Sara Posted July 16, 2003 Posted July 16, 2003 [size=1]I've played clarinet for...*counts rapidly on fingers* seven years. I was first chair my freshman year, heh. [Not telling you how many clarinets there were :p] We were a [i]really[/i] small group--twelve people--with a new director. It still turned out pretty well. We went "on tour" and traveled up to the Twin Cities... I love music--that part of band was awesome. Unfortunately, the [i]people[/i] in band were pretty awful. It got to the point where I seethed the entire period--nearly skipped the last concert, too. I didn't join again this last year. On the other hand, [i]drama[/i]....[/size]
Deedlit Posted July 17, 2003 Posted July 17, 2003 [color=009966]I can't wait until band camp starts....Alas, I have to. Band camp doesn't start until the last week in July. >_>; Anyway, I'm a freshman and I'm on the DRUMLINE!!! *yays and w00ts! (except for the freshman part)* I reeeeeally want to play the snare, I'm waiting to play the snare, and I'm HOPING to play the snare since I've been practicing all year. I don't want to be in Pit or anything, since I want to [i]march[/i] and not stand on the sidelines. Quints are cool, but their very heavy and I can't take more than thirty minutes wearing them. I don't want to play the bass drum because I can't even see around the thing. o_0; I could be hitting somewhere near the rim and not even know it. Plus I want something more of a chalenge. As for cymbals, I wouldn't really have a problem playing them, but you can't really do a roll or 16 notes or rudiments on them, ya know? ^^;[/color]
Armadillomon Posted July 17, 2003 Posted July 17, 2003 Hey Deedlit, does your band march crash cymbals as part of the drumline? Mine doesn't, but if they did, I'd probably switch from trumpet to cymbals! I love playing the non-drum percussion equipment. It's so much fun! My fave percussion items are the gong, the triangle, the crash cymbals, and the tambourine.
amibasuki Posted July 17, 2003 Posted July 17, 2003 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Deedlit [/i] [B][color=009966]...Anyway, I'm a freshman and I'm on the DRUMLINE!!! *yays and w00ts! (except for the freshman part)*...[/color] [/B][/QUOTE] [FONT=arial]come-come now, you won't have to worry about being picked on in the freshman department as long as you don't act like a stereotypical freshman. other than maybe Steven, since he'll be glad he's not a freshman anymore, but he himself acts worse than one regardless, so he's got his comin' anyway. :devil:[/FONT]
Queen Asuka Posted July 17, 2003 Posted July 17, 2003 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Armadillomon [/i] [B]Hey Deedlit, does your band march crash cymbals as part of the drumline? [/B][/QUOTE] [color=hotpink][size=1]Well, I'm not Deedlit, but since I've been in our band longer than she has, I can answer that with a YES, we did. *Thinks about dear Peggy and Jess* Although, it seems as though we went through quite a good bit of cymbal players...*laughs a bit* YES I WAS IN MARCHING BAND! But I didn't play an instrument. I was on the Dance Line aka Drill Team and let me tell you, all the guys in the band were in love with us. The Color Guard LOATHED and hated us. Heck, they still do. But I must say that marching band was the best three years of my life and made High School incredibly enjoyable. My last year, Senior Year, our show was called "We're an American Band." I was the Captain of the Dance Line, along with Natalie, and it was so much fun. I made some many awesome friends that I love and miss DEARLY! My sister is on the Color Guard this year, so I can go visit all of my marching band buddies whenever I like. Teehee! ^_^[/color][/size]
Tobiass Posted July 18, 2003 Posted July 18, 2003 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by dark warrior [/i] [B]ahhh...the school band, i really miss it. Nothing gets the blood pumpin like a concert.Marching band was nothing but a chore though, give me the jazz band any day. [/B][/QUOTE] Jazz absolutely rocks, and I wanted to learn and play Jazz so damn badly. My freshmen year I was the only freshmen in our Jazz band (and that's saying a lot from my school, lol, no modesty here) but the next year our Jazz band director left, and we got a new guy. Now I was actually happy, because this guy was supposed to have had a REALLY good Jazz program at his previous school, but the entire Jazz band lost interest once the original director left. So the new director thought it was just a joke to have a Jazz band since no one but me and like one other guy was interested. Welp, Haltom doesn't have a Jazz program anymore. Of course you know I just graduated last year and all the sudden there's talk about trying to start it up now. Oh man, that pissed me off so bad.
dark warrior Posted July 19, 2003 Posted July 19, 2003 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tobiass [/i] [B]Of course you know I just graduated last year and all the sudden there's talk about trying to start it up now. Oh man, that pissed me off so bad. [/B][/QUOTE] lol...that bites,having something that great shut down because of lack of interest.Playing that upbeat swing music kept me sane when i got tired of Stars and stripes forever,etc.Music should not be rigid and uptight like it is in marching band. Its like having 20 - 30 ppl with giant sticks up their butts.
