OtakuBoards

Horror Movies

XC SpydeR

*points to the movie forum*

Thirteen Ghosts was definitly a good horror flick, but not the best.
The best is easily SE7EN. The one with Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman. It's one creepy movie. And the seven deadly sins have always held an interest for me.

I think it's on TNT sometime this week.

[color=navy][i] Something tells me this doesn't belong in OL..
Anyway, i'd say The Ring. Why?
It offered good thrills, some nice grusome and twisted images, and had a really interesting plot.
Most horror movies nowadays are more action and special effects without a half decent plot. "Oh no, there's some monster/ghost/killer and he's killing everyone. HEY, FAKE BLOOD!" Gah, it's annoying. Too many horror movies are without a good plot. But the Ring had a very good one. I liked how everything tied together, all of the images actually meant someting, and how they really went in on the backround of Samara. The plot was half of the expirience, a trait of truly good movies.
If only the closups on the victim's mutilated faces lasted on the screen longer..that was one of the cooloest things i've ever seen in a movie..
~Matto[/color][/i]

Hellraiser is one of my favorites. The sequels I've seen aren't as good, but they're still fun, disgusting movies. I really love the design of Pinhead and the other cenobites.

Seven is awesome. That's another one of my favorites. I consider it more suspense than actual horror, but the scene for Lust is still cringe enducing.

There are many others, but I don't feel like writing anymore.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Matto Tradagen [/i]
[B][color=navy][i] Something tells me this doesn't belong in OL..
Anyway, i'd say The Ring. Why?
It offered good thrills, some nice grusome and twisted images, and had a really interesting plot.
Most horror movies nowadays are more action and special effects without a half decent plot. "Oh no, there's some monster/ghost/killer and he's killing everyone. HEY, FAKE BLOOD!" Gah, it's annoying. Too many horror movies are without a good plot. But the Ring had a very good one. I liked how everything tied together, all of the images actually meant someting, and how they really went in on the backround of Samara. The plot was half of the expirience, a trait of truly good movies.
If only the closups on the victim's mutilated faces lasted on the screen longer..that was one of the cooloest things i've ever seen in a movie..
~Matto[/color][/i] [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=crimson]I would have to agree COMPLETELY!! and i really don't need to explain [B]why[/B] this movie was so great myself, seeing as it was so wonderfully explained by Matto ^_^

Seriously, after watching that movie I didn't sleep for about a week and i couldn't be in a darkened room if the TV was off (i was too scared it would turn on to static O_o) so i constantly had to have music playing or something.
Not much freaks me out that bad..so yeah, i think this is my favourite horror movie ^_^ I liked the plot so much im dying to see the Japanese version of it.

However "Darkness falls" was a [B]very[/B] close second. I have only seen the first 20minutes of that movie and I stopped watching..later that night i thought something was in my bathroom O_o so i put a chair by the door lol.

I'd have to say my favourite classic horror movie would have to be "Hellraiser" despite its goriness and very twisted plot line you have to give the film credit. I'd just like to know [B]how[/B] the movie wasn't banned O_o It was made quite awhile ago and i know for a fact movies that were less graphic were banned. Maybe it was banned O_o i really don't know.

Just a few more additional comments *twitches*

"13 ghosts" was okay O_o I really didn't care for it all that much as I have seen better. Although "the torso" seriously unnerved me.

And finally..ALL HAIL FREDDIE KRUGER! O_o..I just find him highly amusing.

Oh yeah..and then theres "Jeepers Creepers" *shudders*...do i really need to say more about that movie? X_x[/color]

Darkness Falls is terrible. I was told it was quite good, so I watched it with a friend. I can't think of anything that was that special about it, whatsoever.

Afterwards, we watched this Making Of thing on the DVD extra features list. The people involved kept saying how original and sophisticated it was. I guess I saw a different movie than they made. Darkness Falls was nothing like that.

