NashvilleDream Posted October 1, 2003 Posted October 1, 2003 I want to join the ski club at my school, It costs 180.00 for non rental, and 240.00 for rental. My mom wants me to do the non-rental, because I own skis, but I want to do the rental because I'm already a very advanced skier and I want to try snowboarding. How do I convince her to let me rent?
AzureWolf Posted October 1, 2003 Posted October 1, 2003 If money's the problem, find a way you can compromise to either: A. pay the $60 difference yourself or if you don't have 60 bucks, B. find a way you can "work-off" those 60 dollars (i.e., give the next few weeks' salary/allowance to her to pay back the $60)
NashvilleDream Posted October 1, 2003 Author Posted October 1, 2003 it's not the money, she just wants me to not rent because I own skis, but I want to rent a snowboard because I am a advanced skier and I want to try something new.
Plasma Tsukasa Posted October 1, 2003 Posted October 1, 2003 Yeah, those are good. Also, if you can, try guilting...ok, [b]conning[/b] for cash. Not something lame, like "Everyone else is!" stuff ([u]everyone[/u] uses this excuse, so why should they think you'll be alone in that?), but instead, try telling them why you want the money followed by some "rule" that certain "things" need a reantal fee ([i]"Yeah, I'd be spending, like, 10$ a day alone for the lift, so why not just let me pay the rental fee so I won't have to spend all that money"[/i]). In any case, you're lucky to go skiing. I'm not poor, but even with my job, that stuff costs too much for me...
Baron Samedi Posted October 1, 2003 Posted October 1, 2003 Get a job and pay for it yourself. Or you could just be happy with what you have got, and not whinge. * I want, I want, I want* Bleh. Just work for it yourself like most people do. It amazingly seems to work!
NashvilleDream Posted October 1, 2003 Author Posted October 1, 2003 ummm... where can a 13 year old get a job?
Ares Posted October 1, 2003 Posted October 1, 2003 Well, you could do a paper route, which pays pretty well. Or you could just tell your mother that you really want to rent a snowboard and then you could see which one you liked better.
Plasma Tsukasa Posted October 1, 2003 Posted October 1, 2003 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Ares [/i] [B]Well, you could do a paper route, which pays pretty well. Or you could just tell your mother that you really want to rent a snowboard and then you could see which one you liked better. [/B][/QUOTE] Yeah, but what if the mom decides [i]"Wait, she has skis! Why should I get her something that'll cost double if not TRIPLE what those cost?!"[/i]
NashvilleDream Posted October 1, 2003 Author Posted October 1, 2003 A paper route and mowing lawns are not possible where I live, and there is no sweatshop near where I live. Besides, there is no way I can get a job and still keep up my grades, I'm having enough problems as it is.
Plasma Tsukasa Posted October 1, 2003 Posted October 1, 2003 Well... *tries to pull an idea from the "usual place"...* Sorry, can't think of a thing right now...kinda tired, I guess.
Baron Samedi Posted October 1, 2003 Posted October 1, 2003 Just forget about it. You can try to pursuade her, but hell, at least you get to go skiing.
NashvilleDream Posted October 2, 2003 Author Posted October 2, 2003 but what's the point in doing something for fun that isn't fun?
eleanor Posted October 2, 2003 Posted October 2, 2003 [size=1] *rolls eyes* I am 13 years old, my mother doesn't pay me for doing anything around the house [or anything else], there are absoulte no kids in my neigborhood to babysit, and my parents aren't friends with anybody around my area, we don't even know our neighbor's names, and I'm a minor. Where do [i]you[/i] expect me to get a job, Baron? You could make a deal with your mom, maybe. Pull up your grades, maybe she'll allow it. When you get bad grades, most parents tend to limit your privileges. It happened to me. You can save up your allowance and wait until next year, if you're that ambitious about learning how to snowboard. Or, you could enjoy skiing for a year and wait until next year and see if your mom changes her mind. The more advanced you are in skiing, the harder it is to learn how to snowboard. It was really a hassle for me, after skiing about 12 years. [/size]
Baron Samedi Posted October 2, 2003 Posted October 2, 2003 Well, don't do it then. No skin off my nose. You asked what we thought you should do, and I told you. maladjusted: I can only base my opinions on my own area. Kids are allowed to work in fast food shops, at least here they are. A kid who is 13 works at the supermarket. They are not that hard to find, at least here.
eleanor Posted October 2, 2003 Posted October 2, 2003 [size=1] *moves to Baron's neighborhood* I thought that was like Child Labor or something. ....I'm just kidding. *walks away*[/size]
Drix D'Zanth Posted October 2, 2003 Posted October 2, 2003 Guys... charlie, nashville.. the 1 sentence posts are severely lacking. Keep on topic, there's no need to post smalltalk. I think I'll let some more people post their suggestions, then probably close this as there's not much more to discuss...
Guest wingless_cherub Posted October 2, 2003 Posted October 2, 2003 why not buy your own snowboard and not worry about renting. So that way if you bomb the snowboarding thing then you can be all "See, I told you I should have been allowed the rent-fe" blah blah blah I told-ya-so kind of thing...
Fyxe Posted October 2, 2003 Posted October 2, 2003 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wingless_cherub [/i] [B]why not buy your own snowboard and not worry about renting. So that way if you bomb the snowboarding thing then you can be all "See, I told you I should have been allowed the rent-fe" blah blah blah I told-ya-so kind of thing... [/B][/QUOTE] [SIZE=1][COLOR=darkblue]Well, that might work... but then money comes back into play. Snowboards cost a pretty penny, especially if you want a nice looking one. And the problem that she has proved is that she can't find a job. Another thing... I would be [I]DEAD[/I] if I went around going around doing the told-ya-so thing. O_O;; Dangerous waters there. Here is what you can do: Make a list of reasons why you want to rent and give it to your mom. Try and find a job in your free time.(I'm sure you can get [I]some[/I] kind of job where you live.) Just ya know... make a goal out of it. If you really want it, you can always get it. ^_^ I hope I helped and I hope you do pass that goal to rent![/COLOR][/SIZE]
Recommended Posts