OtakuBoards

Hyper

This is probably just me, but I've noticed something that really bothers me. People on these boards are using other people's custom avatars.
Now I know, that if you did not make your avatar it shouldn't matter too much. But if people are taking avatars directly from you, without getting it rom the exact source, it really is bothersome.
It also is really iritating when your personalized (your name on it) avatar is taken.
I've seen that happen twice (by the same person).

Now this is kind of a silly request, but do you think you could maybe prevent people from using other people's customer avatars?
(I mean: Someone sees mine; they get the URL and use it as theirs. NOT: They go to a website, and find a custom avatar. It just happens to be the same as yours. But still..)

Guest Anakin Solo
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by HyperShadow [/i]
[B]I could customize it with text like Solo did, but my avatar wouldn't look good with text (no room), nor would the animation work. [/B][/QUOTE]

Who, me? I the Solo you talking about? ^_^;;

I agree with Sara, the best thing would probably ask the person using it, not to use it.

No, I mean [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=3161]Solo Tremaine[/url].
Although, you customized yours with text to. But I have seen people take avatars with custom text on them. Even when the person's name was on it, the "theft" would use it anyways.

Well, as annoying as it might be, it can often be resolved by PMing them, as Sara suggested. If it's something that means a lot to you I'm sure they'll understand.

Although really, avatars should be taken from the list of ones available in the User Control panel. Or, if you want to use one that someone else has, the thing to do is to ask them first. And if they say no, then ask someone for one in the Banner/Avatar request forum.

[color=003399]You should post in the Banner/Avie forum and get somone to fix the animation. Just get a small "HS" for HyperShadow in the bottom corner, then it can't be stolen, or then you can PM them saying "it's my personal avie, see the HS" or something.... i dunno ^^;;[/color]

the problem isnt limited to just avatar theft. ive had a banner (one i made) stolen right out of my sig. of course the problem was later resolved, but it still happened.

i dont think there's much you can do about it without discontinuing custom avatars. just be flattered that somebody liked it enough to steal it, i guess. :)

It is flattering in a way, yes, but it's still rather disrespectful to take it without asking; or it can at least be taken that way.

It's just common courtesy to ask if you see something that interests you, especially with something like banners which are all highly personalised already.

[b][color=515050][size=1]If there was a feature that disabled, say two people using the same avatar (that wasn't in OB's avatar database), people taking them from websites would get blocked, simply because someone else is using the same avatar.

As a lot of people said here, the best way is to PM the member and ask them to stop using it, or at least ask for permission.[/b][/color][/size]

I've noticed this as well. The member known as iggy has a Seto Kaiba avatar and now someone else has taken his own personaly avatar, and the avatar has his name on it right there i mean duh! How stupid are some people? I mean taking someone else's avatar when their name is on it? Yeesh!

[color=teal]What particularly burns me (didn't happen on these boards) is when a person HAND-CREATES a picture, scans it, then shrinks it to an avatar, THEN some jackass copies it, saves it, and uses it as his own, passing it off as "I got it off of a URL". Especially when the picture in question is a symbol of pain, suffering, and tears from a person's past.....that just pisses me off.[/color]

[font=gothic][color=crimson]Oh for Christ's sake. It's a small, 80 by 80 pixel, at the most, picture, that occupies about 5% of your screen, at the most. Probably a lot less. Why, exactly, do you give a damn? If someone wants to go and make themselves look like a lazy wackjob, then go ahead. I mean, it's not like they'd be giving anyone false impressions of themselves or anything.[/font][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Harlequin [/i]
[B][font=gothic][color=crimson]Oh for Christ's sake. It's a small, 80 by 80 pixel, at the most, picture, that occupies about 5% of your screen, at the most. Probably a lot less. Why, exactly, do you give a damn? If someone wants to go and make themselves look like a lazy wackjob, then go ahead. I mean, it's not like they'd be giving anyone false impressions of themselves or anything.[/font][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Not only that, but I would LOVE to see someone even TRY and use my avatar...^-^

But yeah. It's a picture. Get over it. It's not going to kill you. And also, unless you handdrew/created it, it's not really 'yours'.

PS: John, you're too ****ing melodramatic.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Medra [/i]
[B]Not only that, but I would LOVE to see someone even TRY and use my avatar...^-^
[/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1] [color=blue] *saves small nuclear explosion for use when medra has disused and forgotten about it. ~_^*

Seriously, I have [i]never[/i] come across a stolen avatar on these boards, at least not one from these boards specifically.

If people syeal their avatars from other people, they come across as stupid, idiotic and downright foolish anyway, i'd just sit back and laugh at someone who DARED take my jumbo jet lol.

Avatar stealing? why not ask someone to [i]make[/i] one for you. :rolleyes:[/size][/color]

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]I don't think it would be too much ova big deal...

It would be disrespectful to the person who made it, even though it would be nice to know others like your avi so much, they would want to use it too. ^_^

If someone takes it, then pm them about it, and offer to make them an avi similar to yours if they like it. ^_^[/color] [/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by S@bretooth [/i]
[B][size=1] [color=blue] *saves small nuclear explosion for use when medra has disused and forgotten about it. ~_^*
[/size][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Heh. I doubt I'll ever get rid of this avatar. But Hell. Try and use this thing as your avatar. Unless James changed some stuff around, you won't be able to. ;)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Medra [/i]
[B]But Hell. Try and use this thing as your avatar.[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red][b]Ok. :D I'll change it after you see it. I liked my old avatar. bucky4life! :D [/b][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Matt [/i]
[B][color=red][b]Ok. :D I'll change it after you see it. I liked my old avatar. bucky4life! :D [/b][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you for helping me prove my point; I wouldn't care if you kept it. I'm not that trivial.

[color=red][b]But you said I wouldn't be able to use it. And unless I am mistaken, I am useing it. Unless I missed your point entirely, I think I proved it wrong.[/b][/color]

It was just that back in version whatever when I first started using it, it was like 1/4 a Kb too big and I asked James to put it up for me in the Control Panel. But obviously with the new server changes, he was able to up the amount of Kbs you could have for an avatar. But my main point was that I wouldn't care if someone else used the avatar I was using. My other side of the issue was that if you get your knickers in a bunch over something "stealing your avatar", then you really need to get out more often.

yeah, I agree. I don't think stealing avatars and banners is a big deal... I mean, if you're going to steal something, credit would be nice, but it doesn't really matter. It IS flattering if someone is using something you made. Gives you that warm feeling inside that you're not the only one who likes your work. lol. You should lighten up about it, but if it really buhs you that much, yeah, PM them or something and yell at them about it. O.o;