OtakuBoards

Couldn't DragonBall Z's animation be better ?

Pagan

I was watching DBZ the other day and came to the realization that DBZ is a cheap animation. The fighting scenes though great as they are, are almost as bad as Pokemon. They have a sitting background and move the characters up and down in front of it on sticks. Well maybe its not that bad but its some of the worst; it's up there with the old Speed Racer. When they fight they replay scenes over and over like in the fight with Freiza they showed their fist clashing like fifty times it was the exact same picture. I like DB because they weren't very fast and you could see everything but as the show progresses it gets even worse as the charcters get faster the less we see actual punches and kicks and the more we them disapear and go so fast we can't see nothing but flashes on the background. DON'T THINK IM DISSING DBZ IM A DIE HARD FAN. But they could of made it better. Hopefully when DBGT comes along this year it will be better animation.

The pinncacle of DBZ animation was durring the Cell and Cell Games saga. Nothing else compares

But, this is DBZ. Why do you think it's so massively long? They had to bribe TV producers to keep it on the air, and this detracted from their arts budget. Or, that's my theory, anyway

[SIZE=1][COLOR=crimson]I would have to say Dragon Ball / Z / GT is better animation than pokemon. But in some episodes or scenes it may seem that the animation is not as good as some other animes. But JC said above. They was made along time ago because they was aired a while in Japan before coming to the states.[/size][/color]

They did make it better. It's called DragonBall GT lol.

DBZ never worked completely with CGI and fairly good animation till the 12th movie rolled around. if you watch that movie, you'll see some very significant changes in animation styles and features, of course that movie came at the end of DBZ, so all new animation techniques had to wait till DBGT.

On a side note, DB and DBZ were early animated. Early 90s almost. The animation is cheap cause thats the way it was back then, do some research to see. The only reason it doesn't look so much that way on American TV is because FUNimation makes the video quality a hell of alot better than it's original state. And in DB, they also made the music a bit clearer, although it still has that crappy 80s sound to it.

You want bad animation, watch Gundam. Most of the earlier series, Wing, G Gundam, and X have some of the worst animation ever. Any anime made before 1998 seems to be lacking. Now-a-days the animation has skyrocketed in technology as far as visual effects and sound.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]You want bad animation, watch Gundam. Most of the earlier series, Wing, G Gundam, and X have some of the worst animation ever. Any anime made before 1998 seems to be lacking.[/B][/QUOTE]
*Raises from the dead*

Wait a minute now, Gundam Wing, G Gundam, and Gundam X had some good animation. I'm sure you ment Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, and them other earlier Gundams had horrible animation.

But yeah, Dragonball Z did have some pretty rough animation, especially on a couple of episodes such as the final battle with Cell and Gohan, the first episode of Heaven's Tournament(when Goku and Pikuhan went to hell to fight Freiza, Cold, Cell, and the Ginyu Tokusentai{Force}), but most of the other animation was pretty decent. But not as good as GT like TN said. But we gotta remember, DBZ was made between 1984 and 1993. So yeah, you gotta expect the animation to be pretty rough.

Atleast the animation is nothin like the old school animes such as Lupin III, Voltron, etc. I mean, dont get me wrong, the shows were good, but the animation was...you get the point.

[size=1]I have never really thought that DragonBall's animation was all that bad. Although, I see it that it is just a cartoon. I do not expect much from it.

DragonBall was of course much more lacking in animation quality, but that was much more child oriented than DragonBall Z. The only part that might have really appealed to slightly older people was the perverted humor, heh.

DragonBall Z was pretty good I thought. It was fun to see its progression. As more sagas went by, the better the animation would get. By the time it got to the Buu Saga it was pretty decent, especially dealing with a character like Buu who can mold, stretch, and what not.

I have not seen all that much of DragonBall GT to really compare it. Only several clips and such; not really enough to get a good idea of its animation quality.

Though, the entire DragonBall series' animation is far better than Pokemon or Speed Racer, lol. Though, Speed Racer is kind of classic. Bad animation is sometimes just fun to watch.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Jinzouningen17 [/i]
[B]*Raises from the dead*

Wait a minute now, Gundam Wing, G Gundam, and Gundam X had some good animation. I'm sure you ment Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, and them other earlier Gundams had horrible animation.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Wing has it's moment,s but I didn't like X or G Gundam at all, then again I'm the Anti-Gundam, so I think it all sucks.

Anyway, I don't think people realize just how old DBZ really is. Which is why they think it's lacking in quality, which is not true, it was pretty up to par in it's original days.

The earliest Gundum series, Sailor Moon, Transformers, and GI Joe were all from the 80's, not the 90s, but in many places their animation is better. The animation in the Transformers: the Movie is better in some places then modern animation, and according to my movie poster, this was released in 1986.

DBZ had a low budget. Animes, in general, have a low budget, but DBZ, with a bad storyline (even as compared to most other animes - I mean, character developement may be Japan's specialty, but they're just plain BAD at stories - except in some of the animes target for adults, such as Evangelion), had a lower then Japanese-normal budget.