OtakuBoards

Ninja

scrmngfangrl

Well the only thing I know is that REAL ninjas work for the government. They existed in China in the 1700's and early 1800's. The have a extremely short sword which they hold upside down( For instance, if you stick a sword in the ground, pick it up without twisting your wrist. ) Their death blow is to jump into the air, stap their apponent in the chest. Corksrew half flip over the opponent and stab him/her through the neck. The only way to block this ultimate blow is to grab the sword, which the blade is facing the ninja.

I hope that helped.

~Xaru.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Xaru Silverfire [/i]
[B]Well the only thing I know is that REAL ninjas work for the government. They existed in China in the 1700's and early 1800's. The have a extremely short sword which they hold upside down( For instance, if you stick a sword in the ground, pick it up without twisting your wrist. ) Their death blow is to jump into the air, stap their apponent in the chest. Corksrew half flip over the opponent and stab him/her through the neck. The only way to block this ultimate blow is to grab the sword, which the blade is facing the ninja.

I hope that helped.

~Xaru. [/B][/QUOTE]

Heh, thats a funny reply! Really! I like the death-blow part. Did you make that up yourself?

No, really you could just google "ninja". From what I understand, Ninja is short for the martial art, Ninjutsu. They began around the 6th century, but their golden era was actually around the 15th century, shogun times. What made the ninja deadly was the very seclusive art that they practiced. They worked as spies for samurai and shogun. The sword Xaru was talking about was probably the ninja-to, much like the samurai sword, but about half the length. The ninja relied on stealth to get their work done, either espionage, or assasination. The ninja also used a myriad of weapons, spiked boots (Ashiko), blowguns (fukiya), daggers (tanto), you name it. Oh, an Ninja are traditionally a japanese origionated group, not chinese.

Edit: by government, do you mean the U.S gov't? If so, i think these "ninjas" are CIA: Non-commisioned operatives. Note, don't say CIA "agent", that's like calling a football player a waterboy. CIA "agents" are citizens of other countries found by CIA operatives, turned against their own nation and sent to spy on their own government, giving the information to our NOCs. Hope that helped as well :)

I once had a kid tell me I was stupid because I said ninja were Japanese in origin and not Chinese. He was a "smart" upperclassman, I guess... pfft. I guess having a Chinese girlfriend made him well versed in the ways of the ninja.

I think the best thing you can do is refer to the plural of ninja as "ninja" and not "ninjas". I think it makes you look a bit more credible. The Japanese don't differentiate between plural and singular versions of words, from what I understand. Same with "anime" and "manga".

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Drix D'Zanth [/i]
[B]Heh, thats a funny reply! Really! I like the death-blow part. Did you make that up yourself?

No, really you could just google "ninja". From what I understand, Ninja is short for the martial art, Ninjutsu. They began around the 6th century, but their golden era was actually around the 15th century, shogun times. What made the ninja deadly was the very seclusive art that they practiced. They worked as spies for samurai and shogun. The sword Xaru was talking about was probably the ninja-to, much like the samurai sword, but about half the length. The ninja relied on stealth to get their work done, either espionage, or assasination. The ninja also used a myriad of weapons, spiked boots (Ashiko), blowguns (fukiya), daggers (tanto), you name it. Oh, an Ninja are traditionally a japanese origionated group, not chinese.

Edit: by government, do you mean the U.S gov't? If so, i think these "ninjas" are CIA: Non-commisioned operatives. Note, don't say CIA "agent", that's like calling a football player a waterboy. CIA "agents" are citizens of other countries found by CIA operatives, turned against their own nation and sent to spy on their own government, giving the information to our NOCs. Hope that helped as well :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry... ^.^ I got the dates wrong. It was the actually mid 7th century that they began (They ended in the 19th century.) The ninja sword was nothing like the samurai sword. It was less quality because they rarely used it in a battle. The death blow I did not make up. It is said they when they were noticed, they used that to eliminate their opponent. They were much weaker than samurais, so it much needed. It may be a myth, but most information about ninja are myths. For instance, becoming invisable, having the strenght of 10 men, and flying. Also the handle of the Ninja-to was longer than a samurai's because Ninja used it to store poison darts and other items. Another thing is that they mostly used poison rings to strangle their target. Ninja were said to be able to jump 10 feet into the air.... The highest now is... 7-9 feet? Some ninja didn't use a sword. Some used daggers, and their hands, wich had spikes on them. Another death blow, that I think is a myth is the Ninja who used their hands, ripped through their apponets chest and rip his or her heart out. They were said to also snap necks, crush spines and other things. The one's who used daggers were known to cut off heads.

