OtakuBoards

What do u think about discussion of evolution being "limited?" ^-^

klinanime1

Right, I get this feeling that this might be closed soon, but... *glances at James* I find it quite interesting that the threads to evolution are closed so quickly. I searched the forums, and get nothing but digimon and pokemon to the words evolution on anything before December 2002. Oh, and another previously closed thread.-_-.
Some of us are quite knowledgable on the topic. I've been researching the debate topic for three years, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had a great interest in the debate for and against evolution. I think we should be able to at least start a new thread for this year. C'mon, I need some way to practice debates with plausible clauses. Besides, do you know WHAT they're jamming down our throats in high school biology?
I think we're all up to par to discuss this topic. Anyone else agree?

[size=1]Your opinion is valid, we *should* be able to have these sorts of discussions.

The main problem (Even though I realize that this would not be considered a problem for some here) is that these evolution discussions have a bad habit of turning into religious debates. Just like in real life, the most controversial subjects cannot be discussed in an intelligent manner without someone getting offended. There are many intelligent members who could handle a mature discussion about evolution, but there are just as many immature ones out there.

In order to keep this from being closed immediately, I'm going to move this to Suggestions/Feedback where it would be more appropriate.

-Shy[/size]

[color=002E55][url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21922]Here is where[/url] a thread mainly about evolution with everyones thoughts in it can be found. It's not that old. Yes, it has been closed, but if you wanted to see everyones thoughts and feedback on the subject you can find them in there.

James already made some points about this kind of thread in [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24642]his reply to another thread.[/url] I suggest you read them.[/color]

Personally, I won't miss it.

It feels like we talk about this every couple months. People present their points, which mostly are straight out of text books or uninformed in some way (of course, there are many exceptions). Then we wind up with really, two clear sides on the argument and it goes [i]nowhere[/i] for pages. I see no point in dragging it out, and really that kind of makes it worth not even starting up in the first place.

We live in a huge world with tons of unknowns. There has to be something worthwhile to debate other than that.

I'm starting to feel this way about some of these religion threads as well. I find them interesting, but am I the only one that feels like every other decent sized thread here has been about that? It's getting monotonous. And while people make good points, it's starting to feel like the same ones. There are people here that will [i]always[/i] be highly religious and people who will [i]never[/i] give a damn, and nothing will change this. I think there is a point where it's just like, is this ever going to end?

So no, I really have no problem with it being closed in that sense. However, who knows where it would have went... but history shows us it rarely goes anywhere worth waiting to find out about.

I suppose it's better than all the damn depression threads from a month back though.

The problem I have with it is, as has been mentioned, it drags on page after page after page, and the same points are made over and over again.

As James said, they're fine [i]every so often[/i], but no more than that.

-Justin

[color=#808080]I can only concur with what everybody else here has said.

Obviously, most of you guys understand my reasoning. And I think, lik me, you're probably tired of these threads popping up every five seconds.

It's not that we [i]shouldn't[/i] have these debates. It's that the very few who are prepared to have intelligent discussion are often bombarded with pointless posts from others. Neither I nor other Moderators have the time to sit through the thread and monitor every single issue.

People start accusing others of being intolerant of religion, or intolerant of science or whatever.

I wish the situation was different, but it's not. And right now, I'm not prepared (as with many others) to see these discussions pop up so frequently. It's not hard to find threads on evolution -- if you can't find them by searching, find them by going back over old pages. I guarantee it won't take you long to find something.

In any case, I think the reasoning for this closure has been explained into the ground. Everybody pretty much understands the situation, I think.[/color]