OtakuBoards

Metal music. What do you recommend?

Geist

[COLOR=blue]
I'm a fan of metal, but I've really only listened to Guano Apes and a little bit of Rammstein. Pathetic huh? Do you have any new or old bands that you would recommend? here's the list of what I'm thinking about looking into right now.

[U][B]Metal List[/U]

Iron Maiden
Metallica
Dream Theater
Queens Of The Stone Age
Down
Mastodon
Sevendust
Pig Destroyer
Cradle of Filth
Deftones
Mudvayne
Disturbed
Coal Chamber
Staind

[U]Other[/U]

Powerman 5000
Tool
AFI
The Used[/B]

So if you can, tell me what you think of these bands or others. ([B]And please don't just list your favorite bands. Tell me why you like them, describe their style, and point out any great CDs of theirs.

[CENTER][I]Did that sound too demanding? Sorry.[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[/COLOR]

I don't think I'd put Tool, AFI or The Used in the metal category. Tool is the only thing in there close to it, but when I think of metal it's definitely not that sound.

It depends mostly on the type of sound you want. There's the mostly crappy nu-metal bands that are/were on the radio, ballads like in the case of Dream Theater, old school stuff like Iron Maiden or Megadeth, darker stuff like Opeth or Cradle of Filth. There's also hardcore, which in my opinion is simliar enough that it should be mentioned. I'm being loose with the genre grouping, so hopefully someone won't jump on me about that.

So I don't really know where to tell you to start.

Nu-Metal... There's always System of a Down. They're better than most of those groups like them out right now. Toxicity and their self titled are both very good albums. Toxicity is a bit more polished, and I don't like it quite as much.

Dream Theater probably won't be what you're expecting. They sometimes even have classical music worked into their songs. They are amazing at what they do though, so I think they are worth checking out. They actually have a new album coming out soon.

Iron Maiden is also far cooler than they get credit for. Their self-titled is one of the better metal albums ever made, I think. They recently released a disc called Dance of Death, I believe. I've heard some of it, it's not too bad. Motorhead and Megadeth would also fit into this category. More old school stuff.

Then there's Pantera. I'm not into them as much as I used to be, but they're quite good. Anything other than Reinventing the Steel is worth checking out. Down is another band, which has some of the same members. I actually prefer them to Pantera as they're a bit more melodic. They have a Black Sabbath style about their sound.

Then there is Dog Fashion Disco, American Head Charge and a few others that I randomly like. I think they do what they do rather well...

I'm not really into this stuff as much anymore though. I've not kept up on it in years because I'm tired of the yelling and the wall of noise they provide. Someone like Ken would probably be better suited to helping you since he's into that stuff.

[color=crimson][b]Mastodon[/b] can be classified as Heavy Metal- the real genre, not the broad term for the general sound. They are still reletively unknown outside of people who have taste for metal, so retain that great freshness aspect. Vocals are a constant, heavy scream from word to word- not an annoying scream however, a more emotional one. You can feel the energy comeing off of it- it is choice. Their musical sound ranges from slow, whimsical guitar ballads to heavy, extreme earbusters. If I could reccomend a song to you I would reccomend 'Mother Puncher' and 'Elephant Man'.

[b]Pig Destroyer[/b] is a bit darker and louder than Mastodon. Their lyrics are awesome, however, somewhat fragmented with hidden meanings sometimes. Vocals are the same, generic screaming- not as emotional or 'heartfelt' as Mastodon's sometime, but I do not expect much in this genre. Their guitars remain brutal- almost always, honestly. Pissed off? This band is great. The drummer also does a very fine job as well, meshing the sound together for a package I can only reccomend. A good song is "Piss Angel", another called "Hyperviolet".

[b]Sevendust[/b] is popular, I know. "They are also mainly hard rock, Ken." That is a halftruth. The older the album, the harder the sound. Their debut self-titled album is a very good all-around metal album, with vocals that are not laden with screams of death and pain- ... in general, that is. Home also has a few good metal songs, but of course- the more present you get, the more soft tracks there seem to be. Not neccesarily bad, but more of a warning to those that live under rocks.