Tobiass Posted July 19, 2003 Posted July 19, 2003 yeah, but then again, our Marching Director also is the head instructor of the Brassline for Blue Devils, so our Marching Music is always pretty good to play, and I was the top trumpet player at our school, so it's was always fun blasting the guts out of my lips. lol, then when Concert season came around, I'd have to spend like a month conditioning my lips because of the blasting, lol. I wish I could still play..... :(
amibasuki Posted July 19, 2003 Posted July 19, 2003 [FONT=arial]......:twitch:.....THE Blue Devils?.....:twitch: :faint: that must've been awesome. I envy you. if only our band director was that good.[/FONT]
Terpischore Posted July 20, 2003 Posted July 20, 2003 [color=b60039]OMG. Are you serious, Tobiass???? The Blue Devils ROCK!! They've like won grand champion at DCI like 10 times in a row. They came to my high school and they were AWESOME....::ENVY::....[/color]
Guest Kanoske Posted July 20, 2003 Posted July 20, 2003 Last year my band director made me a trumpet section leader.. i was horrified. i had no clue what to do, lol. and now im stuck training the rookies.. they arent that bad this year, like i was.. but ive gotten to be one of the best on the band!
KKC Posted July 20, 2003 Posted July 20, 2003 ^_^ I got the Percussion part for our opening. It was kinda fun on Friday. Everyone else got there music but me, So I sat on my butt most of practice and played with toy race car we found. It was.... an off day, I guess you could say. I get my Part tomarrow. Were practicing 9:00 to 5:00.... Dang it. At least we dont have 9:00 to 9:00 until next week.
Tobiass Posted July 21, 2003 Posted July 21, 2003 [QUOTE]...........THE Blue Devils?..... that must've been awesome. I envy you. if only our band director was that good.[/QUOTE] [quote]OMG. Are you serious, Tobiass???? The Blue Devils ROCK!! They've like won grand champion at DCI like 10 times in a row. They came to my high school and they were AWESOME....::ENVY::....[/quote] yeah, our school has been very fortunate to have great directors, infact he's not our only "known" director. Sometimes it really slips my head as to how good our music program is. I went to Haltom High, and they have such a strong program. Our head director Greg Hull, is amazing (a little crazy, lol, but amazing). He's pulled our concert band up to the very top many a time (I forget the actual title for the top concert band in the state of Texas....). Our 2nd band director, Van Mathews, is the marching director (and probably jazz soon) who is head of Brass for BD. Our Percussion Instructor is Ben Maughmer, which, any percussionist it the Texas area will almost certainly know him by name. He is head Snareline tech for the Cavaliers. My friends on the snareline are really freak'n good. One of them graduated a year before me, and 4 others this year with me. They had by far the best hishschool snareline in the country those two years in a row, and one of the top 2 or 3 lines the previous 2 years. haha, and the old director that I said was there for my freshmen year, yeah, when he left he went to the University of Houston, and is Head of Brass for the Cavaliers. So yeah, we have an incredible staff at our school. I'm not making it up either, I'm sure you can find the facts somewhere. Our school district is birdville independent school district, so you might could find the high school info there... lol. Yeah, you may envy me.... but I had surgery on my top jaw, and now my top lip is half numb (the surgery was almost 5 weeks ago, so I think it might be permanent) so I may not even be able to play my trumpet again....) yeah, if that happens, then I'll be the one in envy.
amibasuki Posted July 21, 2003 Posted July 21, 2003 [FONT=arial]hehe, man, I wanna hear how your school band sounds. or watch a performance. or SOMETHING! sorry 'bout the mouth problem though. hope it gets better.[/FONT]
Tobiass Posted July 21, 2003 Posted July 21, 2003 hmmm, let me dig some stuff up, I should be able to find something. [i]edit:[/i] well, here's some pictures... This is from my junior year, that's how long it's been since they've updated the site. These are just a "few" pictures though, they really didn't do jack with the site. I should be able to find some audio... and possibly video from some of my friends. If you want to see the band, you could probably e-mail Mr. Mathews (the middle picture) and ask him where they're competing this year. But... I dunno if he checks his e-mail... so. [url]http://www.birdville.k12.tx.us/001/index.htm[/url] click the box, and look for Extracurricular and then look for Varsity band on the right.
