OtakuBoards

Population overwhelming?!?

AutoKill

Do you feel that this is a valid concern?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel that this is a valid concern?

• Yes
    • No
    • undecided

Guest PhoenixFlame
Well artemis your right sorta...population isn't an issue considering humans are endangered...as many of us there are now there should be MUCH MORE!

[quote][i]originally posted by Artemis[/i]
I really don't think that overpopulation is an issue that will ever been that serious in our lifetime. People over-exagerrate it.
[/quote]

So, you are perfectly happy to do nothing about it, and let your child, or your child's child, or even your child's child's child deal with it eh? You, as a wonderful blah de blah blah christian, would not worry about leaving a problem for your descendants? I find that appallling. As A wise man once said

[quote] We hand the world down to our children[/quote]

Anything we don't try to affect and help now, will just compound itself and be worse for our children.

Guest PhoenixFlame
Hmmm well catholics are very closed minded..

[COLOR=indigo]I've asked you before to clean up your posts. I sincerely suggest you improve your post quality and explination beyond this peice of .... piffle. ~Drix[/COLOR]

I fear getting off topic, so I'm going to give my utter and full opinion after rebutting Autokill, again.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by AutoKill [/i]
[B]Drix D'Zanth,
You seemed to mess up on a lot of your coding. :therock:
Seems like we have came back to the same crossroad that we always do. You believe in god, and religion. So you think you are special above every other creature on the face of this earth.
I am atheist. I believe that we are just another creature that is at the top of the food chain. Kind of like T-rex was during their era.
We have once again met at this stop of indifference. First it was population control, then you made a very stupid post about how animal rights activist are stupid because some of them believe in the strongest survive. Then ultimately i bring up something about the mass killing of creatures on this earth, and once again you justify it by saying. Oh god made us the strongest so we could kill anything we want to. Sure it?s not what you said word for word. But that?s how am going to take what you said. And basically that?s what you said. That god gave us the honor of being the top of the food chain because we are the special creatures of earth. So I guess whatever makes you sleep at night.:sleepy:
[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm glad you have no concept of the sovereignty of humanity. You don't belive in a soul or conscience. To you, animals are the SAME as humans. Wonderful, I've now lost all respect for your opinions, as they don't hold any more substance than a cow's "moo." Unless you choose to defy your own philosophy.

Yes, I believe we have arbitrary power over all animal life on earth. Does that mean I WANT to slaughter animals and kill species? Probably not. But will I exchange a human life for an endangered spotted owl? Sorry, the owl's gotta go in that case. Humans are ascended above the animal through the endowments of conscience, imagination, independent will, and self-awarness. I've deduced these 4 endowments as fairly exclusive to homo sapien. If you want to argue this, take it to PM

[B]I know I am a hypocrite. I take advantage of being at the top of the food chain. But I don?t try to justify myself by saying god meant it to be so. I wish I could change society to become less harmful to the planet. Yes, less harmful. I don?t think we intentionally kill off animals and hurt the ecosystem. We do it by accident. I was trying to say we should be more careful. That?s just my opinion.[/B][/QUOTE]

Then how do you justify it? I'd hope that you don't hold my own belief system against me when you don't have one yourself... I don't have a problem with being more careful, but I think so far we are doing a hell of a lot better than any unwritten rule would dictate.

[B]I also saw that you didn?t say anything to my last post. You just quoted me and gave up. Am deeply disappointed.:bawl: I know I usually don?t try to quote you. It takes to much time to do the coding. And it really is only flattery. BUT.... I cant resists. :angry3:
[/B][/QUOTE]

the coding? you mean {quote}{/quote} ("[" instead of "{"). Ouch. Yes, I know when I have to read through your rebuttle, I'm thinking "flattery" the entire time. It seems to me like you're flattering yourself.

[B]No. I am not prejudice. If anything am jealous. There are mine animals in the world that are fascinating to me. Please don?t imply something that rude to label me as.:cussing: [/B][/QUOTE]

I was kidding...

Finally, I respect your opinions, as much as I disagree with them. Keep that in mind.
-----------------------

The world grows approximately %1.6/year. Alright, that's a LOT of people. You know how many people DIE? Honestly, almost half the world lives off of less than 2 dollars a week.

I think overpopulation isn't so much a land issue, nor a resource issue. I think overpopulation brings to bear alot of the world that is in dire straights.

The US lives WELL, very WELL compared to the rest of the world. The entire "breadbasket" provides enough grain to feed the ENTIRE world several times over. I think we live in a world without much leadership. Alot of countries don't know how to take care of their people or provide for them. Foreign aid can only doo so much. It's like putting a bandaid on a severed artery. It's going to keep bleeding, the bandaid's only going to help so much.

