Dragonballzman Posted April 16, 2003 Posted April 16, 2003 Just a few hours ago, I watched a movie called The Shawshank Redemption, and I have to say, it's one of the best movies I've seen for a while. It's pretty old, 1994 to be exact (well, not [B]old[/B] old but still sorta old), so I'm guessing not many of you know/remember it. It was Nominated for seven Academy Awards, including Best Film and Best Actor, and in my opinion it deserved them. The back of the box for the DVD says: "City Banker, Adam Dufresne (Tim Robbins) arrived at Shawshank Prison in 1947, convicted of two brutal murders, he recieved a double life sentence. He discovers that when they send you to Shawshank State Prison for life... that is exactly what they take. Within the confines of Shawshank, Andy forms an unlikely friendship with the prison "fixer" Red (Morgan Freeman). He also becomes popular with the warden and the prison's guards, as Andy is able to use his banking experience to help the corrupt officials amass personal fortunes. With an extraordinary twist in the tale, Andy finds that survival comes down to a simple choice, get busy living or get busy dying." I'm not gonna post any more on the plot, because spoilers are bad, m'kay? I'd like to hear what everyone else's thoughts on this movie are, because I know that some people hate movies like this. Especially since it's pretty long (2hrs 20mins). I'm guessing that if I tried to show it to my friends, they'd yawn half an hour through it and tell me to turn it off. If you haven't seen it yet, it's worth looking for, you could try renting it to see if you like it. If you have seen it, please post your opinions on it here. ^_^ (now, how many times did I say the same thing just in different words in that post? XD XD XD)
amibasuki Posted April 16, 2003 Posted April 16, 2003 [FONT=arial]I think it's a great movie. some of the things that happened in the jail were horrible though. just thinking about how stuff like that happened/happens (?) there gives me the shivers.[/FONT]
Manic Webb Posted April 16, 2003 Posted April 16, 2003 I love this movie. It's interesting to watch the main character's personality throughout the movie. I especially like the ending. *coughsurprisetwistendingcough*
The Harlequin Posted April 16, 2003 Posted April 16, 2003 [font=gothic][color=crimson]I liked the movie, from the weird way I saw. I ended up watching the first half hour, then the ending, the the middle bit near the end, then the middle bit near the beginning, if that makes any sense. It didn't to me...[/font][/color]
TheShinje Posted April 16, 2003 Posted April 16, 2003 [size=1][color=darkblue] I have watched this movie oh so many times :D It is certainly one of my fil mnfavorites, right up there with the Matrix and The Green Mile. I especially liked the way the characters grew, sort of, it gave a bit of depth to a good movie, it was brilliant. It certainly deserved to win all it was nominated for, btwm who was nominated for best actor? Tim Robbins or Morgan Freeman? [/size][/color]
JCBaggee Posted April 16, 2003 Posted April 16, 2003 [color=red][size=1][font=arial]Awesome movie. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman work great together, and the work to preserve the feel of the film's time is remarkable. A great plot with a wonderful cast. --Chris[/color][/size][/font]
Wintermute Posted April 20, 2003 Posted April 20, 2003 It's a very powerful film. I loved it. However, if there's anyone reading this who hasn't seen the film, either watch it on video, or get someone else to start the DVD for you while your eyes are closed. The menu on the DVD I have is against a background of clips. At least one of these clips is a SERIOUS spoiler. I hadn't seen the film yet when I saw that, so it made me absolutely furious!
Heaven's Cloud Posted April 20, 2003 Posted April 20, 2003 [color=indigo]If you liked the movie then you should definatly check out the story it was based on by Stephen King. The Shawshank Repemption is part of a collection of short stories that appear in "Different Seasons". Three of the stories in this collection, The Shawshank Redemption, The Body, and Apt Pupil, have all been made into major motion pictures (the Body is called "Stand by Me"...and yes, Jerry O'Connel is the fat kid). The fourth story in the collection, The Breathing Method, is also a good read.[/color]
Dragonballzman Posted April 20, 2003 Author Posted April 20, 2003 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Wintermute [/i] [B]It's a very powerful film. I loved it. However, if there's anyone reading this who hasn't seen the film, either watch it on video, or get someone else to start the DVD for you while your eyes are closed. The menu on the DVD I have is against a background of clips. At least one of these clips is a SERIOUS spoiler. I hadn't seen the film yet when I saw that, so it made me absolutely furious! [/B][/QUOTE] You mean the bit where he's [SPOILER]crawling out of that pipe and waving his arms in the air? Yeah, that pissed me off too. The movie hadn't even started yet and they were already showing you his escape. >_<[/SPOILER]
Shinobi Posted April 20, 2003 Posted April 20, 2003 I do believe this film is a classic. My friend actually thinks it's the best film EVER! I do like it indeed, it may be a little bit old...but that doesn't mean it's gonna be crap..;).
Nate Posted April 29, 2003 Posted April 29, 2003 I've seen it..i love it..and we (my family) have seen it so many times we know half of it by heart. And, so you know, it comes on TnT every once in a while, if you haven't seen it. It is long, buti t's worth it. It is simply awesome!
nezzyjean Posted May 2, 2003 Posted May 2, 2003 I've seen part of that movie. My dad was obsessed with it a few years ago, so he watched it all the time. How ever I never got to watch the whole thing, b/c I was a little kid when it came out.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now