OtakuBoards

Why are there never any new 2D Mario games?

Sniglefager

Nintendo used to make such great 2D Mario games. I mean, I can't remember how many hours I spent playing Mario World and Mario Brothers 3. Sure remaking them on GBA helps soothe the pain, but I NEED just one new 2D Mario game. Think about it: A new 2D Mario game on GameCube. You know how awesome that would be? Even a new one on GBA would do fine, considering the power of that thing. I'm not saying that Nintendo doesn't make good 3D games, because I love Mario 64 and Sunshine, but come on Nintendo. One last time

[color=indigo]I feel exactly the same. I like the 2D Mario games (well, some of them), more than Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine. Super Mario World is my favorite in the series, and I'd love to see another 2D Mario game like Mario World.

Hopefully Nintendo will get around to making a new Mario game on the GBA after they remake SMB3. I doubt we'll see a 2D Mario game on the GCN, though. The GBA is plenty powerful enough for a good 2D Mario game.[/color]

I believe they have made a 2-D game for the N64. Paper Mario, I have never played it, but it's something i suppose!

I agree GBA games are definetely powerful enough, it's a great console they same amount of megabytes as the PS1, but I only seem to play it when I'm out or on holiday. 2-D Mario games are kool!

[color=indigo]Paper Mario was 3D, they just used really thin characters that looked like they're paper cut-outs. Hence the name Paper Mario.

Also, it isn't a "real" Mario game. It's more an RPG than a platformer. Sort of the unofficial sequel to Super Mario RPG, on the SNES.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
If they Put it on the gamecube and maxed the harware of the gc the game would be big. Because even if the character looked as good as the mario sunshine version (or ever better) It still save space by not having to do extra coding for a bigger engine. in fact it would a very small engine that it could be like at leas 20 hours long even looking the best it could.

[color=indigo]Now [i]that[/i] would be cool. A 2D Mario game on the GCN that lasts 20 hours just to play through... Man I hope they do something like that. I'm sure it would sell like crazy, too, seeing as how the Super Mario Advance games are doing so well. Heck, those are just ports, and this would be an original game![/color]