OtakuBoards

Hooray for Indie Bands!

Evil Pancakes

The Dandy Warhols (I feel so bohemian like you, and I feel, wah-oh, WHOO!)
The Coral (The best thing to happen to guitar music in the last three years)
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (Just released their new album 'Take Them on, on Your Own'. Have a single called "Stop" out right now)
The White Stripes (No explanation needed, I hope)
The Strokes (Rejoice, for the new album is soon to appear!)
Travis (Excellent band with a tendency to get soaked. Try out the song "Sing")
The Polyphonic Spree (Good vibes choral symphonic pop band that will make you love and feel good about the world. Or the sun, more specifically)
Coldplay (Beautiful music, voice, and lyrics to soothe your soul)
Electric Six (Great band with hilarious names [i.e. The Rock-n-Roll Indian, Dick Valentine], fun music and hysterical lyrics. Made it big in the U.K. with their single 'Gay Bar'. See below)
The Datsuns (Neck cracking RNR from a band that know how to play their guitars fast, and do it too)
The Thrills (Sunshine band. Try One Horse Town)
Har Mar Superstar (Okay... so he's a bit creepy. WARNING: NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART)
The Flaming Lips (More lovely songs that sound as though they're being sung by sock puppets. Try out the album 'Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots')
Mew (Will calm your mind. Sit back and close your eyes)
The Darkness (Delishus glam-rock. Singer sounds a bit like Freddie Mercury)
The Libertines (Unfortunately broke up. Still, their new album 'Up the Bracket' is wonderful)
Junior Senior (Father-son duo with hit single "Move Your Feet")
The 80's Matchbox B-Line Disaster (Yes, the named themselves after a car. Wow.)
Kings of Leon (I can't say it well enough... so.. Ahem: "Youth & Young Manhood is a classic debut. Fresh, vibrant and wiry, it might reactivate a template pioneered by The Strokes, but it does so with a personality of its own. More Creedence Clearwater than The Velvet Underground.")
Radiohead (The legend. The politcal pioneers. They are perfection.)
The Mooney Suzuki (I recommend 'In a Young Man's Mind')
Royksopp (Ah, nostalgia...)
Sigur Ros (Icelandic band that make the most inspiring music I have ever heard)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Sexiest female singer voice. Ever. Wacked out music you can't hear anywhere else. There's nothing like them)

Meh... That's enuff for now. Any other Indie fans? Share your experiences, other favourite similar bands, ect.

Hey you left out some of my favorites:

Modest Mouse; my fav band of all time even if they signed to a major label. Like Built to Spill but better

Jets to Brazil; awesome singer from Jawbreaker but only the first album (orange rhyming dictionary) is worth buying

Bright Eyes; wailing teenager on antidepressants

Cub Country; maybe more of an alt. country band

Really though thats quite a list, any band in particular you'd recommend as I've only heard a few of them.

I don't even know what indie is considered anymore. I used to think it was just small bands on independent labels, but it can't be since so many of the ones people name are on bigger labels. Sure they might have started on smaller ones, but most bands do in the first place. It's obviously not a specific sound either, since the Datsuns sound totally different from the Flaming Lips, as anyone interested would know. So eh. I'm not a fan of categorizing anyway, good music is good music.

I know and like most of the ones mentioned so far. Modest Mouse is one of my favorite bands. It's sad that most people seemed to forget them after Dramamine. The same with Flaming Lips and that Vaseline song, whose name escapes me for some reason.

[size=1] But Tony, you forgot possibly the best Indie Band ever!

Or I suppose, from what I've seen, that is what they have been labeled.

The Pixies, of course! Heh.

Stormy Weather indeed.

I seriously do not know what is "Indie" in the first place. O.o. It seems like some word some guy made up.

[b]Guy:[/b] I need to come up with some friggin crazy horse for a genre. Something that really shows the home pride.
[b]Assitant of Guy:[/b] Well Jimminy Crickets, sir, I think you should really do that. Music is going down the toilet for it's genres. You've got Rap, Pop, Rock. It's so lame.
[b]Son of Guy:[/b] Thinking I am that is this idea good. Dreaming am I that this idea good to the masses appeals.
[b]Guy, after thinking long:[/b] I think I finally have it!

Guy jumps up out of his chair like a crazed barber. All around him lay the intricate workings of his mind all cluttered and claimed.

The papers blow in the air like a cool wind, as if each one has somehow found its way to heaven, but ended up fallen and broken and came to hell instead.

But there is one paper in his hand. He holds it high and large as he stares and cajoles and screams.

[b]Guy:[/b] Indie Rock sounds like something God would be proud of. Sounds something like...like, well, like Indians. And Indiana. And...YES! We are so going global with this![/size]

I have to agree with the whole hard to characterize indie as anything specific idea, people just kinda have to know what you're talking about. We did that on the Punk/Avril post too. My problem is when people ask me what kind of music I listen to. What do you guys say when people ask? Back in the Pearl Jam/ Nirvana era I would say Alternative music but that term pretty much fell apart. Indie? Rock and Roll? I utterly have no classification, usually amounts to me spouting off band names that people haven't heard of.