I don't think the UN is the solution. The UN is a bandaid, and it's corrupt beurocracy is starting to rot itself inside-out. It's been reduced to a bickering mass of countries who's arbitrary powers care little or anything except their own administration. Alot of the world is held in the bondage of their own governments.

I'm not sure what the answer is... I know new diseases will inadvertantly rise from such a population explosion. I also know conventional wars will be going on, hell, today over 110 wars are being fought around the world; 100 are civil wars. Personally, I think something big's going to happen, but that's just my faith talking...

This really is an important topic, but I think that a lot of what is being said boils down to angsty, cheap remarks. You really can't justify human-caused extinctions of animals so easily. It is a moral issue that probably doesn't need to have religion play a part specifically. Problem is that a large number of species are killed for no good reason. Under-intelligent people in asia kill tigers because they think they can harvest some aphrodesiac from them? Is there really any good reason for people to get ivory by killing elephants? Some of the things we do is plain foolish.

Why its not OK to lose species like they are nothing is called biological diversity. It truly is important for the human existence.

Population is a problem, albeit locally. The US doesn't worry too much about overpopulation, nor do a lot of economically well off areas. It is pretty much proven that poorer and less educated people have more children. It creates a cycle in nations that are not well off (Ethiopia, etc.). Not to mention that people are settled in areas with little agricultural resources. Our government sends food aid, and they become dependent on it. Thats a problem as well except who could sit back and watch them starve if we have tons of food to share.

Basically there are no easy answers, but I would start with education.

(oh and Drix's survival of the fittest ideas are really really foolish, just to be catty)

[quote][i]Originally posted by Drix D'Zanth[/i][b]Then how do you justify it? I'd hope that you don't hold my own belief system against me when you don't have one yourself... I don't have a problem with being more careful, but I think so far we are doing a hell of a lot better than any unwritten rule would dictate.[/b][/quote]

I don't try to justify it. If i feel something is wrong and un-moral to myself. Then i simply don?t do it. For instance, If i were playing some inter-net game. Say that this game is Starcraft (Broodwar) and there is a program that lets you cheat in a certain way, giving you an advantage. *cough*Maphack*cough*, I have the mind set that I would not want that advantage. So I wouldn?t get the hack. That?s how my "Belief system? works.

I feel bad about killing off animals. Can i prevent harming other animals as a person, Yes. Can i help society from preventing harming animals, Possibly very little. So there really isn?t much i can justify.
Then again if it came down to a deer, and me (and say this deer was the last one on the world) And we had to fight to the death to survive. I would do my hardest to kick that deer?s ***. But i still would have a hard time parting with it.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Drix D'Zanth[/i][b]the coding? you mean {quote}{/quote} ("[" instead of "{"). Ouch. Yes, I know when I have to read through your rebuttle, I'm thinking "flattery" the entire time. It seems to me like you're flattering yourself.[/b]

No not that. The last comment I made.
[quote][i]Originally posted by AutoKill[/i]
[b]Are you a idiot?... It is natures fault that or immune system is to weak to protect humans that live on a completely different continent???... I know you said your ?serious?... but I beg that you re-think what you have just said.[/b][/quote]

You seem to make a effort by putting this cute guy.
:laugh:

I do value your opinions. Am no one to say that am completely right. But in society we have to make a decision on these types of things. And even if population control isn?t a factor. We still should have some type of idea on what we would do in that situation. Almost like a fire evacuation drill. :idea:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Baron Samedi [/i]
[B]So, you are perfectly happy to do nothing about it, and let your child, or your child's child, or even your child's child's child deal with it eh? You, as a wonderful blah de blah blah christian, would not worry about leaving a problem for your descendants? I find that appallling. As A wise man once said

Anything we don't try to affect and help now, will just compound itself and be worse for our children. [/B][/QUOTE]

No, I'm not happy with the world we'll be leaving for our children. But I think the social issues we're dealing with are more important than the evironmental ones. For one, I'd like to make sure there are children to pass the world down to. The decline of moral values in America (chiefly) is what really worries me. If we get into a mindset of who's important enough to have living space and who's not, we'll become a utilitarian nation. People will no longer have dignity for being human, only for what they can provide for us. (And, yes, humans are above animals. We have immortal souls.)
Once we get these more important issues cleared up, we can work on overpopulation.
By the way, PhoenixFlame, Catholics aren't nearly as closed-minded as you think. Liberals are actually more so. If you don't think w/in the sacred realm of Political Correctness, you're a bigot. :naughty:
~artemis~