There is a lot more info so, yeah, do a google seach or somthing.

~Xaru.

Edit: I'll fix the "ninjas"

[B]Sorry... ^.^ I got the dates wrong. It was the actually mid 7th century that they began (They ended in the 19th century.)
[/B][/QUOTE]
I forgive you :P

[B] The ninja sword was nothing like the samurai sword. It was less quality because they rarely used it in a battle.
[/B][/QUOTE]
No, the Ninja-to was almost exactly like the samurai sword, the length being the only difference. It allowed the ninja-to to be wielded with the same speed one-handed. And this was their primary weapon.

[B]The death blow I did not make up. It is said they when they were noticed, they used that to eliminate their opponent. They were much weaker than samurais, so it much needed.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Uhh yeah, I bet you saw it on TV then. When I think unblockable attack, i think ultimate corc-screw. A nice Nagitana pointed a bit over my head could easily abate the ninja's actions. Also, they weren't weaker than samurai (no s), they just killed in stealth. Samurai had a habit of meeting on open ground, duel or battlefeild. Any samurai could probably whoop a ninja hand to hand, that's why a ninja would happily slit the samurai's throat while he slept. I know I would.

[B] It may be a myth, but most information about ninja are myths. For instance, becoming invisable, having the strenght of 10 men, and flying.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Most of the info is fact. Becoming invisible... flying? Nono, that is myth if you SEARCH for that kind of junk. Ninja never claimed to fly.... You are riding on some "iron monkey' hollywood stereotype. Stop. Please.

[B] Also the handle of the Ninja-to was longer than a samurai's because Ninja used it to store poison darts and other items. Another thing is that they mostly used poison rings to strangle their target. Ninja were said to be able to jump 10 feet into the air.... The highest now is... 7-9 feet?
[/B][/QUOTE]

... Honestly, a nice dart to the corotid artery would do nicely without poision. The handle wasn't longer than a samurai sword, as I said before the ninja-to is one handed, samurai used two-handed swords. Why in the hell would you poision a noose? That sounds pointless if you ask me. And I will pay you 50 bucks to show me anyone who can jump 7 feet into the air. You are seriously spewing, man. If you don't know what you are talking about, stop talking.

[B] Some ninja didn't use a sword. Some used daggers, and their hands, wich had spikes on them. Another death blow, that I think is a myth is the Ninja who used their hands, ripped through their apponets chest and rip his or her heart out. They were said to also snap necks, crush spines and other things. The one's who used daggers were known to cut off heads.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Most ninja used anything they could. If you assasinated someone, it could be as easy as jamming a knife into their chest, poisioning their food, using a blowgun to administer a lethal poision, martial combat, traps, explosives, hanging, ninja-to evisceration, you name it. It is physically impossible to rip through a sternum and grab a heart, if you've ever diseccted a cadaver, you'd know how immensly resistant the human body is. Don't you think that ripping out a heart is kind of pointless? I mean, I'd wrather gouge their eyes with a finger, then use the moment to stab them or something. Snapping people's necks sounds reasonable, if they didn't have a blade or noose. Crushing spines? Please. Why the hell would you cut off a head if you could just slit the throat?

[B]Edit: I'll fix the "ninjas" [/B][/QUOTE]

Please, just... don't bother...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Drix D'Zanth [/i]
[B]I forgive you :P

No, the Ninja-to was almost exactly like the samurai sword, the length being the only difference. It allowed the ninja-to to be wielded with the same speed one-handed. And this was their primary weapon.

Uhh yeah, I bet you saw it on TV then. When I think unblockable attack, i think ultimate corc-screw. A nice Nagitana pointed a bit over my head could easily abate the ninja's actions. Also, they weren't weaker than samurai (no s), they just killed in stealth. Samurai had a habit of meeting on open ground, duel or battlefeild. Any samurai could probably whoop a ninja hand to hand, that's why a ninja would happily slit the samurai's throat while he slept. I know I would.

Most of the info is fact. Becoming invisible... flying? Nono, that is myth if you SEARCH for that kind of junk. Ninja never claimed to fly.... You are riding on some "iron monkey' hollywood stereotype. Stop. Please.

