OtakuBoards

'Hurt' by....

LostProphet

Johnny Cash did a cover of Nine Inch Nails. It's called 'Hurt' if you've yet to hear it. I'm actually surprised at how it sounds, and I like it. The Old Crooner does a pretty good job, in my eyes, of covering this song. The video is pretty good too, it covers his life in pictures while he sings. Anyone else heard this song?

the idea was proposed to cash by (producer) rick rubin. cash didnt hear the song and say "hey, trent's a pretty good guy. i like his stuff. i think i'll cover his song." :p rubin cleaned up the song lyrically because of cash's super-christianity deal and let him read it. cash liked it and the rest, as they say, is history.

yeah, several months ago i heard it. i havent seen much of it around since then, but it was pretty good.

I heared it a couple of months ago early on a sunday morning and I almost wet myself. The song in its origional form is spectacular, and when Cash does it is more like another song. The NIN and Cash versions of the song are almost polar oppisits to each other in my mind.

This made the rounds on VH1 and all those about a month ago, which is when I heard it, much like Ryan said (treton_noir is getting bothersome to type out lol)... I downloaded the video of some site, and watched it a couple times.

I'm a huge NIN fan... I don't know how many current fans there are of Trent and all them, as I never see many talk about them here. Hurt isn't one of my favorite NIN tracks (I tend to not be as big into the singles for some reason), but it's damn good.

Cash's cover was surprising in a few ways. No one relates an old country singer and NIN at all... And after hearing and seeing the video, I realized that it hardly even came across as the same song... which is rare for covers - especially ones that were barely changed musically.

They both deal with similiar emotions, but Cash and Trent are in totally different places in their lives and they don't seem to come from the same feelings (especially Trent, since Hurt is almost 10 years old now)... I thought showing his past happiness and his old photos was incredibly effective. It was almost like a living obituary.

However, this isn't some song I could see myself just listening to by itself like the original. It needs the video in my opinion.

Makes me want new NIN even more so. I'm so tired of these waits between CDs... At least Still and AATCHB came out recently.