *Thinks of many more* Oh and bare with me I'm English and I know some of those games are already released in some places ... Lucky! V_V

What are your thoughts on the best games of 2003?[/color]

[size=1][color=darkblue] My thought pattern is very similar to yours Cajones.
[b]Gamecube[/b]-Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Resident Evil O

[b]PS2[/b]-Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness, I can't really think of many more. Possibly the PS2 release of Splinter Cell

[b]X-Box[/b]- Halo 2, MGS : Substance, Perfect Dark Zero, Possibly Dead To Rights.

I never read up on GBA articles, but I think the the GBA:SP will be a BIG hit![/color][/size]

Well here is my list of what i think for your question cajones and i will just agree with what you said for gamecube and gba as i dont have either of them and you seem to know a pretty good lot about games.

Gamecube- Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
GBA- Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past or Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire
PS2- Probably Gta Sin City, Maybe Tomb raider angel of darkness and i think maybe Splinter Cell.
Xbox- Halo 2, Mgs 2 substance and Dead to Rights or perhaps Ninja Gaiden.

Right now I own all the consoles
I find that my GC hasn't been used that much cept for the brieft time of playing PSO and MP.
And there aren't any games for the GC that are coming out that I am interested in, in the next few months or so.
My PS2 has been used the most w/my Xbox in a close second with Halo and Splinter Cell. Right now there aren't many games that just stick out that are must have's cept the new GTA, Madden, and SD game. So I will wait till after E3 to make my list.

[b]Gamecube:[/b] The GCN is going to have so many good games coming oout for it in 2003 it's hard to decide. Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is the obvious choice. Mainly because of the legion of Zelda fans behind it. But Animal Crossing 2 is coming out sometime in 2003 (in Japan) and the first is aamazingly addicting. Plus Pokemon and Stafox GCN titles are on the verge too. The game [b]I[/b] am most interested in is "Too Human", I have no clue what it's about but it's being developed by Silicon Knights so it must be good.

[b]Playstation 2:[/b] FF-X2 : Another Lord or the new GTA. Both are heavily anticipated and will sell really well.

[b]X-Box:[/b] Halo 2, it looks beautiful and Halo is a best selling game. No contest.

[b]GBA:[/b] Pokemon Ruby/Saphire, everyone and their mom are going to buy this game. You will too, there isn't anyway to deny it.

[color=purple]With the Gamecube I agree that all their big guns are being released this year, but over in England we haven't even recieved the first Animal Crossing yet which is disapointing. :( I'm not sure if it is coming out here I'm sure it is, maybe someone could classify that? I'm sure going to get Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Metroid Prime (when arrives in England), and Resident Evil 0. I'm not sure when Resident Evil 4 comes out but that too looks behond amazing in my point of view. Resident Evil is my favourite game on the GC, so I have high expectations in these games. Other interesting games I have seen that I may have to check out.[/color]

[color=blue]As for the PS2 I don't really want Tomb Raider: Angel Of Darkness and I'm not 100% sure whether FF-X2 : Another Lord and the new GTA will be released this year, but I hope that they are, because they will definetely be in my list! Also Splinter Cell will be great, but I've got that on X-Box.[/color]

[color=lightgreen]X-Box seems to be trying to catch up with the PS2 in the sales by releasing some big hits. Ones that come to mind that I will be looking to get are Halo 2 (should be more awesome than first), Ninja Gaiden (Fabulous graphics and I enjoy Ninjas :excited:), Fable (would be interested to see what an X-Box RPG can deliver), Perfect Dark 2 (I'm the biggest fan of the original), MGS2: Subtance (It's got to be longer than Sons Of Liberty right? Looks EXTRAordinary) also many more which are multi-formatted. :smirk: Oh yeah how could I forget about X-Box Live hmmm I will have to consider this (I don't even have broadband yet) *needs more info on it*... don't really get subscription fee.[/color]

[color=indigo]I'm not really into playing the GBA at the moment except when on holiday or away from house at times (I suppose I'm always online and don't play games unless mates around, because it's more enjoyable :toothie: ). When I get a chance to link the GBA to the Gamecube I will be alot happier. Games I'm looking to get are Pokemon Ruby and Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Hmmm maybe others actually when I go to San Diego to visit my Auntie in August ^_^;; WOW I just realised I will be able to get GBA games before my mates in England woohoo! :D[/color]

Some more of my views, I'm sure some of you will disagree with my opinions. Anyone got any other views? :demon:

[quote]With the Gamecube I agree that all their big guns are being released this year, but over in England we haven't even recieved the first Animal Crossing yet which is disapointing.[/quote]

[b][color=003399]Animal Crossing still hasn't been confirmed for the UK, because the creators are waiting to see how sales are doing in the US first.

In terms of Live!, the whole system concept has greatly disappointed me. The fact that the broadband platform hasn't been properly implemented in the UK really doesn't give Microsoft an easy job to push the product throughout the country.

The PS2 internet/Hard Drive add-ons are coming out over here before Live!, so I would expect the sales to drown out Microsoft's attempt

And as for Halo 2, we'll just have to wait until late 2003/early 2004 for that one.[/b][/color]