... Honestly, a nice dart to the corotid artery would do nicely without poision. The handle wasn't longer than a samurai sword, as I said before the ninja-to is one handed, samurai used two-handed swords. Why in the hell would you poision a noose? That sounds pointless if you ask me. And I will pay you 50 bucks to show me anyone who can jump 7 feet into the air. You are seriously spewing, man. If you don't know what you are talking about, stop talking.

Most ninja used anything they could. If you assasinated someone, it could be as easy as jamming a knife into their chest, poisioning their food, using a blowgun to administer a lethal poision, martial combat, traps, explosives, hanging, ninja-to evisceration, you name it. It is physically impossible to rip through a sternum and grab a heart, if you've ever diseccted a cadaver, you'd know how immensly resistant the human body is. Don't you think that ripping out a heart is kind of pointless? I mean, I'd wrather gouge their eyes with a finger, then use the moment to stab them or something. Snapping people's necks sounds reasonable, if they didn't have a blade or noose. Crushing spines? Please. Why the hell would you cut off a head if you could just slit the throat?

Please, just... don't bother... [/B][/QUOTE]

[i]The ninja sword (ninja-to) was different than that of the samurai. The long sword that the samurai carried was made of high-carbon steel, and took months to have made. They were hand made specially for each samurai, taking great care to make a very high quality sword. It was so sharp that it could easily cut a man in two, even through their armor. The length of the samurai swords averaged around 26 1/2 to 37 inches.

The ninja sword was considerably shorter, only 24 inches, and the quality of the swords was much poorer. The reason for the poorer quality was the way they used the sword as opposed to the way the samurai used theirs. Samurai would swing their sword, severing limbs and slashing at the opponent. Ninja, on the other hand, used the sword more in a stabbing motion. To use the blade of the ninja sword effectively you would have to use a sawing motion when the blade came in contact with the opponents flesh.

Another reason for the poor quality of the swords is that since ninja were mostly mountain people and outlaws, they could not afford to hire expert sword smiths like the samurai could. Also their own sword smiths did not have access to the right resources to be able to make curved edge swords with well constructed blades. If a Ninja could overcome a samurai he would take his swords, simply because they are better.

Although the ninja sword was smaller and poorer quality, it still had its advantages. The scabbard for instance was made longer than the sword, about 3 to 4 inches longer. At the end of the scabbard there was a hidden compartment that was used to hide small weapons such as spikes, daggers or small amounts of poisons. Another use the sword had was that it could act as a small step by jamming the blade into the ground, the ninja could use the hand-guard as a step to get that extra height needed to scale a wall. Because the blade was not very sharp, the ninja could also use it as a hammer by holding onto the blade (carefully) and hitting with the handle. Also it was common to have the tip of the scabbard come off so it could be used as a snorkel.

Another reason for using the Ninja sword was so that the ninja would be ale to weild it within small corridors on various missions.[/i]

Source, [url]http://www.entertheninja.com/ninja_weapons/swords.shtml[/url]

*snicker* I love your reference, the banner that says "Infinately cool, forever wicked. A style that will kick you in the pants." Sounds alot like [url]www.realultimatepower.net[/url] to me, but that's beside the point.

So the ninja sword was used for stabbing, and the samurai for slashing. Alright, I can belive that :D And you must understand, samurai were traditinally hired nobles or extremely skilled generals(except the yari samurai, etc I'm talking no-datchi). Samurai could afford this stuff. If the ninja-to was affordable, the ninja used it, primary weapon, pure and simple. Sure it was poorer, but they made up for it in a change in fighting style (stabbing). *sighs* I'll admit they weren't 'exactly' like samurai swords.

You also support my fact that the ninja could not handle the samurai in one on one combat. :)

But, no info on the magical 10-foot jumping, poision noose-weilding, heart-ripping ninjas that you seem to be so fond of.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by a bunch of people [/i]
[B]The sword Xaru was talking about was probably the ninja-to, much like the samurai sword, but about half the length.

The ninja sword was considerably shorter, only 24 inches, and the quality of the swords was much poorer. The reason for the poorer quality was the way they used the sword as opposed to the way the samurai used theirs. Samurai would swing their sword, severing limbs and slashing at the opponent. Ninja, on the other hand, used the sword more in a stabbing motion. To use the blade of the ninja sword effectively you would have to use a sawing motion when the blade came in contact with the opponents flesh.

The ninja sword was nothing like the samurai sword. It was less quality because they rarely used it in a battle.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, yes. I collect swords (mostly japanese, but I'm looking for a good claymore) and the ninjas [i]did[/i] use shorter swords, but they were often straight, also. A lot of the time they painted the blades black so they (the swords, not the ninjas:p) wouldn't shine in the night. Samurai often carried shorter swords, too (wakizashi). Overall, the Orientals were just plain smarter than the Europeans, who would carry just one 40-60 pound sword.