However, I'm not really into the current idea of what horror is. I don't like crappy mostly teen-aimed nonsense like the remake of Ghost Ship or Jeepers Creepers, or whatever else there is right now. While Darkness Falls doesn't totally fit into that, I don't think it does much better, honestly.

I prefer rather morbid, violent horror films, not movies that could basically just be called thrillers or suspense instead of horror.

[color=#707875]I tend to seperate horror movies like I do horror-themed games.

You have your Resident Evils (boo! I scared you!) and Silent Hills (a building sense of tension and darkness in the background).

Silent Hill really plays on your primal fear, while Resident Evil doesn't. That doesn't mean to say that RE is worse or lower quality...it just has a different technique.

Movies like Scream or Halloween are films that I generally find pretty laughable. I'll watch them with friends sometimes, for the pure dumb entertainment value. lol But I certainly don't sit there and expect these movies to say anything special or to have anything legitimately scary.

Movies like The Ring are more my style...visually meaningful and supernatural. I find the supernatural to be more scary than some guy running around with an axe. I suppose it's more the fact that with something like The Ring...you are not just in danger of being murdered, you are also seeing your entire mind collapse in the lead up to your death. It's something that is more all-encompassing, rather than just being a question of you being stabbed to death or something.

Having said that, I feel that The Ring could have been done a whole lot better. They did do some interesting things with the Japanese original...but there's a lot that they fail to explore, as well. I mostly like The Ring because I love its visuals. It's a gorgeous movie, artistically speaking. And the sound is incredible too, especially if you have a dolby digital setup. ~_^

There are movies that left me with a more empty/heavy feeling of depression, that I wouldn't necessarily call "horror" movies...just highly depressing movies. These tend to have a greater effect on me than some slasher film or something.

I remember being quite surprised by The Cell, which turned out to be a very graphic movie in every sense. It wasn't really "horror", but some of it was quite disturbing from what I remember. It is one of the most interesting movies I've ever seen, in the way that it explores the mind of a serial rapist/murderer. Some scenes (like the scene where [spoiler]the boy's father forces him to watch while he rapes the mother[/spoiler] are incredibly confronting and, to me, horrific. Those are the sorts of things that really made me feel like I had a weight in my stomach...something very emotionally taxing.

So I don't know if I find it "scary" as such, but I do find it to be quite draining. The Cell is worth watching IF you have a reasonably strong stomach. I don't recommend that kids watch it, because it [i]is[/i] quite graphic in some ways. And the sheer themes that it explores in some parts are definitely not for kids. [/color]

Guest pantalaimon
I have to say se7en with morgan freeman and brad pitt is quite good but has anyone seen the hole but i'm pretty sure thats not a horror movie just a thriller but it is good though.

Guest Jacks_Newsie
i don't really have a fave horror movie.....but the one i watch most frequently is 'Rose Red'....that's a good one

Actually I havent seen a good horror movie in a while. In fact a lot of horror are actually just another form of comedy to me that just pick because they are so stupid. Example, last week I saw Freddy vs. Jason. It wasn't bad, lots of blood, action, crappy acting, but no frights. It just wasn't what I expectated it to be.

The best movies to me are the old classics. One of my favorites is actually The Thing. I just recently saw this movie, and it was actually pretty scary. For those who havent seen you owe it to yourself to see it, it is classsic. Granted, it isn't as technological as most movies, but it is still scarier than a lot of the movies today. Really it is just the plot that makes the story, basically it is the fact the no one trust anyone it just puts you on the edge of your seat for the whole movie.

That what is missing in most horror, movies, a good story, I think direstors think just popular name on movie that it'll be scary, but thats not the case. Yet there is hope, they are remaking The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and I have to say just watching the movies trailer gave me chills down my spine. Whew, well anyway if the movie is at scary as it is beginning to look, then all horror fans have something good to look forward to.

