OtakuBoards

Coloring problem?

ARTommy

Prismacolor markers are more than enough to get something as good as what Photoshop would provide... you just have to do the details.

The problem with the coloring is that it is too flat. I'd have to guess that if you have Prismacolors, you'd have access to a blender marker. I don't know if you used one in this, but it doesn't look like it. That can add some excellent gradients to this image and really bring it out, if you spend some time.

Highlights and such, I'd just use a white colored pencil. Add some of those to the areas where light is coming directly down on the Gundam. Just thin lines mostly. It could add a lot to this.

As for the shadows, the pencil shadow works (maybe it's pen?). You might want to try smudging it a bit though, so it looks a bit more uniform and less sketchy. Otherwise, grab a low percentage gray (maybe 10%)and lightly go over the color to darken it up a bit. You have to be rather careful with that though, as I personally have problems with that making things too dark.

You might want to work on how you apply it too, because with markers of that quality... there's no reason to be having those overlapping marker line problems.

Anyway, I do like the image and I think the coloring itself is well done. If you already know some of this, I'm not trying to sound like lecture-y or anything. Just some pointers I guess, since I also use these markers heh.

I would get Pantones (or even those nice Japanese markers, forget the name)... but I don't want to pay $50 for a dozen.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B](or even those nice Japanese markers, forget the name)... but I don't want to pay $50 for a dozen. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]Copic? Those are really popular in Japantown. I actually bought twelve of them sparately, and each one cost five dollars. But they look really nice once you figure out how to use them. I'm still having a hard time using it, since the color sinks in so fast.

I think that looks good the way it is. It looks like one of those pictures that look better being hand colored.

9/10.[/color] [/size]