OtakuBoards

Was Robin Hood a terrorist?

Harry

A serious question here. Obviously his tale is told from 'Hood's perspective. John is the evil bastard who raises taxes for his own good while Robin slaughters the authorities.

For all we know, John could be raising those taxes to improve the infrastructure in Sheerwood for the betterment of the peasants. 'Hood thinks its to line John's pockets.

Also, there's the part where 'Hood runs into a peasant's house when he's pursued by the Sheriff's men. In this case, the peasant's supposed to be supportive of him (ie not kicking him out), but the point is he's using human shields.

The point is, we're not sure if the human shields (with children, IIRC) gave Robin consent to endanger their lives (they may have been screaming/cursing at 'Hood and his rebels to leave, but from 'Hood's side, they're cool with it).

So, the thing is could Robin Hood be considered a terrorist in most aspects, assuming the story was told from his perspective (a propaganda exercise)?

Just about every story ever told of Robin Hood makes him look like a righteous hero. On one hand, the man went against a usurper of the throne. However, he did commit various crimes in the process that endangered many of the citizens of Sherwood. Let's look to the dictionary(dot com)...

[b]terrorist[/b] [i]n.[/i] One that engages in acts or an act of terrorism.

[b]terrorism[/b] [i]n.[/i] The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

So if you want to get literal about it, then yes. Robin Hood was a terrorist, as were his Merry Men.

However, the real issue is whether or not John really was lining his own pockets with little regard for the people of Sherwood (as well as usurping the throne), and, in the case of Robin himself, if the end justified the means.

*SIGHS VERY DEEPLY* Yeah I guess he is. As is Dubya, he puts terror and fear into my heart. Nothing like the thought of Supream Court Justice apponites, the Patriot Act, and another looming war in the middle east/ N.K. to win reelection, to freeze my blood.

I've never liked Robin Hood, some i'm inclined to say that he was.

I mean, think about it: he steals. From those he considers unworthy of having the money. Really, who the heck is he to say whether or not someone deserves to have what they have? In the same note, who was he to decide who gets the stolen goods?

If something's stolen from me, I don't say, "Well, the theif told me that he gave it to an orphanage, so it's okay." It's still stealing.

The whole myth was a load of crock.

Well, after reviewing what you guys have said and thinking about the story, I've come up with this: No, he is not a terrorist. As it says in the stories, he "steals from the rich and gives to the poor". Heroic, no? Yes, this is stealing, but not terrorism. However, the point that seems to make it all terrorism to you guys is this: it's against the government. Well, according to the stories, King John took the taxes for his own good, not anyone else's. Is that fair? I think not.[I]That[/I] is basically stealing. Robin Hood steals back the goods and returns them to the people who need them. So, really, Robing Hood is a just a theif.

He's theiving for good, though.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Manic [/i]
[B]Just about every story ever told of Robin Hood makes him look like a righteous hero. [/b][/quote]
Just because you read about him in a good light doesn't mean he is.

[quote][b]However, the real issue is whether or not John really was lining his own pockets with little regard for the people of Sherwood (as well as usurping the throne), and, in the case of Robin himself, if the end justified the means. [/B][/QUOTE]
So the ends justify the means? Since when? He would endanger others just to give others money? That doesn't sound heroic.

[size=1]He didn't say that, he was saying the matter was [i]if[/i] the ends justified the means or not...

Meh.

Eh, I always liked the movie where he was a fox...I thought that was pretty cool. Heh.

People need heroes. Sometimes they find them in what could be considered less-than-ideal persons, but hey--there's a shortage of perfection in this world, and you take what you can get.[/size]

Guest cloricus
With Harry on this one, there is no doubt that he is a criminal. Possibly even falls under terrorist. Though I think that Harry has missed several key points.

- These sorts of things are kept in societies and told to children to teach morals. All be it those stories have be "cleaned up" before they are told to children. The main idea of it is to teach people not to stand by while they are being oppressed, I personally would rather that idea be passed on that to rip apart the story looking for the truth. (Most people learn about the real hood later on anyway.)
- Ned Kelly. The famous Australia Bush Ranger was a murderer, robber and many other things. But that part is glossed over in the light that he was a hero. The mans family was intimidated and one of the members was killed, he then went out to seek revenge. He was hung for his crimes. Yet it forms a valuable part in the Australian history.

People just need a hero and someone who shows the values held by the society.

Eps ? History.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Change [/i]
[B]*SIGHS VERY DEEPLY* Yeah I guess he is. As is Dubya, he puts terror and fear into my heart. Nothing like the thought of Supream Court Justice apponites, the Patriot Act, and another looming war in the middle east/ N.K. to win reelection, to freeze my blood. [/B][/QUOTE]

Now this is what makes me frightened...

Political opinions from this sort of view.

Actually, Im just playing.

However, I would say robin hood was more of a rebel than a terrorist...

He didnt kill, he stole.

Plus with the story itself, there are extenuating circumstances that change the "rules."

Oh well, I figure this is gonna lead back to politics and g. bush and not robin hood.

I gotta say though, since "dubya" came into office, I havent had anything done to me... oh yea, a major heart break when I watched 3,000 people die.

I also would like to see who g. w. bush appointed to the supreme court... I dont remember that happening... oh well.

I also thought it would be a good point to mention that I was totally against voting for bush until he nuked north korea.

I mean, that is a great way to win an election... as he learned from his father... I mean, its not like there is a legitimate reason to fight the extremist muslims or the violators of human rights, and oh yea, those fellas that fail to uphold their end of a nuclear non-proliferation treaty created by our great and honorable Mr. I mean, former president clinton.

