OtakuBoards

Dagger's banners

Dagger

Well, I wouldn't say it's "DARK"..... just sad kind of..... I DON"T KNOW! It's a very nice banner, though. I like the way the light comes from the corner like that, very nice. I also like your picture and frame/border. Great job! (of course, what else is there to be expected in your work but greatness?)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rttocs77
Wow those are really good. So now I know what it is you're making in photoshop when I see you in the comp. room.

Oh, Oh!! Can you make me one of Shinji with 'rttocs77' on it? It would be very much appreciated. :) Similar to Transtic Nerve's banner. I like the jumbled/blended look.

With perhaps some Asuka* thrown in there?

*That is the German girl's name right? I haven't seen NGE since...hmm like 3.5 years ago.

Guest rttocs77
WOW THANKS! It's so...so...good and so...orgasmic. You are awesome at this! Thanks so much!*

*For that and for last night :smoke:

Also, we are in B.C. together this winter!

Looking through the thread Dagger, all your banners are simply beautiful. I really like them all, you've done a really good job with making all of them. As for the latest EVA banner, the only thing I don't like about it is that the two pics of Shinji come so close together. Other then that, perfect. ^^ My favorite banner out of all the ones you've posted would have to be your first banner. The RahXephon banner in the gray scale. I personally like transparency effects, I think it goes well with the banner. Also like your Chobits banner that you had recently posted. The words kind of seem like they have a glowing aura around them. And you did a great job on having one side darker and the other one gradually getting lighter with different colors. Great job, Dagger IX1.

Ruby, your comment inspired me to try my hand at some more grayscale. ^__^

I've never seen Angel Sanctuary, and I still don't plan to watch it, but I love the show's artistic style. So I threw together a few images of some Sanctuary characters. The original pictures were very intricately drawn, so I tried not to make the banner too cluttered.

I would have added some text--if not for the fact that I have no idea what kind of quote would suit the tone of the show. Ah well.

Now, I have a question for all of you more experienced banner-makers out there. So far, I've been making my borders by using Photoshop's line tool. They end up looking rather Spartan, although they're perfectly adequate for the purposes of defining the shape of the banner. What might I do to make more interesting borders?

~Dagger~

Dagger, Dagger, Dagger. . . .you are amazing. i suppose i can go in order from when i last posted. first off the banner you are using right now is so incredibly beautiful! where did you say that was from? Shamanic Princess? what is that?
I disagree with AzureWolf about the banner you made for Arcadia. i thought the picture was beautiful, as is the background. the blackness all over/around her kind of makes her look more erie.
That Vampire Princess Miyu is . . . . . . . . . im speechless. i love it so. the red and black just sets her off. nicely done.
and your Ah! My Goddess banner. . . . . . .wow. so pretty. who is that girl you used? its very nice. the yellow background is lovely.
now comes quite possibly my absolute favorite banner you have done. Chobbits. that pciture is great: great quality, great cropping, great pic. and i like the yellow stuff that is behind the words. what exactly is it back there? but its just gorgeous!
your last banner is beautiful as well. i dont think it needs text. let it be one where the person who is looking at it gets what they get from teh pictures.
i dont use photo shop so i cannot help you. sowie. i think you are now on my list of greats. fight behind Dan Rugh. who is behind Kaola Sue. so you are #3. congrats! ^__^
keep it up!
~haze

[quote]Now, I have a question for all of you more experienced banner-makers out there. So far, I've been making my borders by using Photoshop's line tool. They end up looking rather Spartan, although they're perfectly adequate for the purposes of defining the shape of the banner. What might I do to make more interesting borders?[/quote]

Grr... first of all man don't use the line tool to make borders :P here's a simpler method. --->

1. Select the color for your border and create a New Layer (= Border layer)
2. Ctrl + A (select all image)
3. Edit > stroke: inside by 1 (whatever number you choose depends the thickness of your border I usually use size 2 once in a while size 3 pixel width).

Yep and there's your border =P.

One thing you can do is do a double border. *For example* first make sure your color is white (any color will do) then select the entire image (ctrl + a) then go to...

edit>>> stroke inside by 4

then change your color to blue and select the entire image again and go to...

edit>>> stroke inside by 2.

w00t w00t? Now you have a border inside a border...

