Jump to content
OtakuBoards

bra's name as been changed


Recommended Posts

Guest QuickSilver
Posted
For some reason in the new dubbed versions, they have changed Bra's name to bulla. I have no idea why this has happed, its most probably because Funi thought that Bra was too offensive to the younger audience of the show.
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
I'm not too upset with Bra's name being changed. I mean, at one time, Bulma's name was Buruma. Tenshinhan's name was changed to T[b]i[/b]enshinhan. And don't even get me started on Krillin.

Changing it from Bra to Bula (I once heard it was gonna be Bura) can be passed off as a way of hearing/spelling it. Remember, L and R are practically the same letter and it's way too easy too throw a "u" in her name.
Guest GriffXL
Posted
oh man bulla??? thats such a crappy name.
Posted
[color=indigo][size=1]The name "Bula"/"Bulla" does not appall me much. "Bura" I do believe in the Japanese pronunciation of her name, and, if my memory serves me correct, some Japanese pronounce L's as R's. So it could very well just be that all-too-in-depth pronunciation of her name. Sure, they probably could just stick with "Bura", but it is FUNi. *shrugs*

Endymion, my reason for Tenshinhan's name being changed to Tienshinhan is just because it would sound a bit odd to call someone "Ten". It just sounds better in English to say "Tien". That is my belief as to why they did that.[/color][/size]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PiroMunkie [/i]
[B][color=indigo][size=1]The name "Bula"/"Bulla" does not appall me much. "Bura" I do believe in the Japanese pronunciation of her name, and, if my memory serves me correct, some Japanese pronounce L's as R's. So it could very well just be that all-too-in-depth pronunciation of her name. Sure, they probably could just stick with "Bura", but it is FUNi. *shrugs*[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Thats true. So its not much of a name change. The only difference they made is the spelling, but the sound is the exact same. But they may end up sayin it different then its supposed to be announced, knowin Funi. *shrugs*
Guest QuickSilver
Posted
Yeah i know it is not much of a bother but it depends on how its pronounced. If they changed it because its sounded like womens underwear then thats just stupid
Posted
[font=trebuchet ms][color=darkblue]This is VERY old news. I'm upset about the fact that there's no real reason to change it. What in the world are FUNimation / Cartoon Network trying to hide from kids? That girls are actually sanitary and need to wear bras so their breasts won't flop like expired lettuce?

Geez, the humanity...[/color][/font]
Guest QuickSilver
Posted
exactly why i am mad, because there is no reason why they should change it, they cant hide kids from the truth forever. its not like Bra is a cuss word either.
Posted
Actually, I don't even know if they can say "bra" on television (at least for children). [i]Pepper-Ann[/i] had an entire episode about Pepper-Ann buying her first bra, and they went the entire episode without saying "bra" once.
Guest The Bouncer
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GriffXL [/i]
[B]oh man bulla??? thats such a crappy name. [/B][/QUOTE]


You got that Right
Posted
[color=darkblue]Well, I always thought the name Bra SUCKED BALLS. If it were real, Vegeta would've died of shame. Or killed Bulma so he could name her himself.

You can get away with Trunks as a name or Bulma Briefs but naming Vegeta's daughter Bra just went way too far. God! And to think she's technically a princess!

"All Hail Princess Bra!"

I'm sorry. No.[/color]
Guest The Bouncer
Posted
But Bra is better than all of the other name thats being given to her
Posted
I heard about this a while ago, but I had forgotten the name that they had changed to.

Hmm, well, to be honest I really preffered the name Bra. It comes off easier than Bulla, which will deffinitly take some getting used to. Plus, it will anger a lot of subbed fans when more learn this -- remember Mr. Satan to Hercule? FUNI seems to not care what sort of puns these names have within their families, and they are going to just edit it for a younger audience. *sigh* Nothing we can do about it now, but for the record, I wish they had stuck with Bra. >_<
Posted
Satan-Hercule and Bra-Bulla are completely different name changes. Bra's name change is a lot closer to the difference between Kuririn and Krillin. I don't find too much wrong with it, although I can understand how it can upset a lot of fansub watchers/makers.

I would've prefered Bura, though. I'm with LM that "Bra" is a funny name to give a princess.

And let's not forget all the little boys who giggle like school-girls whenever they hear the word "bra." Imagine how much dialogue they'd miss whenever someone mentions Vegeta's daughter because they were too busy laughing.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Endymion [/i]
[B]Satan-Hercule and Bra-Bulla are completely different name changes. Bra's name change is a lot closer to the difference between Kuririn and Krillin.[/B][/QUOTE]
Well, yes and no. Maybe not to the same extreme, but they're both name changes, and it's sure to make a lot of people angry who are used to the original.
Posted
Actually I went on a different site and it said Bulla so i beleved it then i went on loads ov diferent sites and it said Bra so i thought the 1st site had made a mistake so the 1st site was rite!!!!!!!!!!
Guest RedXIII_Matt
Posted
i really would have picked bra over anything else.....WTH is up with bulla......i mean brotty's name was changed to brolli......(or the other way around) but not such a big change....bra isn't offensive.....what about trunks....i wear em'(lol)so why can't they say bra....only cuz females wear em?!?!?!?!
Guest RedXIII_Matt
Posted
download it.....MAAAANNN!!!! it's the ***. version with his dad....his dad takes vegeta(and everyone else....of coarse)to the new planet vegeta......there he meets brolli(brotty in that movie)and since brolli hates goku(kakarot)for crying all the time as a baby.....so of coarse they fight and brolli somehow loses......everyone gives their energy to goku and brolli then gets his arse kicked.....lol, but yea....his name was brotty....so sayz the subtitles ^_^

SO THERE..... mwahahahahahahahahahahahaha....*coughs*.....ok then...


[color=indigo][b]Please refrain from double posting in the future. Thanks. - PM[/b][/color]
Posted
I think you download a fansub... a bad fansub. Your average fansub and fan website (and nearly everyone else) usually call him Broli/Brolli/Brolly, not Brotty. That, or your subs are just blurry and you see "t" instead of "l".
Posted
[color=ff00cc] [size=1]Keke ^_^

Bulla is a clay ball where the Mesopotamians put coins in. ^-^;

(I'm such a dork >>; )

Umm... I really don't like either of the names. 'Bra' sounds super funny when you say it, and 'Bulla' sounds...gross. oO; It reminds me of clay balls. ^^;[/color] [/size]
Posted
[color=red]Bulla....oy...

As for changing from Bra, they probably figured they didn't want kids running around talking about the bra on Dragon Ball, for fear the kiddies parents wouldn't let them watch it. It all goes back to the money and the ratings.

--Chris[/color]
Guest Cute_eyes
Posted
question why do boys like that name bra
lol
it's odd but i don't understand the reason ur sooo upset
there really is no reason to be mad bout that
i mean if u were a gurl i don't know wot u would do because it's odd
lol
so don't get me satrted over here plz
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cute_eyes [/i]
[B]question why do boys like that name bra
lol
it's odd but i don't understand the reason ur sooo upset
there really is no reason to be mad bout that
i mean if u were a gurl i don't know wot u would do because it's odd
lol
so don't get me satrted over here plz [/B][/QUOTE]


We're upset because censorship sucks ***.
Guest Cute_eyes
Posted
heheheheehhehehe u think
well i still got 3 years to go i think
lol
well good luck but why is it with the name exactly

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...