[b]Deftones[/b]- Whatever people say, I enjoy the Deftones sound. They have varying genres in their songs, but the metal ones are the best. You must have heard their sound, so I will not bore you to death with details. I reccomend songs like "Change (In The House of Flies)" or "Bloody Cape". "Battle-Axe".

I could give you more if you want.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]

Then there's Pantera. I'm not into them as much as I used to be, but they're quite good. Anything other than Reinventing the Steel is worth checking out. Down is another band, which has some of the same members. I actually prefer them to Pantera as they're a bit more melodic. They have a Black Sabbath style about their sound.
[/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue][size=1]"Official Live: 101 Proof" is their best album, in my opinion. That live version of "Becoming" is probably one of my favorite songs of all time.[/size][/color]

Metallica's newer music isn't as hard as their old stuff... songs like "The Unforgiven II" and "Nothing Else Matters" are more slower and smoother, still heavy in the rock category, but comparing them and their other new music to their old stuff, like "Don't Tread On Me" and "The God That Failed", makes it softer. Check out some of their older music though if you're looking for some good, heavy rock music.

There's Pantera, they've always been solid. All their songs are pretty heavy, though "Re-Inventing The Steel" isn't a good song to start off with. Very different from their normal genre...

Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Queens Of The Stone-Age, all have good music beside them. Nirvana can be alright... they've got alot of great songs, though I wouldn't leap into them if you're looking for "heavy metal" stuff.

[color=darkblue][size=1]I've always loved Metallica's "Dyer's Eve". It's on the "...And Justice For All" CD, I believe, though I couldn't swear to it. It's one of the few songs that describes my relationship with my parents perfectly.

God! If only I had my Metallica and Pantera CDs back again.

Oh, if you want to hear something really crazy, you should watch the live Slayer home video with "213" on it. You're just like "Whoa, that guy is really sick." Slayer is another kick-*** metal band.

I don't know if y'all would consider this metal, but Guns n' Roses kills me every time. I die when I hear them, and then they bring me back to life. That Axl. What a dumb little punk. He sure can belt out the tones, though.

Many people say that the beginning of metal was due to Led Zepplin. Though I would not categorize them as metal these days, they are worth a listen. I think I have their whole first CD memorized. After that, it's kind of a blur. Zepplin does that to ya.

If DK mentions Cradle of Filth while I'm gone, somebody smack him for me. When I downloaded and listened to the song he suggested, I felt like I was being possessed by demons. I ran to my room and hid under the covers.[/size][/color]

If you are looking for heavy metal/Rock, I would suggest NOTHINGFACE! They are similar to Slipknot and Mudvayne but they also have their nice songs(not full of anarchy:P)

Mudvayne is a really good band because they are hardcore but then go to softer songs that make a lot of sence. Especially from their NEW Cd. A World So Cold is a song I would recommend off their new cd. "Dig" I suggest u download from their older cd.

Slipknot is an amazing band. I have always loved them. Their drummer, Joey Jordison, is my role model because im a drummer and he is the LEGEND of drumming:P. They have 3 cd's(1 albumtaken off stores:MFKR). Their best songs are from Iowa, their newest album. They are currently recording a new album! cant wait:P

If You are into Heavy rock then Powerman 5000 is perfect. "Bombshell", "When Worlds Collide" and others are really good songs from them.

Theres also Linkin Park who have been around for a while. They are more Rock/Hiphop. Still a VERY good band!

Sorry if this is a bit long:P just givin ya ideaz;)

Haha, Bombshell is awesome. So is "Wake Up".

AFI - Punk Rock

Powerman 5000 - Techno rock. Wee.

Deftones - Again, yes, but it's nice. "Elite", "Change", "Head Up", etc. Ultra cool in my opinion.

Then the complimentary Slipknot, KoRn [older], Sevendust, Drowning Pool, Coal Chamber, Staind, Disturbed, Machine Head, Static-X, Stabbing Westward, and my new top-list band, SOIL.

[I got all that from glancing at my Music folder.]

My current recommendation is "Need To Feel" by SOIL. It's a pretty good song. Not very hard, but it's catchy.

