OtakuBoards

Zwan Appreciation Thread

Semjaza

I'm sure this thread will not get too many responses. This is a band I hear about nearly everyday though, and I'm sure at least some of you know or have heard the music already. If you watch a lot of MTV/MTV, I'm sure you've seen them though.

Zwan was formed by Billy Corgan (of The Smashing Pumpkins) in 2000. He was joined by Matt Sweeney (on guitar), David Pajo (also on guitar), Jimmy Chamberlin (on drums) and Paz Lenchantin (on bass). Some of these names shoud be very familiar, especially to fans as Chamberlin was the original Pumpkins drummer, and Paz is the bassist for A Perfect Circle. Corgan himself plays guitar and does the vocals, although others do sing at points.

If you know how The Smashing Pumpkins sound, then you basically know how this sounds... But where that was Corgan's band (which was a guitar band, even if the focus of a song was the bass or piano the guitar got the most play and started the song off), this is more of a team effort and things are much more mixed up.

The first single is called Honestly, which is a rather good song (I prefer some of the others personally). People can also vote for them on TRL at this point. There is a tour of sorts going, but the next few days are at Chicago's Metro only... With the following ones being in other countries. Might be a while til you can see them if you're interested.

So yeah, the CD is called "Mary Star of the Sea" and it comes out January 28th. There will be two versions, one with a bonus DVD (like it seems every band does now, but I'd guess it's limited to 100,000 copies like usual).

[IMG]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00007KJQ7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/IMG]

Here is an MP3 of Honestly, for those interested: [url]http://www.billy-corgan.net/MPEG/zwan-honestly-single.mp3[/url] (Right click and Save As... That's why it didn't work for Shinobi). I think Lyric is a much better song, and I'm sure you could find it online if you look... heh.

Edit: The below pic if of the band members, not hosting for the album cover.

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]Zwan's awesome! ^_^
I've always liked the 'Smashing Pumpkins', and most of the music that falls into that category.
It's too bad they broke up though... I really liked their music...

Anyway, Zwan's 'Lyric' has a great beat. I'm planning on getting their cd, actually. :whoops:[/color] [/size]

[color=darkblue]I heard "Honestly" on Mtv a few days ago, I didnt really like it all that much, but then again I wasnt a fan of Smashing Pumpkins, But having said that "Honestly" is quite a catchy song and its been stuck in my head since I heard it which is pretty annoying :( [/color]

Good song
I've heard it on a couple of radio stations here (australia) and I think it's an awesome song. I didn't know who it was by...how embarrassing. lol.
I might pick up the album...if I have money when it comes out. lol. I'm poor, how sad.
Happy mood
Yay
LUV from the one and only -=MuEsLeE=-

[font=gothic][color=crimson]For some reason, my father has been running around for two weeks trying to buy that album. No, it didn't come out in Australia earlier or anything, and yes, he was aware of that. Explanations would be welcomed...

I've seen one of their songs on Rage (the only decent free-to-air music show around in Australia to my knowledge), and heard the same one once or twice. However, I have yet to find out which one it is. I know I like it a lot though. Having just recently become a smashing pumpkins fans, I guess it hasn't wore off yet. We'll see how I like it in a month or so.[/font][/color]

YES!
thank you, semjaza. you are my deliverer. very few people have any taste here, and i must say that yours is some of the best. i didnt start this thread for fear of no responses but its good to see that somebody else did.

as with any of corgan's music, it friggin rocks the balls off an elephant! this man is a genius. think about how long he and his music have been in the public eye. every time he releases something, it gets huge. (i didnt think zwan would, but it seems to be blowing up pretty fast).

on the band-
1.corgan is a genius.
2.jimmy chamberlin was originally a jazz drummer. thats why he's a friggin awesome rock drummer.
3.paz is an excellent bassist. and she is with APC.
4.matt sweeney was with skunk and chavez before joining zwan. excellent musician.
5.david pajo was with slint and papa m. also an excellent musician.
at the moment, i dont recall which guitarist it was, but after hearing gish(SP first album 1991) he contacted billy corgan and told him that if the pumpkins split up, he would love to do a project with him. they did.

[QUOTE]It's too bad they broke up though... I really liked their music...[/QUOTE]
fear not. as ive told many people already, corgan split the pumpkins so he could re-form them. it will be the same band as the pumpkins, with the same members as the pumpkins. they are going to be called "glass and the machines of god". its all part of a multi-album story line in their albums that the pumpkins are living out. yay!

[QUOTE]For some reason, my father has been running around for two weeks trying to buy that album. No, it didn't come out in Australia earlier or anything, and yes, he was aware of that. Explanations would be welcomed...[/QUOTE]
he's a nut. (in a good way.) let him get it. its awesome.

i think there is (that kind of nut). i bought the new nirvana album. the day before it was released. keep in mind the bought part. im not like someone i know *cough*mybrother*cough* who had the new system of a down album 4 weeks before it was released (giving "steal this album"(album title) a whole new meaning.

Anyway...

The CD came out yesterday. Judging from the [i]enthusiastic[/i] response, I'd say at least one of you had to have bought it heh. If so, are there any impressions of it?

I myself haven't gotten it yet, due to some money problems... But soon enough.