I'm not really a horror movie fan. I can't stand blood and gore. (I will NEVER be a doctor!!)
Anyway, I prefer psychological and supernatural horror movies. I loved The Ring (I can drive my sister crazy by doing impressions). I also liked Bless the Child if you count is as horror. It really exposes Satanism and the New Age Movement for what they really are. I love the little girl in it. She's so cute.
I also liked the old Psycho: minimal gore, but it gets you on the edge of your seat. (Me at least since I don't watch many horror movies.) "Everyone goes a little mad sometimes..."

My All-Time favorite horror movie is Night Of The Living Dead, simply because of the atmosphere it gives when you watch it in the dead of night...it's really quite remarkable. It's so harsh in technique and jarring--and very disturbing at the end-- that you can't help but feel like "Oh, ****" after the credits start to roll. The mood feels even creepier when you have to walk by a sliding glass door on your way to bed :nervous:

Recently, I had a little sci-fi movie day with my friend, Jenn. We started with The Thing (the original), then moved on to John Carpenter's remake. After Carpenter's I had planned on Planet Of The Apes and the Star Wars Trilogy, but found myself cutting them without a second thought upon realising the mood of Carpenter's The Thing. It really got me ready for Alien. POTA and SWT just didn't fit after it.

This is an interesting dynamic, I suppose. I wasn't scared of The Thing in the sense of jump out of my seat...it scares me more because it's unsettling and somewhat of a mindgame. The character degradation is quite disturbing, because they're slipping into savagery. [spoiler]When Nauls (sp?) cuts McReady loose and the door handle begins turning, Windows asks "What if we wrong about him?" (referring to McReady). Childs replies in a very animalistic tone and growl, "THEN WE'RE WRONG..."[/spoiler]

That's fantastic characterization and progression. These guys are going mad to the point of willing to kill [spoiler] an innocent man in an attempt to save themselves. However, it's arguable if McReady isn't as...Thing-Free as we're led to believe. Hell, the shredded clothing could very well have been the real McReady's...something to think about it. Of course, McReady?s blood doesn?t have a reaction during the hot wire test?but?The Thing is an intelligent creature?hmmm?I?ll have to look into that.[/spoiler]

Anyway, The Thing is what I call ?intelligent horror.? It doesn?t use some cheesy guy in a mask, it doesn?t feature loads of voluptuous women getting stabbed. Carpenter?s The Thing is really a character study of the human condition under stress and paranoia. I?d say it is closer to the Cold War and Cloak and Dagger edge than Howard Hawks?s 50s original. In the 50s version, the enemy was visible. The objective was clear and there were no questions about who was on which side. It was ?good vs evil,? keeping in with the general theme of that era.

Carpenter?s remake, however, there is no set ?good? and really, come to think of it, ?evil? becomes a blurred motivation. Granted, the monster is evil, no doubt about it, but the humans fighting against this [spoiler]shape-shifter[/spoiler] are not the clear-cut ?good? of the original. They all exhibit primal urges and dark savage desires. They do not seem much better than the dogs of the movie?come to think of it, the dogs are the only truly good and innocent features of the film.

[spoiler]The American dogs only wished to survive and more attempted to escape rather than fight. One dog bites away at the fencing when The Thing reveals itself.

And even acknowledging the dogs as innocent brings up an aspect of the film that few would enjoy. Even the innocent animals are ingested and assimilated by The Thing.[/spoiler]

In essence, corrupted?one might even say?transformed into evil.

I think that interpretation of The Thing is pretty damn accurate. Carpenter?s The Thing is a sci-fi, yes, but its roots of story are far deeper than just a marauding monster killing people. Its story is a tale of character degradation under stress and transformation into evil and savagery. Quite notable when you examine it. At first I wrote off Carpenter?s remake as ?eh, another sci-fi. Pretty cool but not mind-blowing.? But after a few repeated viewings, oh yeah?it?s ridiculously good.

• 2 weeks later...