OtakuBoards

Metal music. What do you recommend?

Geist

Dysfunction and Tormented have a couple of the same songs (well some have slightly different spellings), and I can't really say that Tormented does those songs any better. Dysfunction is just so much more well thought out and so much more polished than Tormented could ever have hoped to be.

Tormented also has a lot of odd qualities to it. I remember some guitar parts and such that just seemed out of place... and I remember some spoken as well as lyrical parts in the songs that were just [i]too[/i] mobid and depressing. To the point that they just sounded kind of funny.

Dysfunction fixed all those problems, and is a surprisingly good CD. It's my favorite from them, although I honestly don't listen to them much at all anymore.

I just need to come in here to say, if you are checking out Slipknot. The best stuff is their OLD stuff from Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat. It's so much better than anything else they've done.

Do Nothing/Bitchslap
Dogfish Rising

Those are my 2 favorites currently. Other than that, most of the good stuff has been mentioned.

*walks away*

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dogfish [/i]
[B]I just need to come in here to say, if you are checking out Slipknot. The best stuff is their OLD stuff from Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat. It's so much better than anything else they've done.

Do Nothing/Bitchslap
Dogfish Rising

Those are my 2 favorites currently. Other than that, most of the good stuff has been mentioned.

*walks away* [/B][/QUOTE]

Listen to this man. He knows what he is talking about.

Slipknot's self-titled is decent. Personally I hated Iowa... but MFKR is just really damn good. It makes me sad to see what they've become compared to what they were. They've almost debased themselves.

Back then they had almost a Mr. Bungle quality to them. They'd go from lounge music to just straight out insane metal. What happened to these guys?

In any case, I agree with the choice on Do Nothing. Great song.

You're not going to be able to buy this CD unless you want a copy or are willing to spend a lot on eBay. It was limited in supply. It's all over P2P programs though.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shibatku [/i]
[B]There's is a cd out that's a mix of great bands and songs. It's called, "Facedown Family". It's great. It has hard metal and some punk at the end of the cd. It's actually not to bad for a 5 dollar cd. [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't just check out there compilation CD go one step further and check out just about any band on Facedown Records. Bands such sa Symphony In Peril and Nodes of Ranvier are just a few of the bands that are on this label. Other metal/hardcore labels (and bands) that are worth checking out are: Solid State Records (ZAO, Norma Jean), Trustkill Records (Poision the Well, .hopesfall.), Century Media Records (Blind Guardian, Extol, many other European metal bands), and Metal Blade Records (As I Lay Dying, Spock's Beard). I could tell you quite a few more but here's is a good list of "bigger?" labels and bands to check out if you like metal/hardcore.

[COLOR=TEAL][SIZE=1][B][list]
[U]Metallica[/U] - Very good band, can't go wrong with them
[U]Dream Theater[/U] - Never heard them *Notes to download*
[U]Queens Of The Stone Age[/U] - Quite a few good songs
[U]Down[/U] - Never heard them *Notes to download*
[U]Mastodon[/U] - Never heard them *Notes to download*
[U]Sevendust[/U] - Never heard them *Notes to download*
[U]Pig Destroyer[/U] - Never heard them *Notes to download*
[U]Cradle of Filth[/U] - Their okay I guess, a few good songs I'd say
[U]Deftones[/U] - I think I've heard them and they were good
[U]Mudvayne[/U] - Never heard them *Notes to download*
[U]Disturbed[/U] - I love this band! :D 'The Sickness' is a very good album and 'The Game' is one of thier best tracks
[U]Coal Chamber[/U] - Heard at least one of their songs and it was very good
[U]Staind[/U] - Good band to start on I guess, helps you move on to better stuff
[/list][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

I like P.o.d. and 12 Stones, stuff like that.
Relient K and The Newsboys. Some of the lyrics are: "Cause I'm broken you know I need you now, deep inside I'm broken, you see the way I am, I'm broken, others turn away, but even though I'm broken, I see the light of day." -12 Stones. That song is sooo cool!