OtakuBoards

Greek drama anyone?

Artemis

I have to write an analysis paper in my English class based on "Antigone", "Oedipus Rex", "Medea", or a combo of them. I've decided the Sophocles (author of the first two) is too stuffy, so I'm gonna write something on Euripides. So, my question for everyone is, of the main four Greek playwrights, who's your fave and why? Or, if you don't really care about the playwrights, what your fave play and why? (By the way, the main four are Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, and Aristophanes.) The first three wrote tragedies. Aristophanes wrote comedies.
Peace out!

I really liked Oedipus rex actually. It was so funny how everything just turned out the wrong way for Oedipus :) And we played Antigone in class, which was fun so I kinda like that one too.
But generally, I think I like Euripides' plays better... Don't know why

From what I've heard, Sophocles is generally considered the best, but Euripides was the most modern for their time. I just finished writing a 6 page paper on Euripides last night *cries to self* so I'm a bit sick of him at the moment. *giggles* But, yeah, I'd have to say that Sophocles definitely comes second as far as my favorites go. (We talked about doing Antigone when I was in 8th grade, and I was going to play the lead, so I definitely appreciate that play.)
~Art~

• 1 month later...
[size=1][color=maroon]I've always liked Medea, not because the "heroine" kills a whole bunch of people, but because what Euripedes wrote was so completely [i]different[/i]. We're talking about ancient Greece here; the only citizens in Greece were men with land and power. Women didn't have a whole lot of say, and definitely weren't fully appreciated (according to what Euripedes wrote, anyway). Not to say that they were all treated like crap, but you get the general idea.

But for Euripedes to write Medea... can't you imagine what sort of shock it had on people? Here's a woman, [i]a foreigner to the city[/i], no less, speaking out against her husband and the King. And in the end, she's the one who gets the last laugh. The play was totally ahead of it's time.

Now, it should be known that I don't exactly condone killing your children and all that. I admire Medea because she was strong and clever, but to call her a "tragic hero" is pushing it - she was a little too blood thirsty to be a true heroine. But that's just my opinion.

Whoo, I love theatre.[/color][/size]

• 2 months later...
Euripides was an incredible playwright. There was a lot of forward thinking on his part. It's too bad that most of his colleagues belittled him....(aristophanes in particular)
As for Medea, I would [i]love[/i] to portray her on stage (Lady Macbeth and Ophelia would be fun, too...) even though I don't take drama (can't stand the teacher). Medea has such a depth of character, a psyche that's not seen in non-euripidean Greek drama.
~art~

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Pinball_Wizard [/i]
[B]I haven't done anything on Greak Tregety yet :(, but I have done some more modern plawrights like Artoud, Brect and Stanislavski (there was another one who created 'theatre of the oppresed', but I can't remember his name. I think it began with a 'B'?). Does anyonehave an opinion on these guys? [/B][/QUOTE]

Off-T: The "Theatre of the Oppressed" was founded by Augusto Boal, and it is a form of theatre that I absolutely adore. For those of you who don't know what that is, basically, the actors act out a scene of oppression, but without a solution, and they encourage the audience to participate in solving the problem that is presented. Lots of improvisation, but it really gets people thinking so the audience is never passive. Excellent.

On-T: I just took a class on Classical Myth this past quarter, and one of our assignments was to read Euripides' "Herakles," which I enjoyed immensely! As for playwrights I love reading, I've taken several Developmental Theatre classes in which I've had to read loads of plays, and I find that I rather enjoy 'recent' plays, a lot more than Greek Tragedy. "Waiting for Godot" is absolutely wonderful, though not much really happens XD I didn't know what to expect the first time I encountered that play, which was why it appealed to me so much. And the word play that goes between the two main characters is fabulous! I don't care too much for Brecht, or rather, what I read of his works. I only read "Mother Courage," and it was only efficient in putting me to sleep. "Hedda Gabler" by Ibsen is enjoyable. She is one of the most interesting female characters I've ever read about. "Children's Hour" by Lillian Hellman reminds me a bit of "The Crucible," but it's still a great read. I also enjoyed reading "Uncle Vanya" by Chekov, though, not much happens. It basically tells the story of the everyday life of a family, but the writing is excellent. One of my absolute favorites, however, is "What the Butler Saw" by Joe Orton! It follows the elements of a 'well-made-play,' but he twists the situations around in a hilarious and unconventional way. It was such a joy to read!

I can't think of any more plays on the spot, but those are a few of the ones that I enjoy!

• 1 month later...
Hmm... modern drama...as far as theatre goes, I think I prefer musicals. Then again, I'm a really big music person. Right now, I'm listening to the Secret Garden soundtrack. I think it's pretty good. In March, I'll be in the chorus of Jekyll and Hyde at my school. Over the summer, I saw both Footloose and The Scarlet Pimpernel (the latter being far better in my opinion.) My dream is to some day see The Phantom of the Opera. *sighs* As to normal theater, I'd like to look more into Oscar Wilde (I love "The Importance of Being Earnest"!) Last year, I read Bus Stop by William Inge simply because he's one of the only playwrights from Kansas. The man, from what I've seen, was rather crazy. The play is interesting, but don't see the movie...*pukes* Marilyn Manroe's in it. She turns it a little too melodramatic. go figure...

[color=indigo][font=century][size=1]I really enjoyed Antigone; I thought it was a classic and intriguing story. ^__^

Oedipus Rex, on the other hand, was pretty lame. In the first act, Oedipus hypotosizes the hidden secret of his curse, then instantly dismisses it. The rest of the play is simply him finding out that he was, in fact, right the first time. THere was really no drama or suspense, although it had a few good moments. However, overall, it felt anti-climatic.

I'm very impressed by Antigone; I'm surprised she could walk, considering how inbred she was...[/color][/size][/font]

Last year in 10th grade, my class and I read the play of "Antigone." I have to admit that it was a very good play I've ever read. It had a very sad ending though, but the drama was terrific. I couldn't understand it at first, but somehow it made since in the ending. The story of "Oedipus" was very dramatic. I'll admit one thing though, it really freaked me out big time. I was totally shocked while listening to the story, but I'd cooled off a while later. Reading Greek plays was really cool; just like plays in Ancient Rome times and Shakesphere times. I like poetry better, but plays always catch my vote.