[QUOTE][i] Originally posted by Xaru Silverfire [/i]
[B]most information about ninja are myths. For instance, becoming invisable, having the strenght of 10 men, and flying.
[/B][/QUOTE]

They can't fly? They can't [i]fly[/i]?!?!? Well, crap. There goes [i]my[/i] life's ambition.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Circuit/J [/i]
[B]They can't fly? They can't [i]fly[/i]?!?!? Well, crap. There goes [i]my[/i] life's ambition. [/B][/QUOTE] [SIZE=1]Heh.
--
Why are you writing a story about them if you don't know anything about them? / Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, it just seems kind of odd.[/SIZE]

[color=indigo]I am not sure where some of you guys are getting your information from. Ninja were not super human killing machines that assassinated their targets with a flashy arsenal of aerial combat maneuvers.

A clan of ninja could be comprised of men and women that were usually sold to or adopted by the clan leader at a young age. From an early age disciples were trained in the use of explosives, poisons, flying weapons (darts, shaken, crossbows, throwing knives, all usually dipped in poison), short cutting weapons (such as knives and short swords?like the ninja-to that has been mentioned), and firearms.

A ninja, or group of ninja, were usually only used for one mission. After the assassination the ninja responsible were expected to commit suicide (a ritual of one group of Ninja was to scratch the back of their hand with a poisoned instrument and then jam a knife through their throat underneath the jaw bone). This is all very broad information though. There were several well known clans of Ninja, and I would guess that each had various techniques and rituals that they followed? [/color]

alright, i have read in depth about real Ninja's and heres what i know. First thing first, the proper term is Shinobi. But i'll use Ninja since its shorter.

1. Ninjutsu: Teh art of stealth used by Ninja's that include climbing walls, hiding in the shados, using distrations, and blending in with there natural envirotment, etc.

2. TaiJutsu: The hand to hand combat system used by Ninja. It is not unlike JuJutsu, but i. It has an Inveses on Body Dynamics and using the whole body as a weapon. It also deasl alot with coordinating body rhythm. It also has an inveses on ending an opponents life in a single blow.

3. Kuinoichi: Female Ninja who, in amny points, have an advatage over there male counter parts because they can use sex as a weapon. They are sedutctesses and great masters of disguise.

4. Poisons and Medicines: the ninja have the ability to make powerful medicines and deadly poisones out of there surroundings. They are there own pharmasists and have deep knowledg of herbs and roots.

5. WEapons: Ninja's use a varied amount of weapons. the Famous Katana, Sai's (think Electra from Dare Devil), the Shuriken (stars and small knives), Spike Gloves (steel gloves with metal spikes on the palms that allow the Ninja to climb almost any surface, etc. There are many.

6. Feild Tactics: Ninja can use there surrounding in many ways. If it is winter, they will wear white shinobi-ta's instead of black. They can climb alomost any surface, and they know how to lay low and blend in with anythihng.

7.Escape: Ninja have the ability to escape from almost anything. They know how to un-hinge there limbs from the sockets and can usite temselves from most knots. But if this is impossible, they'll either bite there tounges off and bleed to death or take a suicide pill. they are also masters of escape from any kind of prison cell.

8. Equiment: jsut check the Naruto site, thats pretty accurate exceot for the scrolls.

9.Training: Young Ninja are either born into Ninja families or are adopted (kindnapped) from birth. They go threw rigorous training which includes learing to sleep on a tree branch without falling (balance) and fighitng on a narrow board that crosses a mountain ravein without falling, but they train for this by doing it over a river. (Strenght) they learn to hang from tree branch for hours without tiring and other excercises. (speed) they run for miles each day and eventually have a test were they must run with an unattached straw mat on there chest with out lettign it fall i.e. using the wind of there speed to keep it up. They eventually have the stamina to run for 50 miles without tiring. There are many excorses.

Extra Info:

~The Ninja use finger weaving singnals in meditation and often do so for days on end.

~The Ninja are decendets from China. The Chinese Ninja have a history ranging to 500 b.c.

~The golden age of the shinobi was from 1192 - 1333.

~other tools they used were Caltrops, which were steel spikes they droped on he floor to stab the opponents feet and keep them form following and a grappling hook as a tol and weapon.

Hope that helps.