OtakuBoards

Jackie Chan or Jet Li?

DarK DeatH

OK, I think that both these guys are awesome actors, but which of them do you think is the coolest? I myself can't decide, since I've seen awesome Jackie Chan movies, and also awesome Jet Li movies... lol... But, anyways, Li makes some more serious movies, while Jackie makes more funny movies, so, yeah, what do yall think?

I must be the only one on earth that thinks Jet Li hasn't made [i]one[/i] good movie in the US. I'd rather watch his older stuff.

But even then, I don't feel he compares to Jackie Chan...

And even then, I'd rather watch Bruce Lee.

[b][size=1]Jackie Chan's movies started out as unpopular/bad ones, but look where he is now...

I think Jet Li is fast approaching to replace Jackie Chan in some way, but until then Jackie Chan still reigns supreme.[/b][/size]

I don't really feel that Jackie Chan's were ever as bad as the crap Jet Li manages to score here... and even then, they both have history back in their own countries. And in that case, I still think Jackie Chan's stuff is better overall.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DarK DeatH [/i]
[B]OK, I think that both these guys are awesome actors, but which of them do you think is the coolest? I myself can't decide, since I've seen awesome Jackie Chan movies, and also awesome Jet Li movies... lol... But, anyways, Li makes some more serious movies, while Jackie makes more funny movies, so, yeah, what do yall think? [/B][/QUOTE]

Jackie Chan and Jet Li are awesome actors?? Heheh. I think you're using the word 'acting' in a very loose sense. Unless of course, you're speaking of their movies in their native languages. Even then, there has only been a handful of movies in which they have displayed their acting prowess. No, rather these are action movie stars, much like Van Damme, Stallone, and Arnie.

In terms of their martial arts abilities, both are very good exponents. These guys are the 'real' deal. Not in the sense that they can take on a whole gang of bikers in a dark alley or anything, but more in the sense that these guys actually know their craft. They know what they're doing. They're not some lame-assed actors who've only built-up and done some basic training in 6 months for a movie shoot.

Whose better? Its hard to say. Because they both have very different styles. Jackie is more of a clown. But don't let that fool you. What he does takes skill and nerve. It isn't done in flash of editing. Especially his older movies. He's getting on a bit now, and since he's been in Hollywood they've put on a bit of SFX.

Jet Li used to be a gymnast. Or at least he was a student in the Beijing school. No small feat I can assure you.

I prefer Jet Li mainly cos I like my martial arts with a bit of attitude, that small but crucial edge of 'cool'. But if I were going on a date, Jackie's my man. Non-offensive silliness is the go. ;)

Yeah i think they are both pretty cool too...but in the sense of fighting jet li is better but in the sense of acting jackie chan is better...so it's hard to choose over all who is better but i think i'm going to stick with jet li on this one. Sorry Jackie.

Ok, I must agree that it is a tough choice to dicide how is better, but htey booth made such good movies. But, to me theres nothing better than a good luahg, so with that said, I say that Jackie Chan would take my vote.

[size=1]
[b]Jackie Chan is easily a better actor than Jet Li.

Jet Li was reared to be a martial artist and competitor more than anything. And Jackie Chan went through acrobatic and threatre acting, or something along those lines.

And it easily shows in their films.[/b]

My fighting and martial artist vote goes to Jet Li (Bruce, if he was included), and acting goes straight to Jackie Chan (or Bruce o.-).[/size]

You can't simple compare these two. They are nothing alike besides they speak Chinese and they do martial arts. It's not even the same style of martial arts lol. And their acting isn't the same. Its like comparing apples and oranges... they are both fruit, but they are totally different.

I do however enjoy the movies these two have been in, obviously not for acting purposes, but for pure "kick-action" entertainment, which is what it is. Who watches a Jet Li or Jackie Chan film because he's a good actor? No one lol.

Jackie Chan is more of a legend than Jet Li. The only reason Jet became popular here is because Jackie CHan became popular here. I think the most notable breakthrough for Jackie was Rumble in The Bronx as far as American releases go... Lethal Weapon 4 for Jet Li.

Jackie Chan brings a more comedic aspect to his work as well, something you don't see that much from Jet Li. Jackie Chan uses more elements around him in his fight scenes. You'll see him constantly using chairs, ladders, frigerators, etc etc. Jet li tends to stick with his fists and feet. Jackie Chan doesn't use much, if any, special effects in his fight scenes, where You can see almost any Jet Li film and see some sort of special effects used. Once Apon a Time in China and The One are fine examples of this. I don't think I've ever seen Jackie Chan do any of that sort of thing.

