OtakuBoards

Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Semjaza

In addition to Rogue Squadron 3 being shown this week, there's also this... The GC version of Mario Kart.

[center][img]http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/mario_kart_logo.jpg[/img][/center]

Each kart has 2 characters riding on it, and you get to pick 2 from a total of 16 characters in any combination you wish. The second character rides in the back and uses the items. They are:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Yoshi
Birdo
Wario
Waluigi
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Paratroopa

The point of this is mostly in weapons usage, and there are 6 normal weapons and 8 special ones that only can be used by certain characters... So you might have to switch who is driving and who is using items during a race.

LAN play is still rumored, and Nintendo hasn't fully commented on it yet... There is of course multiplayer though.

Judging from some screens, the tracks seem to be focused on certain games. The SMS one is obvious... so who knows. The carts are also geared towards each character, which is a nice touch.

Once again, Nintendo seems to take rather bad captures of their games... but it still looks good. It seems to have some of the same blurry areas in shots that SMS had (which was odd, because Mario's eyes never looked as bad in the game as shots made it seem). Still, great draw distance, lots of karts on screen and its supposedly locked at 60 FPS.

[IMG]http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/mario_030423_bg5.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/mario_030423_bg4.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/mario_030423_bg3.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/mario_030423_bg2.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/mario_030423_bg1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://www.nintendo.com/e32k3/img/mariokartdd_screens_02.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.nintendo.com/e32k3/img/mariokartdd_screens_03.jpg[/IMG]

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The game looks great so far. I always liked the Mario Kart series, so I'm looking forward to this one quite a bit. I like the new twist they took with it. Having two people in a cart may seem unnecessary and chaotic, but they are incoperating some cool stuff with it instead of just throwing in a second person for no reason. The tracks look pretty neat so far, and there are even SMS levels!

The graphics do look a bit jaggy, but like you said, SMS looked really jaggy and incomplete when we first saw it. Hopefully they will work on the look and make it look more polished.

So it looks great so far. I hope E3 reveals a lot about it. A playable demo would also be great so we can read some Hands-On impressions.

Guest Crimson Spider
Is this game made in japan yet. Wait, e-3 preview, it's not made...

I hope that in this one, they have a basic track design thing were you make your own track. Then you can show it to your freinds, put a whole bunch of twists and traps on there, and make them race on it.

Now I'm thinking about what kind of hexing items will be made is this one. The fake Item block was diobolical enough when used by human players. The Lightings effect, though still curved from the old days, is still just way too powerful. The blue shell was a good idea that was often copied in other games. Something that they didn't keep from snes to 64 was the shrinking mushroom that toadstool (not yet peach) and toad threw out. Bring those back!

[color=#808080]The only reservation I have about this is that it's being developed by NST. I don't think NST has really proven itself as a highly capable developer yet.

But we'll see. MK:DD could be a fantastic game (and better than MK64 -- which isn't hard to achieve).

Visuals do look crummy right now, but bear in mind two things. First, the game is unfinished. Second, as has been said, SMS looked pretty horrible in most of Nintendo's own shots. But the game ended up looking a whole lot smoother than people gave it credit for.

Plus, Mario Kart is the type of game where everything moves rapidly and there is lots of animation -- so that plays a major role in determining how good the game looks (particularly if you have a screen full of characters/karts/weapons/etc)[/color]

[size=1]This news isn't very exciting to me. I loved Mario Kart 64, and the original, but I don't see anything new or original from this incarnation. Does it matter which character is in the back throwing items?

The large number of characters is a good thing. Does this mean that we can expect to see Diddy Kong in GC versions of Mario Golf and Mario Tennis? I hate the character, but I thought that Rare owned the rights to any original characters crerated in their Donkey Kong games. Oh well, I must be wrong.

Speaking of Rare, these screen shots remind me of Diddy Kong Racing, in terms of the graphic style. These seem to be very straightforward tracks, judging from these screen shots. I hope the tracks end up having a lot of shortcuts and interesting twists, such as the many multiple paths in the Yoshi level from MK64. Right now it just looks kind of generic.

-Shy[/size]

There's not much to judge in any of these shots really. There are maybe two tracks shown in them, one of which is obviously SMS based. I wouldn't get too worked up over it as of yet. NST still isn't totally confirmed, but I'd have to guess they are the ones doing it anyway.

Like I said in my post... There are 6 normal items that everyone can use, and 8 special items that only certain characters can use. So that's one reason to switch around, it adds more of a strategy element.

However, the car is also affected by who is actually driving it as well.

And Mario Kart is more or less done at this point from my understanding. I don't expect much of a visual difference in the finished product at all. However, like I said earlier... Nintendo takes horrible shots. They've managed to make even Metroid Prime look horrible in pictures.

Edit: And where the hell is TOAD?!?!

Who cares about Toad? KOOPA IS BACK! That alone is worth a purchase. I also thought that LAN was confirmed (I only read that on Gamefaqs, so take it with 1/2 grain of salt).
I'm really interested in the "Double Dash" concept, and hope that it will lead to hours of playing multiplayer.

Graphic-wise, I'm not the least bit impressed at the textures. The modeling is excellent, and some better textures (at least in the faces) are possible without a hit on the Frame Rate.

