OtakuBoards

How do you become a bigger member?

Kaola Su

Your user title will change in accordance with your post count. I'll put it into perspective for you. Here is a general listing of the titles reached by members thus far:

[b]Junior Member[/b]--[I]250 posts[/I]
[b]Member[/b]--[I]500 posts[/I]
[b]Otaku[/b]--[I]1000 posts[/I]
[b]Extreme Otaku[/b]--[I]2000 posts[/I] :fixes typo:
[b]No Life[/b]--[I]3000 posts[/I]
[b]I Live Here[/b]--[I]5000 posts[/I]

That being said, the following is very [b]important[/b] for you to read. User titles have little bearing in determining a member's quality or "rank," so to speak.

Members who post well and abide by the rules are generally more likely to be well received than those who only post often. So, to reiterate, we care more about what you have to say and how you say it than we do how frequently you say it.

So, there's no need to be too concerned with titles. Just have fun. :cool:

Extreme Otaku = 2000 CWB, a tad of a typo there... I'm still not sure why we have the ranks, it only makes people want them. I like the idea of being a newbie from 1-100 posts, them being a member from then on...

How important are a couple words under your name?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Zeh [/i]
[B]How important are a couple words under your name? [/B][/QUOTE]

Very to newbies. Little to members and others rank above it. Hahaha.

Also To become Mods, you'll be chosen by Adam or Chales here. Not sure about James though ( since he's the Site Director)

Okay, thaank you all. I was just asking though, names don't matter here to me. But now that you have said something about it, do more people kind of pass by newbies as not mattering? I have posted a few threads which have had many views but no one ever replies hardly. It easily could be that they aren't very interesting I suppose, but I am definately not jumping to conclusions! I am was just simply asking. *Thinks to self "Grrrr...hope I don't bore people!"*

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by G/S/B Master [/i]
[B]Also To become Mods, you'll be chosen by Adam or Chales here. Not sure about James though ( since he's the Site Director) [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, nope. It's still James' responsibility to hire and dismiss staff. Scroll down on the announcements for a detailed explanation.

And Kaola Su, newbies aren't treated differently from other members here. Everyone is on equal grounds. I've been here for almost two years and I still post threads that only get a few replies on occasion.

I'm sure that you'll make plenty of friends in time.

By the way, did you spell your name incorrectly? Is it supposed to be "Koala?" I'm just asking because I'm doing name changes right now (looks at your sig), and if your account needs to be corrected, now would be a convenient time for me to make the adjustment.

Well, no, it is a character from Love Hina. I already had it changed to that, so I can't change it again, even though I did misspell her name! It is supposed to be Kaolla Su, not Kaola Su (two L's in her name!). O'well, it is okee-doekee though!

Well, thank you for letting me know about that though. I kind of just thought that maybe no one pays as much attention to the newbies! But again, thank you for clearing that up. I wasn't trying to jump to that conclusion though, just so you know!

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]Well, I know some higher rank members miss their old titles. And I've seen quite a few newbies with a much better post quality than some of the members with a higher post count.

I miss my 'otaku'... *curls up*[/color] [/size]

I kinda miss my member thingy... Mainly because I thought I'd never commit to OtakuBoards long enough to gain the whole Otaku title.

And, unfortunately, Charles isn't telling the whole truth. There are some people that shun newbies simply because they are new. And because they are new, they don't know all the rules yet, and sometimes break them.

Like Juu, however, I've seen newbies with much better post quality than some 'Otakus'. So don't be discouraged. It's just like having someone new move into your neighborhood. You have to make friends and abide by the rules. :)

Yeah I don't mean to sound like a total b-word or anything, but I know some members and moderators at that...no names of corse, but they have been really rude to me for breaking the rules. They acted like I was so stupid and it really made me feel out of place and bad for not knowing every rule. I will definately say now that I do believe some people do that just b/c I am new. I got really angry at how poorly I was treated and how some moderators would say the meanest things about me or to me and just close my thread. when all in all they could have just moved some of them, but didn't.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DarkOrderKnight [/i]
[B]And, unfortunately, Charles isn't telling the whole truth. There are some people that shun newbies simply because they are new. And because they are new, they don't know all the rules yet, and sometimes break them.[/B][/QUOTE]

This is totally incorrect as far as I know.

