Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
[COLOR=blue]
I'm only a first year keyboard player, but I'd like to try and join a band when I get a bit better. If any of you are in a band, were in a band, or tried to join a band before, could you give me some tips on what most bands expect of you? Should I try to write my own songs, or play songs by other artists? Should I give them a demo tape, or should I play for them in person? Also, do they care if you've ever played in a band before? Thanks for the help. :D
[/COLOR]
Posted
[color=darkblue][size=1]I don't know, it was never that complicated when I joined one. Usually it's because I was starting them myself. When I picked who I wanted to be in my band, I picked the person who was the most compatible with the music I wanted to play. I didn't really care if they wrote their own songs or not, because we wouldn't be playing theirs, lol. Once everybody is in-sync, that's when you start incorporating ideas.

As for myself joining bands, I usually just heard through the rumor mill that somebody needed a bass player, or whatever it was. Then I just played whatever they told me to for awhile, because I wouldn't have joined the band in the first place if I didn't like them.

As long as you're pretty much on the same skill level as the other band members, you should be okay.[/size][/color]
Posted
Well i have been in a fair share of bands. Lady Mac hit it on the head, it has always been me and my other friend who has made the band, but yeah, we just looked for someone who likes our type of music and can play the stuff we want to play as a band ^^. I hope that helps. Also playin in person is much better than a demo i think, ;).
Posted
[color=indigo]It really isn't very complicated. My only advice for you is to play with as many people as possible, as much as possible. Experience is what it is all about...I would just create a band with friends at first...

When you get a little more comfortable, try and play with people that have different musical tastes than you...that is what I [b]wish[/b] I had done more of. It helps keep your sound original instead of imatative.[/color]
Posted
Have a mix of already recorded and your own music. The people you're trying out for will use the already used as a basis, and your new stuff will give them an idea as to if you'd be able to contribute to writing
Posted
Don't suck

Write your own music and don't soley base your skill off other people's work, cause anyone can do that.

Don't try to take over, give out your ideas as equaly as others... power hungry people always end up losing int he long run.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]Don't suck[/B][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=blue]
:p I think that's the best advice right there. But seriously, thanks everyone. I will try to write my own music, and play with my friends first, and I will especially try to play with people that have different tastes in music than I do. (I'll probably end up playing in a country band because that's about the only type of music I don't like.) I have another question. Would you guys say that it would help a lot more if I could play more than one instrument or if I could sing or something?
[/COLOR]
Posted
[color=darkblue][size=1]Since you haven't been playing keyboard for very long, you should probably stick with that, unless you have other musical experience or just plain don't like it. It's good to just get used to playing an instrument, and to learn about keys and harmonies and all that. I think that once you can really handle one instrument, you find that all the others aren't very different. They're a lot easier to pick up.

But if you really want to branch out, go for it. Maybe keyboard isn't your forte. I play several instruments, but always neglect the non-guitar ones, lol. I really want to learn drums next, but have no access to a set or a teacher.:([/color][/size]
Posted
[color=indigo]Worry about getting good at one instrument first...however, singing is a plus.

Despite what people say, don't worry about sucking. You always suck at first, only experience and practice make things otherwise.[/color]
Posted
[COLOR=blue]
Thanks everyone, for the support. You're advice really helped. What do you guys think of stage names? If you had a uninteresting name, would you use a stage name?
[/COLOR]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Geist [/i]
[B][COLOR=blue]
Thanks everyone, for the support. You're advice really helped. What do you guys think of stage names? If you had a uninteresting name, would you use a stage name?
[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

Stage names, just make sure they're cool. I think most people should have stage names, "Michael" or "James" is just dull. Just don't pick something stupid like "Razor" -_-

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...