E3 can't come soon enough...

Yeah, Famitsu confirmed LAN apparently. That wasn't translated until after I wrote this up though.

As for the faces... go look at the pictures of SMS. Many showed Mario with eyes as blurry and messed up as in these pictures. When I got the game and saw videos, they never looked remotely that bad. I'm guessing this is the same case.

I got a question, for the two-man kart, is it a preset two people who drive who you can pick whatever two people you want? I thought it was a preset pair of people. But look at Luigi who's driving Peach's car. So I need someone to clarify this for me.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]There's not much to judge in any of these shots really. There are maybe two tracks shown in them, one of which is obviously SMS based. I wouldn't get too worked up over it as of yet.[/B][/QUOTE]
Looks more like four to me; a Super Mario Sunshine track, what looks like a default track, a city track at night, and what could be a Donkey Kong themed track, or just another SMS screen. lol

In any case, I can't say that I'm a huge fan of the series (I skipped over the 64 version entirely) but I'm still excited to see what sort of new features will come with the GC version. Well, I can tell you that choosing two characters was the last thing I would have guessed they'd add, haha. I honestly don't like the idea very much, but it will open a much wider veriety to gameplay. The kart designs arn't that impressive to me, either, and it's hard to imagine most of these actually working in real life, even though that's obviously no the point of them at all, I'm just saying.

LAN play is a very intrquiging aspect of this game that just might push me into buying it, as long as a 56k modem won't be [i]too[/i] slow. I'd love to be able to play with people I don't even know. It would improve my skill and also force me to try different varieties with the two-player-per-kart feature.

LAN play isn't online play.

You'd hook directly into another modem, which would basically require you to own the Broadband Adapter. It's like system link. You need two TVs and two GCs.

Edit: I should add, this is something that Xbox was doing from the start with stuff like Halo.

People managed to figure out a tunneling process... Meaning they could hook the Xbox up to their computer and make it think it's playing LAN, when it was really playing online. Gamespy did this, as well as XBConnect.

I see no reason why GC couldn't, unless they want to use some weird protocols. Gamespy already has online middleware done for GC, so they might be able to do it pretty easily even.

So I'm hoping... Would be great.

Oh man, I'm a little disappointed, to be honest.

I was hoping that the game would have adopted a cel shaded look. It would have been much more attractive and fitting for this sort of title. Imagine lush backgrounds and smooth animation reminiscent of Zelda's. A presentation of that caliber would have rocked.

The signature vehicles and buddy system seem intriguing. So, I'm looking forward to hearing more about it anyway. If it's fun, I'll be happy.

But, I doubt that it'll be any better than the GameBoy Advance Super Circuit. That's still the cream of the kart crop, in my opinion, despite the crummy artificial intelligence in the 150 circuit.

Well, I cant wait for this Title to come out. My first games for N64 were Mario Kart, Turok, and MK Trilogy. And let me tell you. I still play Mario Kart today. Its a great game and it should never be forgotten. I just hope that the new Mario Kart will live up to its origonal Titles from the SNES, and N64.

Go Karting!!! Heh.......that was bad.........

[color=#808080]Here are a couple of new Mario Kart: Double Dash screens, courtesy of IGN:[/color]

[img]http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/kartdubbed1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/kartdubbed2.jpg[/img]

I'm really excited about this game. I loved Mario Kart 64 and the original for the SNES. Although I hope all of the tracks/cups whetever won't be available form the start, a la MK64. That took a lot of the fun out of it.

Another thing that would be nice to see would be computer playersin multiplayer races. Just having two in a battle mode got rather boring rather quickly. Four was okay, but any less than that wasn't really enough. Secret characters, weapons, tracks would be great too. Especially if one of the characters was Link on Epona or something like that. Or Fox. Fox would be very nice.

[color=indigo]I think the ultimate secret characters would be Link and Tetra from TWW in a King of Red Lions kart. ^_^ ...But I kinda doubt anything like that'll be in it. It is [u]Mario[/u] Kart, after all. I think putting in characters from other game series would kind of spoil that "Mario" feeling that the past games have all had.[/color]

That's true. I can dream, though.

Presumably the tracks will have themes such as Luigi's Mansion and various levels from SMS. One of my favourite levels was Rainbow Road- I hope that'll get another reincarnation, along with various others from the previous games (Bowser's Castle, Yoshi's Island or whatever it was).

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]As long as they remove the damn fence on Rainbow Road... The MK64 version was weaksauce. I loved it on SNES and GBA.

I'm sure it'll be returning. It's like a staple for the series. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Yeah, they better not have a fence around the edge of the new Rainbow Road. (It does seem pretty much guaranteed that there'll be a new one in Double Dash). It would have been a lot more fun in MK64 without the fence.

I like the way they did it in Super Circuit, though, with the jump strips all around the edges. That makes for some insane shortcuts. I actually managed to beat the game testers' best time on that track, heh.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
Well, the game was finally shown in motion. And in CNN. Well, if anyone wants to see the video, you can download it at PLanet Gamecube.
[URL=http://planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=4350]Direct Link (kinda)[/URL]