Terpischore Posted July 21, 2003 Posted July 21, 2003 [color=b60039]You go to Birdville HS?? I've been there. OU played there and I went to see it. That's cool, I'll have to look at that website sometime...[/color]
Tobiass Posted July 21, 2003 Posted July 21, 2003 yeah OU usually stops by once sometime in the middle of the year, and during Drum Corp season the Caviliers stop buy Birdville Stadium and use it to practice. (This past Friday and Saturday)
IwakuraLain Posted July 21, 2003 Posted July 21, 2003 i'm (was) in a marching band too playing the flute/piccolo during freshman year- dont worry too much about the piccolo, its not that much different from a flute except that u need more air =) hang in there! the best part about playing the piccolo is that u get 2 show off as much as u want 2 cuz its so high ^-^
Guest DarknessDreamer Posted July 22, 2003 Posted July 22, 2003 I'm in marching band. I'm in the colorguard(flag twirlers..fyi) I love it except our captian. But it was fun my freshman year. The pep rallies and the parades...it was awesome!
Yu Yu Hakusho! Posted August 6, 2003 Posted August 6, 2003 [font=arial][color=deeppink] Lauren=Freshmen=Flute ((yeah, that's me)) ^.^ Hello to everyone that is in high school or is entering high school! ((and especially Band students! Yeah! *high fives*)) I have just now entered high school. I've joined the marching band for Conroe High School and I have to say I'm pretty proud. We've been practicing since the end of July and school doesn't even start until August 18. My summer has seemed to be a total waste it and I'm not really ready for school to start yet. So anyway, if you have joined your band for your high school or whatever, I think that's really cool and I know what you're going through. It takes a lot of hard practice and patience to be in a marching band, especially for a high school. *pats everyone in marching band on the back* Good luck to yall! BTW, you can tell you're in band when you walk down the hall with your toes up in the air like you're marching.... And of course you're thinking, "Oh, what an immature little freshmen, what the heck is she talking about?" Yeah, I'm just a lil freshmen along with everyone else... *stares at cute seniors* In another 2 years I'll be driving, and 4 years I'll be going to college....man, where does time go? Good luck to everyone! ^.^ Best wishes, Lauren ((If I could drive I wouldn't have to eat at Taco Bell everyday for lunch....*eats industrial sized cookie instead* ^_______^)) ((You can tell you're in band when....))[/font][/color]
Moor_Child Posted August 7, 2003 Posted August 7, 2003 I have two more days of band camp to go!!! Then I get three days off and then school starts... I'm so sick of camp. This one stupid freshmen keeps telling me what to do. She needs to worry about herself before me. Some of you maybe thinking "You probably suck at marching ReTarr" well I don't ok, I'm like the best marcher in my section. (I'm not just being obnoxious) A word of advice to the freshmen or rookies of marching band: Don't tell the upper classmen what to do!! It makes them really really mad.
KKC Posted August 7, 2003 Posted August 7, 2003 I finished Camp last week, I didnt mind it too much ^^ I liked it, even though I have a stinkin Bells part! Thanx alot Brian!!! *cough* anyways, Im a newbie in marching band, and theres only one older person i tell off everyonce and a while. But thats only because she always tells me im doing something wrong when im actually doing it right!! She thinks shes a cat.... and she hits me all the time... And shes not even section leader.... how I hate her... Everyone is worried that she will be section leaded next year because she will be the oldest. *gasp* Nightmare!
Skyrose Posted August 7, 2003 Posted August 7, 2003 Yes, I'm a Junior this year, and I despise marching... But I'm just too valuable to let go, and being the sucker that I am, decided not to quit. I wish more people in my school's band really knew how to play, then I wouldn't even be needed...
Goven Man Posted August 8, 2003 Posted August 8, 2003 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by juna [/i] [B] I actually lettered in Marching Band in High School...(*cough*dork*cough*) ^_~ I loved it though, by my senior year I too played the pic, it was so cute and tiny...laf, I drove everyone crazy with how high it got. We used to go all over, Washington, Florida, NYC (the school was an uber music and arts school) and I loved every minute of it. Relax and have fun with it, it's a chance to play some music and be amoung your peers, *envy*, ahhh, to be back there again..... ^_^ [/B][/QUOTE] How do you letter in band? I thougt you could only letter in sports. Oh well. I am a freshman in marching band. I play the quads in the drumline. Our drumline has a mascot. It's a fish named well i can't remember. but he is a fish.
KKC Posted August 8, 2003 Posted August 8, 2003 T_T Dang! Lucky, I want to play quads when I get older. Our drumline just got new drums (Even though they dont need them) There really cool, they tried them out for the first time today, it was so awesome. we only have 2 quad players... were only a 2-A band...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now