Members are actually [i]discouraged[/i] from "playing moderator." Staff will actually take action in extreme cases of false modding. So, it's fairly difficult for a newbie to be belittled in a public way like that.

And, I've yet to notice members here being discriminated against because of their registration date. That's not to say it isn't there [i]at all[/i]--but I've not seen it.

I'd thought that members' reputations were built on their opinions and how they presented them. If you ever notice examples of members being treated poorly because of their newbie title, then please let me know.

I really get a kick out of people who insult others on message boards over registration dates. There's nothing more dorkish, in my opinion.

[color=green]*Replies to Su's post...not Charles...KUKUKU!Oo*Ahh, some mods are like that sadly. They are just doing their job though, even if they ARE taking it to the extreme. Most of the mods are actually very nice people, you just have to get to know them!^^()

That's what I try to do really, if I have questions I usually ask a mod, James, Charles, or a member who seems to know what they're doing.^^()

I think I've learned the basic rules here, and I really enjoy it now. Also, I've got to agree that post counts don't seem to matter here. I'm not usually treated any different because of my post counts, it's really my attitude and posts that get at people.^^()

I know of MANY higher post count members who, in my opinion, are immature, have poor grammar, horrid post quality, and are just plain jerks.>>() It depends on the person behind the posts, just remember that!^^[/color]

[color=indigo]Well, just a couple days ago I saw someone (not going to post any names) insult a new member for spamming a bit, and then they told him/her to go read the rules. (Funny thing was, the person doing the insulting hadn't even been here for very much longer). I dealt with it, but my point is, it does happen sometimes.

Try not to take it too personally if a moderator comes off as a little rude, though. Like a couple people have said, we are just doing our jobs. Personally, if someone breaks the rules and I have to step in, even banning them, that doesn't always affect my opinion of that member as a person that much. I've talked to people over AIM that have been banned from OB, and we've gotten along fine. And this is especially true if it's just something as simple as closing a thread, which doesn't affect my opinion of a member as a person at all. (Unless they're mass spamming or flaming or something really bad like that). Sometimes we can be a little stressed, too, from having to do with all the spam and whatnot, and it's easy to take it out on people by being rude. I try and be as nice about enforcing the rules as I can, but still, it can be hard. Especially if I'm in a hurry, trying to type something out fast, and I'm not really thinking too much about it.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by (_)ltryneo [/i]
[B]Well the mods do take it a bit hard on new people but their just doing their jobs,and still u can't know all the rules if im correct the rules haven't been updated for sometime. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#808080]Well, the rules are essentially 99% accurate. The only inaccurate part is the name of certain forums and a few updates that haven't been put there.

For instance, you have two images in your signature. But our rules CLEARLY state that members are allowed only [i]one[/i] image. If you had read the rules, you would be aware of this. See what I mean? It's not hard; it takes little effort.

Most people do follow the rules, which is good.

As far as the newbie bashing - I don't see a lot of that. The people who bash newbies lately (from what I've seen) are, funnily enough, people with poor post quality themselves. Very ironic.

If anyone ever has a problem with a Moderator (who might have flamed them or been very rude), I encourage you to PM me with details including a link to the thread. I will not mention your name to the Moderator if I give them a warning - and believe me, I'm quite prepared to warn Moderators to remain civil.

Moderators are members too. And they're required to do their job with maturity - being rude when a member genuinely needs assistance is a big no-no. So, people shouldn't feel that I'll get mad if they report a Moderator. On the contrary, I [i]want[/i] to know if someone isn't working out so that I can replace them.

But yes, as Desbreko said...Moderators and Category Moderators can be stressed out by their job. So I do ask that they be given a little understanding. Still, if you're being flamed or verbally abused by a Moderator/CM, that's unacceptable.[/color]

Oh, totally, I understand that they are doing their jobs. Some do tend to make it a little bit rougher on the newbies, but maybe it was just not that person's day! I am okay with it! Thanx for all the replies!