Anyway, yeah... not comparable. It depends on what you like to watch. I really can't say who I like more to watch, since I find them both entertaining.

And Semjaza, Romeo Must Die was a damn good movie. :p

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by AJeh [/i]
[B][size=1]
[b]Jackie Chan is easily a better actor than Jet Li.

Jet Li was reared to be a martial artist and competitor more than anything. And Jackie Chan went through acrobatic and threatre acting, or something along those lines.

And it easily shows in their films.[/b]

My fighting and martial artist vote goes to Jet Li (Bruce, if he was included), and acting goes straight to Jackie Chan (or Bruce o.-).[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree! *sigh* Though Bruce was so the man! Did you know that Bruce Lee didn't even have any acting lessons (well he did have a short month session before Enter The Dragon but that was it) I think that is amazing.

Personally I favor Jackie Chan over Jet Li. I think Jet's movies use too much wire work and computer animation, while Jackie's moves are more realistic (not counting the Tuxedo:mad: ).

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Oradriel [/i]
[B]I would definitely go for Jackie Chan simply becuz the man did enough stunts and has broken enough bones and I give him credit and respect for that. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree with that... lol, you see on his movies that when they end, you see the "behind the scenes" parts... I've seen him with a broken foot still doing his stunts... wearing a rubber shoe...

Like said before, both are good... I like Jet Li's movies a lot, but he is a bit weird, if you look... His movies always have something sorta "psychedelic", while Jackie's movies are purely fun and stuff like that... lol

Jackie is a much better actor than Jet. I can't remember the last time Jet Li showed more than 3 emotions in one film. It's always plain seriousness, anger, and slight joy.

There's no comparing their fighting. They're two different styles.

Still, I've always liked Jackie's movies more. I'm a real sucker for comedy, and Jackie Chan has jokes comming out the stunt-wahzoo. I've never seen a Jackie Chan movie that I didn't laugh at.

Then again, I haven't seen very many of Jet Li's Hong Kong films. I've probably only seen about 2 or 3 Hong Kong movies by Li, while my little cousin had me watching as many of Jackie's Hong Kong movies as possible.

Analytically, there's probably no way to choose. Personally, I pick Jackie.

One more thing!
(Quote from "I'm Gonna Get You, Sucka")

[b]Kung Fu Joe:[/b] "They took away my master." [i]holds up a picture of Bruce Lee[/i] "Master!!"
[b]Jack:[/b] "Wow, Bruce Lee taught you how to fight!?"
[b]Kung Fu Joe:[/b] "No. Acting coach."

Guest Steiner
Jackie hands down beats Jet. mostly because jets movies are always the same The same moves the same story where in jackies movies he uses different styles and tottaly different story lines. And the legend of the drunken master is the best movie ever!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Steiner [/i]
[B]mostly because jets movies are always the same The same moves the same story where in jackies movies he uses different styles and tottaly different story lines.[/B][/QUOTE][b][size=1]While I agree that Jet Li's films are the usual same puked out stuff, and he always seems to play the 'I'm a badass to the bone/I'm going to become one midway through the film', I think Jet Li's moves are far more varied than Jackie's are. Film to film, I mean.

Like in The One. He uses two distinctly different styles to match his take on the two characters' personalities.[quote]Cut-outs from JetLi.com[/b]
Xing Yi Quan-
It's a very direct, linear style with emphasis on application. This is why it is so appropriate for Yulaw's character -- a man with a singular purpose in life: to become The One.
Bagua Zhang-
Bagua Zhang is practiced by walking in circles with palms open. The movement is based on a circular, balanced theory. When the upper body protrudes, the lower body retreats; when the arms are sent out, the feet are drawn back. It's movements are almost snake-like has it weaves and twists in circular patterns around the opponent. It's balanced nature makes it a perfect complement to the character Gabe, who's life is in a comfortable balance.[/quote][b]So if in one film he can demonstrate two totally different styles, how can you say his moves are generic etc?[/b]

Jackie still rocks though :blackeye: [/size]

Guest Steiner
can any one actually tell me style jet li uses. isnt one of those ancient one that no one knows about?

I like them both but if you want to see what I think is the best Jet Li movie then you should see Fist of Legends. This one actually has him fighting an incredible foe and he shows his emotions and his pride for his school. i think the subtitles is probably the best thing you can get in the US.