OtakuBoards

Private/Catholic Schools...

Epitome

Ironically, I never turned to Christ until [i]after[/i] I had been away from Christian private schools for a number of years.

Of course, I doubt seriously that public school [i]helped[/i]. I don't like either. I'd prefer to be home schooled.

-Justin

i Hate catholic school. i'm in one now, and the work is so friggin' hectic. do you know i got in trouble there for reading Chobits? friggin chobits for cryin' out loud! at least in a public school i could read and fight and not be bothered...

[size=1]As I'm from the Republic of Ireland, not the North, [I]I'm not saying anything against it, but I have to say Republic to re-enforce my point[/I] the vast majority of the Primary and Secondary schools are indeed Catholic (about 90%).

I've been attending co-ed Catholic schools since 4 years of age and have enjoyed almost all of my time there in. I'm just after entering my 5th year of Secondary education so I've been in school for almost 13 years, all Catholic educated. To make a surprising statement the school is no longer run by Religious Nuns as it once was but rather a Layman Principle who still requires the teaching and celebration of the Catholic Faith.

Our school doesn't attempt brainwashing and allows those of no Catholic faith to just not participate in discussions or classes regarding Religion if they do not wish. We have odd days of Mass to celebrate stuff but it's no more than an hour to an hour and a half so it's not that long.

The rules for uniform are pretty enforced but not Military style, so there is some slack depending on the teacher involved. This year however there has been some odd new rules introduced such as the Girls and Lads are not allowed to speak or walk together outside of class, which has caused some comments about homosexuality in the school.

The students have a Student Council (which I headed last year) which allows them to voice their opinions straight to the Principle or Vice Principle regarding issues of importance and more often than not they listen and have some concern for the well being of the students.

Overall I like my school very much as there are good teachers who genuinely give a damn about there students futures and try and make them the best they can be.[/size]

[color=silver][size=1]If I could live my life over, and chose my own form of education, based on my experiences thus far, I would actually [b]prefer[/b] to go to a private school.

Private, [b]not[/b] Catholic.

My private school of choice, McDonogh, instilled strong work ethics into it's students, and drove them to reach their full potential.

In the 2oo3 graduating class, 8o% of the students had achieved full scholarships to the top schools in the country.

My cousin attened McDonogh since second grade, so I knew quite a few of the students myself.

It was amazing to see people that I'd known since their 8th grade year, walk proudly down the grassy hill, and to hear the Headmaster announce their scholarships to Harvard, Princeton, Duke, Yale, etc.

Of course, McDonogh was thousands a year, costing the same as many small colleges. Only the rich and powerful need apply.

Therefor, I've been in public school my entire life.

My boyfriend, Adam, is now in his third year at DeMatha Catholic High School. He has been in Catholic Schools his entire life.

I often feel like I've been deprived when talking to Carrie or Adam about my school work. Subject matter that I am learning this year, in 1oth grade, they've known since Middle School. I feel very under privileged.

It is too late for me to enroll in McDonogh, and I would never survive in Catholic school, due to my blatant hatred of religion.

So I'll spend the rest of my high school years, being mentally raped and deprived in public school.[/color][/size]

i just startedto go to a nondenominational private school that is coed. I just started year 10. The school is cool. I go on schloarship ( i,m kinda smart) and anyway the only difference between it and my old public school is that its too preppy for my taste. I see nothin wrong with it. If u guys's parents want u to go to a private school tell them to send u to a non denominational one.

I was in a Catholic school from kindergarden to eighth grade, in two different schools. I don't really remember the first one, because I was only in it for Kindergarden. I've gone to another one all through grade school. I never had any problems with teachers, or brainwashing. We did have a religion class, and went to Mass on Fridays, but they didn't try to brainwash us. They just had rules like "no innapropriate actions in class" and stuff. Which consisted of making out and anything else in that direction. It was really kinda relaxed. The big difference between it and a public school was that my graduating class had 14 kids, and we had to wear a uniform. Which wasn't really that bad.

Luckily, my school was co-ed. And I'm finding the academics in grade school were harder than now, in high school. My sister's in 7th grade, and she gets more homework than me. lol.

I've been at a private school since kindergarten and i've really liked it. I was with the same class for 9 years so you eventually know and are friends with everyone which is good and bad in its own ways but i've never had a problem with going to a private school, the only bad part is you have to wear ugly hot uniforms....