OtakuBoards

Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Semjaza

Guest Crimson Spider
Played the game myself. Way too short and chaotic IMO. The better racer isn't the one that wins. The luckiest one wins. I'm not a big fan of a racing game that's all up to luck.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[color=indigo]That's only what it seems like at first, when you still rely mainly on items. Once you get better, though, you come to rely less and less on items so that's it's not nearly as random. The only track where the randomness doesn't dramatically decrease is Baby Park, since the laps are so short and there are so many items flying around at all times. I almost never have a problem getting 1st in any of the other races on 150cc anymore, however.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crimson Spider [/i]
[B]Played the game myself. Way too short and chaotic IMO. The better racer isn't the one that wins. The luckiest one wins. I'm not a big fan of a racing game that's all up to luck. [/B][/QUOTE]

Luck, pishposh. Luck plays but a small part of the game when you're experienced at Double Dash.

When you've become competent at DD, the only two uber-dangerous items are the Lightning Bolt and Spiny Shell. Everything else can be avoided rather easily, and often by technical driving, as Des has referred to.

Did you know that Red Shells pose no problem when you cut an angle on a corner really quickly, and the Red Shell doesn't make the turn? The Red Shell slams into the barrier that you are now on the other side of, very safe indeed.

Bananas are usually very easy to avoid, provided someone hasn't laid 5 of them in a row.

Green Shells, bah. Straight line of fire.

Star. Bah. I've avoided Starred-up players simply by Powersliding (technical driving), and this dodging has happened in numerous stages, Rainbow Road included. Rainbow Road has some of the most narrow turns in the game, too, IMO.

And the character specials are often just huge versions of the usual ones, so Specials aren't a problem to avoid; you just have to allow more room around them.

Now, Spiny Shells and Lightning Bolts.

Lightning Bolts aren't a problem, as the 1st place driver usually never gets them. I've found that 4th through 7th usually gets them the most. So, if a Lightning Bolt hits you, chances are you're in the top 3 or dead last. Top 3, you shouldn't worry, because the other 2 are hit, as well. And if you're dead last, well...you just suck at the game generally.

Spiny Shells target 1st place. If you're being targeted, slam on the brakes and start backing up. Usually, 2nd place will zip on past you, taking the lead, subsequently getting slammed by the Spiny Shell that up until 3 seconds ago, was coming after you. See? Technical driving.

Battle Mode. Know the levels, know the level tricks, know the short-cuts, and you can always get the drop on your opponent or get away quickly should they target you.

So, really, when you know how to play DD effectively, items become a supplement. They augment your performance.

I was recently driving co-op with RPCrazy in Waluigi Stadium. It was Lap 3, we were in 2nd place, and hitting the final turns before the Finish Line. Keep in mind, too, that we had just gotten hit by a Lightning Bolt as we came out of the Pirahna Plant/Fireball gauntlet. So, here we are, in 2nd place, no items, and tiny. 1st place was a few meters ahead of us; we could see them just starting to turn.

Know what we did? We did some technical driving, managed to pick up two Green Shells from one of the dual item boxes and I got us in the lead again with some good ole fashioned Powersliding and corner cutting. We boosted over the ramp, landed, and sent those two Green Shells behind us, slamming them both into the 2nd place Kart.

See? Not luck...not replacing the driving...[i]augmenting[/i] the driving.

[img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=533421[/img]

The red dot is an approximate location of where we were.

[color=#006699]I?ve had Double Dash!! for around 20 hours now, and I love it. ^_^

So far I?ve completed the 50cc and 100cc modes, and Mushroom Cup in 150cc. The first thing I should say is that, right now it seems like it?ll be short. Once I?m done with 150cc all that?ll be left is Mirror Mode, correct? And even then, Mirror Mode won?t be much of a new experience. But I suppose once I?m done Time Trial could hold my interest for a while. That?s why I?ve decided to purchase a [b]Gamecube Broadband Adapter[/b] and compete with the program that Desbreko has linked to. They?re pretty rare so I?ll probably be ordering it online.

The tracks are simply [i]amazing[/i]. I wouldn?t call them innovative or anything. But they are extremely well put together and a blast to race on. My favorite track is either [b]Yoshi?s Circuit[/b] or [b]Mushroom City[/b]. Yoshi?s Circuit simply because I?ve been practicing a lot on Time Trial. Mushroom City is just beautiful. Everything works perfectly in that level. Also, I?m [i]really[/i] good at it.

Multiplayer is pretty good so far. I?ve only played my Brother in the Battle Mode. We only played for an hour or so, but it was fun.

I?ll edit this later when I?ve played a bit more.
[/color]

I've played through a bit more of Double Dash!!

The difficulty intensifies a lot from the transition from 50 to 150cc. Hell, it intensifies a lot from the transition from [i]100[/i] to 150cc. I've been having a pretty difficult time with good 'ole 150cc, heh. I've managed to finally snag a gold in the mushroom cup and I've got bronze in Flower Cup. Obviously, I have some more work to do, heh. But all this will be worth because I'll unlock a bevy of awesome racers and levels to race in. Joy!

The verdict on Double Dash!!: Still awesome, and I suck at 150cc. lol

[size=1]Who's your favorite character on Mario Kart? I'm personally attached to Toad...that little guy is wicked fast! Next to that, I'd have to say one of the heavy wieghts...Bowser, Wario, and Donkey Kong...It's funny when they start out and as they go, they knock everyone to the side:laugh:...of course, it's not all that funny when it happens to you...kerr...:therock:
I heard Mario and Luigi have the best steering but I think it depends on what you're driving on...sand, dirt, road...
What are your thoughts on these characters?[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desbreko [/i]
[B][color=indigo]I've decided I'm going to get a GCN broadband adapter with some of the money I get for Christmas so I'll be able to play Double Dash online with people.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

About that...does it cost anything to play MK: DD online? i havent kept up with gamecube news very much --;

Anyway, yes, DD is a fricken sweet game. Ive gotten gold on the mushroom, flower, star, and special cup in both 50 and 100cc. Im actually having trouble with the 150cc on all the tracks.

O yeah, just like the specials thing: Do some racers get certain items more than others? I was playing as toad a while ago, and every item i got in the Baby Park was a mushroom. Wierder yet, i was playing with both koopas in Bowser's Castle, and all i got were green and red shells, and once in a while, their specials. And the Kongs! I seem to get their banana's and their specials more than anyone(and i still seem to get 3rd place with them XD).

Besides that, i say that both MK 64 and DD are equally great. I say the best stages are the Wario and waluigi...places. But the scenery in all the stages are beautiful.

And then there's the battle mode. Although it wasnt as good as the 64 version. It bonded my nephew and I(Who are the bitterest of enemies might i add) for we both love chaos. Even though I haven't gotten the other to battle arenas the four i have are just fine :)

And yep, everything i said was prolly mentioned before, but a reminder is always good.

[color=indigo]Well, considering that you're not actually supposed to be able to play online, and the people that made the program that lets you aren't charging for it, no, it doesn't cost anything to play Double Dash online. All you need is a broadband adapter, a network cable, and a PC with Warp Pipe installed on it and you're good to go.

And speaking of getting a broadband adapter, I may not be getting one after all. At least not for a while. People just got me PC parts instead of money to get them myself, so I ended up with practically no money left after Christmas.[/color]