Um yea, thats about it.

Thanks for reading though...

And remember, robin hood didnt kill indiscriminatly... he stole from the "rich, oppressive, elitist, leadership of a midevil cast system society."

[color=#808080]I personally would class Robin Hood as a thief and not a terrorist.

And if you look at all the stories of the Sherrif and stuff...we tend to get the impression that the "powers that be" are greedy and self-absorbed. And the stories conclude that Robin is stealing from the rich and giving to the poor -- rather than stealing for his own benefit.

But that's how the story portrays it. I think it's obvious that he's a criminal (thief), but I don't know if I'd put him in the same class as someone who blows up innocent people, as terrorists has a tendency to do.

And Duo, why would you even [i]want[/i] to loot a CEO's house? Who says that just because he/she is rich, he/she is also elitist? I smell tall poppy syndrome here.[/color]

Guest cloricus
I'm sorry this is off topic but just for my personal enlightenment who is Dubya and what the heck was Go[b]K[/b]ents post about?

Eps - ?

'Dubya' is a nickname for US President George W. Bush. It's an exagerated Texan pronunciation of the letter W. Although I'm not sure, I believe it's almost always used derogatorily. It might not be, but I've never heard anyone call him that who was praising him. *Shrugs*

I refuse to bring my own political opinions into this, however. I decided, on reflection, that Robin Hood is a criminal, but not a terrorist.

[color=darkblue]Well, he commited crimes against the government, so technically he is.

But think about the Berlin Wall being torn down or the coup in the former USSR. Or the American Revolution, whatever. Those anti-government actions were necessary to free citizens from what they saw as oppressive rule. So maybe there are different kinds of terrorism.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong. I've never really thought about it before.[/color]

[color=crimson]If you put it literally, I think most of us in here have been 'terrorists' in lesser forms than that which Bush is going after with his Holy Crusade. We use fear as a form to control rowdy children- We use fear to keep society in work. Fear of Jailtime for Criminal activities, Fear of not being able to support ourselfs if we dont do well in school, Fear of our Parents disapproving of us for failing. Fear is apart of every government- its one of the oldest ways to keep humans straight.

But when Terrorism takes on the form of Culture vs Culture, and lives are lost is when it becomes something 'wrong'. Therefore, All of us are terrorists, but in a lesser form.

At least.. in my mind.[/color]

ahh, the holy crusade... christians versus muslims.

It is totally relivant to this discussion.

Think about it... bush on a "holy crusade" to rid the world of the peace loving muslim extremist is almost identical to the story of robin hood and in general, completly mimics the reasons for and actions of terrorism.

I would say that robin hood was the greatest terrorist of all time.

He killed the innocent at every turn, and flat out stated his only goal was the destruction of those who did not believe in his own ideologies.

He redistributed the wealth of the rich and saw fit to replace the head of state.

If I didnt know better I would say terrorist are good people... oh wait, I guess with "dubya" being a crusading terrorist, it just might be true... terrorist are good people.

Guest Voodookanaka
The winning side iare always the goodies, coz their the ones who get to live to tell the story. (this relates to everything ever in history, on the points where its not, its because the masses who believe otherwise ewventually outnumber) Because robin hood got away with it, he was the 'goodie' If he had been caught and publically hung, and his drunken men disbanded, hed have been an evil theif.

History is written by the victors, or so it is said. I think that terrorist is a word to try and dissociate the person from the ideals. I undertsand some 'terrorists' are complete psychos, but most terrorists do what they do because they eblive they are right. They kill, os that makes them evil. The united states kills a hell of alot of peopel each year, especially Texas, through diffrent types of execution methods, and only because it is legal does it make it right?

Well... you can call me a bit bribed about the situation for i live in israel, i think terrirism represents a person pov, give you the example of the mid east, wich i have been in myself, a terrorist to the palastines is a "Freedon Fighter" though to the israel he is considered a murderur, and he is, so i rather look at this thing called terrorism as very bad...

[QUOTE]
terrorist are good people. [/QUOTE]

that i really disagree with you (even if it was a joke it wasnt really funny sorry), and i can really explain... no terror is exeptible, no terror, i guass seeing your friends die, at the age of 14 isnt that happy sight... so i guass calling any terrorist "a good man" is quiet insolting, no matter what the reasons are, wether it is to become free of occupation , or fighting for a religon or for a king or fpr principals, i think someone who cannot deal peacefully with his problems is considered a weak person, such goverments who fight and kill (even the israely goverment) for principals is a weak goverment who cannot deal with it in other ways. (only my opinion).

i want to quate a phrase i really liked from trigun:
"No one has the right To take the life of another, everyone has a future.

Isnt that right?"

if you remember the story Richard was the crowned king of england. Robin was one of richard's men. Robin was simply trying to destabalize the regiem that john had put in place in england. He was not a terrorist, but a covert operative of the legitimate authority.
trying to tempere the current authority until the legitimate governmewnt came back. " If you remember he was always talking about the return of the king"

Example: During WWII the Germans had occupied several european countries. Their legitimate governments had been overthrown. Resistance fighters in these countries harried the governments put in place by the Germans until the legitimite governments were restored (or the communist took over).

It just depends from who's perspective you are looking at it from.
It's the same with any attack made from anyone, some people think they are terrorists, because they are being attacked, and the people who are doing the attacking probably think they are fighting for freedom, or justice or something.
It just depends on your view.