Yeah, well, I just had to label it as something so people would actually be interested in it. I couldn't do "Hooray for pop/rock/indie-slightly RnR/symphonic/guitar/mixed genre ect. bands!"
Most of those bands are Indie, though, and some others are just a lot of my favourite not-very-well-known bands.
And judging by your own tastes, Satan, I would recommend BRMC, My Morning Jacket, and Kings of Leon. And I think you should try the Yeah Yeah Yeahs... since they're just... er... great.

Ah... How could I have forgotten The Pixies? ~*wacks self over the head*~ And I just saw them live a few months ago... With Everclear, unfortunately >.<

[color=green]Double-posting is not allowed. I combined your two posts into one. Next time, instead of posting twice in a row, just add onto a post with the Edit button.
--Manic[/color]

The Pixies broke up before Everclear even formed itself in 1992, when one of the members placed an ad. The four members of the Pixies had never even gotten back together to just play, let alone throw a concert or reunion show. They recently just started playing again this year for fun on their own time, although the band isn't back together .

It's possible you're thinking of Frank Black and the Catholics or even the Breeders, but I don't know how they'd ever be confused... especially if you were at the show in person. I am not sure what bands they have toured with. The last big band they toured with as U2, and that was around the release of Trompe Le Monde.

So I don't know what tour you've seen, but Everclear has never played with the Pixies. Unless something bizarre happened that I've never heard of and apparently was never recorded into any site that search engines pick up... It didn't happen.

Especially a few months ago... Which leads me to believe, it's Black and the Catholics, if anything. They recently put some new material out, and they do play a lot of Pixies covers.

[color=blue]I wouldn't really consider Radiohead an indie band.
I would have to say you forgot one of the best ones...Smashing Pumpkins. Go out and buy Gish..all of you, right now.
They described themselves as being an indie band, and every member of hat band, especially Billy and Jimmy can play their instruments like there is no tomorrow.
Go the Pumpkins![/color]

According to me Travis aren't really Indie either, I always thought they were the definition of the new kind of britpop. But yeah, I suppose I don't really know what Indie is then... Come to think of it, Eastern Lane, are they Indie too? They're very good.

lol, s ok, it's not like i really know a lot about indie
and besides, isn't it weird to classify bands by the label they're signed on? it doesn't really say anything about the music then i guess... oh well. i like most of the bands you named so i guess there are similarities between em.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by satan665 [/i]
[B]Back in the Pearl Jam/ Nirvana era I would say Alternative music but that term pretty much fell apart. Indie? Rock and Roll? I utterly have no classification, usually amounts to me spouting off band names that people haven't heard of. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Since that is the era of music that I happen to thrive in, I just call it the "Early 90's/Circa 1992" rock. I usually include my bands like STP, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, the Pumpkins, etc. Even though they may not be exactly in that time frame, that's just when I remember MYSELF getting into them. Good times.[/color][/size]

Man... in all the trouble I took to save best for last, I forgot them altogether.
The Music--- A band that really and truly lives up to their name. I'm glad they snagged it before anyone else could. They have been compared to Led Zeppelin, John Squire, The Stones Roses, and many more, but their sound is unique in itself. Their self-titled debut album is amazing...
Well about a third of the bands on that list are pretty new, so you couldn't have been able to... Since we're on the subject, go check them out! ^.^ I'm a little crazy on the street-team thing...

I checked out Black rebel motorcycle club and Kings of Leon just recently. I was pretty impressed, both pretty solid CD's. The BRMC new album slows down a little too much at the end though, but not enough to hurt it overall. Thanks for the reccommendations!!

Hs anyone ever heard of the band Serafin? The only place I've heard them is on the Madden 2004 soundtrack (weird place to find bands) but I don't think they have a US release at all yet. Anyway they sound really good for the one song I've heard so far. Its a Brittish band, I assume they will release a CD in the states.

Since the Pixies (best band ever, by the way) were mentioned, I feel I should pass on the news.

The band is supposedly getting back together (according to a band spokesperson and numerous others) this April. They plan on having a tour, and a new studio album might follow.

I'm still mixed on this. I want to see the Pixies live before I die... but at the same time I'm scared about how it might turn out.

GO! I wasn't sure if I should go to Radiohead's concert because I had lawn tickets and thought it would be terrible, but turns out lawn was the best place to be, especially front row lawn! I was forever thankful to myself thereafter... It was the greatest concert ever.
A concert's a concert, it'll always be good!
(Hi, my name is Ronnie, and I am a concert addict)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by satan665 [/i]
[B]Hs anyone ever heard of the band Serafin? The only place I've heard them is on the Madden 2004 soundtrack (weird place to find bands) but I don't think they have a US release at all yet. Anyway they sound really good for the one song I've heard so far. Its a Brittish band, I assume they will release a CD in the states. [/B][/QUOTE]

I love them! Well, for what I've heard of them that is... I only know three or four songs, but they're really, really good :) . If you don't know em, I suggest you download Day by Day or Sage Waits, I like those best.