Another good "border" effect can be achieved by just using the eraser tool and just going over the edges of the image so the image appears faded at the edges.

Personally, I do my borders before I even do the rest of the image. If I add the borders last, it generally conflicts with the image I made... especially in smaller banners where a space of one pixel is rather important. In that case, it really doesn't matter what you do, although the stroke option can obviously be used.

Many thanks for your advice, Hittokiri and Semjaza. It was extremely helpful... I feel slightly stupid for not having figured those things out on my own. >_>

Here's an odd little banner that I just finished making. Its text was taken from a poem (not by me), which reads:

"After the black bottom of the storm
scuds across the lake, and the beech tree
throws its dead or dying branches down,
the lake begins to sing. In the afterstorm,
lighter clouds passing through behind the front
fling a few shapes on the water, smaller drops
like tiny bells ringing on the surface.
This is the sound of water falling into water:
the sizzle of bacon frying, or the steady breath
of wet sheets flying on the line, like
the old priest with his laundry yesterday
running from the storm, his robes dark with rain,
ducking into the church to meet someone
for confession. The whisper of their voices
flowing through the cloth on the wall
pours through the window
with the clear truth of the falling rain."

~Dagger~

Guest rttocs77
Since I know you have oh so much time on your hands, and make fairly decent banners, I have another request. Please make a gorgeous one with the four main characters of NGE(Asuka, Rei, Shinji, and that lady i forgot her name that owns pen pen) Like merged together and dramatic looking with the faded text in the background like on the banner you just summited. I also would like it to be perfect. Ready. Set.

GO!

Alright, Belldandy, here's your first banner. It's a little plain. I made it before you returned my PM... so... yeah. Tell me if you want one of Kamui instead, and I'll be glad to make it.

EDIT: Sure, Naru, I'll give it a shot. ^__^

~Dagger~

Guest rttocs77
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dagger IX1 [/i]
[B]Alright, Belldandy, here's your first banner. It's a little plain. I made it before you returned my PM... so... yeah. Tell me if you want one of Kamui instead, and I'll be glad to make it.

EDIT: Sure, Naru, I'll give it a shot. ^__^

~Dagger~ [/B][/QUOTE]

I think it should be known that I played a very very important part in the creation of the above stated banner.

I am still waiting for mine though.

Ready. Set.

GO!

Guest rttocs77
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dagger IX1 [/i]
[B]I'm working on your banner at this very moment. In the meantime, here's a Gravitation banner. I'm not terribly happy with how it turned out (too much pink!), but it was the best I could do with the images I found.

~Dagger~ [/B][/QUOTE]

A little too pink for my taste. I think I would personally prefer all white, ala Phillipe Starck.

Concerning my banner request:

Read. Set.

GO!

Guest rttocs77
Hm it's pretty good, could you make the background white and add fading black text with the lyrics of "fly me to the moon"

Merci beaucoup

[color=teal]EDIT:[/color] uhm, Dagger where the hell is my banner?

[color=teal]Please do not double post. There is an Edit button at the bottom of your posts, and you are required to use it whether or not a thread is at the bottom of the page. Your second post is inacceptable as it is, by the way; be grateful that Dagger is giving you a banner at all. -Syk3[/color]

Alright, rttocs, I altered your banner and came up with two different alternatives. Here's the one that matches your request most closely (the other has a colored background, and lacks those black ribbon-like stripes).

Belldandy: Do you have a specific picture of Kamui in mind?

~Dagger~

Belldandy Angel, here's a banner of Kamui. I wasn't quite sure what text you wanted me to add, so for the time being, I left it blank.

EDIT: Alright, since this thread was in the process of dying, I deleted that post and attached a new banner. It's rather different from most of the banners I've made so far, and I'm anxious to know whether or not it sucks (criticism is awesome... hint, hint ^_~).

If you still want to see your banner, Belldandy, I can re-attach it.

~Dagger~

[size=1]I really, really like it. The quote rocks, that goes unsaid (even though I said it), and the picture is a good one. That man has quite a bit of hair.

My only suggestion (and this is a personal preference) is that you make the entire banner the same reddish hint. Or spread the colors out more; mix them up a little bit. The red and black on opposite ends just feels a little.. weird to me. Unbalanced. Somebody else might love it that way, so who really knows.

On the whole, though, a good piece, as always. ^_^[/size]