Guest Anime_Forever
I love heavy Metal. I recommend, Disturbed, Slipknot, Linkin Park, System of a Down, and many more... but the best is Linkin Park. Oh yeah and if you like Anti Flag they have one song where the whole video is gruesom anime scenes.

[size=1] System of a Down. Metallica. Rotting Christ. Acid Bath (not exactly metal, but not exactly anything else either). Mm.

I'd say Tool and Alice In Chains are more like Grunge, or whatever. But they definitely have some metal affluences and influences.

Deftones. Mm.

That's about all.[/size]

[color=blue]
Well, that list should last me a while. Thanks everyone, you've been a great help. One more question. Does anyone know of some bands that aren't exactly mainstream? Where I live, everyone listens to Linkin Park, Tool, and Pantera. Thanks.
[/color]

Listen to Thrice! They have so many good songs.

[i]Buy[/i] the CDs: "First Impressions," "Identity Crisis," "Illusion of Safety" and "The Artist in the Ambulance."

I think my favorite songs by them are [i]Identity Crisis, T & C[/i], and [i]See You in the Shallows.[/i]

If you want to get into Metallica my favorite album is Master of Puppets (so you should buy it... now). If you want some really dark, raw, metal I would recommend Decapitated and Carcass (those are 2 bands). I would also stay away from most of the the nu-metal bands.

[size=1]Poison. Lots and lots of Poison, lol. Good older style metal. I do not really know what else there could be to say about them, but I do reccomend them since so far no one else has mentioned them.[quote][i]Originally posted by Lady Macaiodh[/i]
[b][color=darkblue]If DK mentions Cradle of Filth while I'm gone, somebody smack him for me. When I downloaded and listened to the song he suggested, I felt like I was being possessed by demons. I ran to my room and hid under the covers.[/color][/b][/quote]Heh, that happned to me too... except I did not hide under any covers. I simply stood in awe of the vocal range of Danny Filth.[/size]

Guest eva unit 00
if non mainstream is what you want then try gwar thier stuff seems to change randomly between songs and some of the best are: nitro burnin funny bong, happy death day, what would brian boitano do, meat sandwich and ham on the bone.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Geist [/i]
[B][COLOR=blue]

[U]Metal List[/U]

Staind

[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]You're looking down the right track.

You know how you get these bands that have no music what-so-ever, except for the radio hits, you hear ten times a day?

And then there's these bands that you hear of, and you've never heard a song from them in your life.

Staind is both, though they're not... They have a few radio hits, such as "Outside" and "It's Been A While", though they're not like the normal radio hits; they don't get annoying after a while. These two songs are awesome, if you ask me.

They also have the back-scene music, the music the people who listen to nothing but the radio [i]don't[/i] hear. "Yesterday", "Mudshovel", "For You"... great songs, solid.

If you have a look at alot of their music, you'll notice that they don't have alot of the [i]happy-up-and-around[/i] music. All their music has meaning. Listen to their lyrics, then comply it with their music, and you'll know what I'm talking about. "Zoe Jane", "Blow Away"... listen to those. Lyrics and music go together perfectly.

They don't do the "truly hard solid clash bang metal" music. They have "metal" in them, though you'll have to look a few of their songs to hear it. Their music is awesome, though.

I could go on. If you haven't noticed, I love Staind, they're my favourite band, on top of all others, have been for a long while, and will be for a long time.

...how many "awesome's" did I use in there...?... :drunk:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PiroMunkie [/i]
[B][size=1]Poison. Lots and lots of Poison, lol. Good older style metal. I do not really know what else there could be to say about them, but I do reccomend them since so far no one else has mentioned them.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#993333]Poison rules, and if you are going for hair band metal don't forget the Crue!

Another group that is pretty heavy that I enjoy sometimes is Soul Fly. They have some pretty good songs (ome pretty bad ones too), but you would be better off checking out Metallica or Pantera first though...[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]I'd say that Tormented is quite a bit heavier than Dysfunction, but I don't know if that was being included when they were mentioned originally. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]I have not been able to find Tormented around here, so I could not comment on it. I assumed that it would be heavier, but you never know- heh.[/color]