Jump to content
OtakuBoards

The Dark Crystal and other Jim Henson movies


Recommended Posts

Guest TheDarkCrystal
Posted
[SIZE=1][COLOR=deeppink]Just wondering how many people still love them, despite how old they are (Dark Crystal circa 1977).

Or have people forgotten about them? I remember trying to find sites for Nites into Dreams, one of my all-time most favorite video games, and not being able to find anything, even on Yahoo![/COLOR][/SIZE]
Posted
[font=arial] I think we have The Dark Crystal...I don't think I've ever watched it; it's a fairly recent acquisition.

I do like [i]The Labyrinth,[/i] though. It's a weird, freaky little movie, but I'm fond of it. The Firies (or whatever...the fire-bird-dancer-thingies) freak me out, though.

I like whatsisface. Sir Didymus. Heh. There's some good songs, too.[/font]
Posted
Labyrinth is awesome. I remember seeing an old magazine of my uncle's with Jim Henson and some of the characters from the movie on a cover. He was sitting there with his head in his lap, apparently because the movie totally flopped. I guess it just really broke his spirits and such. There seems to be a cult following behind it, though.

I don't know why though. It's awesome. I love David Bowie, so I love this movie even more. I can't think of anything I don't like about it.

They recently rereleased it as a Superbit on DVD. Superbit's have better sound and video quality over most other DVDs (although Superbit is just some trademark). The rerelease has really nice 5.1 sound, but I'm stuck with the old version... it just has two speaker stereo :( I want to hear the music on all my speakers lol.

Dark Crystal I've not seen in quite some time. I do own it on VHS though. It's very cool, but I don't think it's as good as Labyrinth.
Posted
Oh my gods... The Dark Crystal, no matter how old I get, is still one of my favourite movies of all time. I have seen it so many times... I used to watch it over and over. It was like a dream world to me or something...
Same with the Labyrinth, but I was so young I can barely remember it... I only know it was amazing. I keep reminding myself to check it out of Blockbuster but always forget... I need to see it again. Especially because of David Bowie... ~.~
Posted
The Labrynth and the Dark Crystal are a few of my favorite movies. Use to own both of them until my vcr ate The Labrynth tape.

I loved that movie more than the Dark Crystal. Now I'm trying to find it on dvd. My favorite character out of the Dark Crystal was Olgra.

I always laughed when her voice went from low to high in one sentence. My favorite chara cter out of The Labrynth is Jarreth.

Of coarse that could be because David Bowie is playing him. (David Bowie rocks)
Posted
The Dark Crystal originally really scared me, and it still does to an extent. It's really good, but the creatures, voices, music and just the general atmosphere of it was very dark. I think it's about as close to a semi live-action anime that you can get, hee ^_^

The Labyrinth has been one of my all-time favourite films. I loved the songs especially. I still sing them from time to time, if I'm on my own ^_^ I almost bought the soundtrack the other day, too. I hadn't realised it flopped- I thought it was really popular *shrugs* Ah well. What do people know?

I'm sure there have been other Jim Henson films, but I can't remember what they were. I think those were the best two, at any rate.
Posted
Those are two great movies!!! I love the setting and characters in The Dark Crystal. It has a much more serious tone than Labyrinth. I think i prefer the Dark crystal, simply for the fact that I prefer darker, more seious movies, I love them both, though ;)

As for other Jim Henson films, don't forget such greats as The Muppets take Manhattan and The Great Muppet Caper. The amout of really famous people they get to do cameos in Muppet movies is fantastic.
Posted
Och, Dark Crystal rules, although as Solo said it originally really scared me. Me only being very young at the time. Those Sketsies (sp?) we really creepy, especially that outcast one *shudders*. I really liked it...I need to find it again, I wonder if i have it on tape *muses*. To tell you the truth I have only seen parts of Labyrinth, I haven't seen it all the way through. Anything with David Bowie in it get's my vote though ^_~.
Guest TheDarkCrystal
Posted
[SIZE=1][COLOR=deeppink]According to the Book of Habidad (Dark Crystal site), the Skeksis use to look glorious and strong, but as time went on, thier true natures rotted their outer shells.

They scared me a lot when I was younger, too! I think they would have been even more scary, though, if they had spoken the way they were supposed to.

In the origional version of the film, the Skeksis spoke their own language, which was a mix between ancient greek and ancient egyptian. Sounded really freaky. After showing it to a test audiance, though, they changed the voices so they spoke English. In the book, though, they still speak that same language.

Jim Henson's idea was 'Thra isn't Earth, the Skeksis aren't human, so why should they speak English?'

Oh, it's Aughra, not Olgra. I liked her too! She swears at the Skeksis in their own language in the origonal version and in the book.

And I love the Labyrinth! It's one of the greatest movies ever! David Bowie is so kawaii![/COLOR][/SIZE]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by TheDarkCrystal [/i]
[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=deeppink]David Bowie is so kawaii![/COLOR][/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE] [FONT=arial].........

That's really not something I expected to see, heh.[/FONT]
Posted
Awa god...when was the last time I saw the dark Crystal?! Mabey 4 years ago? yeah but I loved the costumes and such. I drew some of my first good pics of charachters from that movie....and the Muppets! Oh man when I was a kid I loved anything to do with the muppets! I watched the movies and tv shows. The songs were always awsome too. I love "rainbow connection". I really liked the mupet babies a lot. I would watch them on nick jr. when I came home from preschool everyday. Dose any body remember that show any way? The oringle Muppet Show from what I remember was really funny. They always had celebrity guest on and such...I mean wasn't it on during prime time at one point?
Posted
Yes! Yes I remember! I used to watch baby muppets ALL THE TIME! I loved that show to pieces... And I loved anything muppets, especially the one called something like "muppet island"... Can't remember, but I know I watched that one loads of times. At the beginning the two old men that made fun of the show with lame jokes bugged me because I thought they were being rude, but later on they became my favourite characters! :| Omigods we're growing too fast...
Posted
Wow, it's been AGES since I saw Dark Crystal.
My dad rented it for us insisting it was a great movie. We all kinda looked at him funny, but I ended up liking it. I'm not sure if I fully understood it at the time, but I thought it was pretty cool for an old movie.
Yeah, I grew up lovin' the muppets! What was the other one? The Fraggles? The Frazzles? something like that. I don't know.
I really liked Muppet Treasure Island and A Muppet Christmas Carol. They made the original stories much more fun.
Posted
I made Labyrinth thread a little while ago, no one really cared. im too obssessed with it for my own good. I mean look at my ava and my siggy... How I love it so. I have a glossy photo from the movie too and Im getting the movie poster soon... I know ths whole bleedin movie by heart

Dark Crystal came out in 1982 , just clarifying if no one already said it.
I love Jin Henson, I thought he was a genius. With Dark Crystal and Labyrinth, they were both so evolutionary. Using such life like puppets.

i read in Entertainment weekly that a new Henson movie is coming out sometime next year, i think it was about a carnival. But I saw a pic from it and it looks really pretty.
Posted
It's amazing how many obvious drug references there are in The Labyrinth, though. Just look at those crazy feather birds that threw their limbs around, and David Bowie's character... Well, anything he says there, practically.
I don't know, my friends and I like to look for hidden meanings in children's movies. You should hear my Peter Pan interpretation.
Posted
I wanna here it...
I didnt think there were really any drug references in Laby though.... I think its just supposed to be a trippy movie. I dont see how kids are really supposed to like it. most of it scared me as a kids. Espcieally those damn Fierys!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...